none
MDT Deployment for UEFI based Computer for image more then 4 GB

Question

• Dear All,

Currently we are testing on deploying Windows 8 image to Surface Pro, HP Helix and etc (UEFI based PC).

From research, I found that UEFI based pc only able to bootup from FAT32 drives.

There is currently 2 solution for WIM files that bigger than 4GB (FAT32 Limitation). 1 is to split WIM files, another 1 is to create 2 drive which 1 for boot and 1 for deploy.

I am following the steps from here.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/askcore/archive/2013/03/20/creating-bootable-usb-drive-for-uefi-computers.aspx?CommentPosted=true#commentmessage

But i would like to know the details on how can I do the 2 drive? What folder should go to boot drive and what setting and folder should i apply on deploy drive.

Anyone here tested and working?  Please help.

Monday, June 17, 2013 7:04 AM

Answers

• Hi David,

Thanks for the information. However I have found the solution and fixed my problem.

The solution is simple as follow:-
    On your external USB Media, split to 2 partition, Partition 1: FAT32 (BOOT), Partition 2: NTFS (DEPLOY)

Copy the following files to partition 1, this will be the boot drive.

Copy c:\media\content\boot folder to root of the BOOT drive
    Copy c:\media\content\efi folder to root of the BOOT drive
    Copy c:\media\content\autorun.inf, bootmgr, bootmgr.efi to root of the BOOT drive
    Create Deploy folder in root of the BOOT drive
    Copy c:\media\content\deploy\boot to Deploy folder in the BOOT drive

Copy the following files to partition 2, this will be the deploy drive.
    Copy c:\media\content\deploy folder to root of the DEPLOY drive
    • Marked as answer by Kay Gan Wednesday, June 19, 2013 2:50 AM
    • Edited by Kay Gan Wednesday, June 19, 2013 2:52 AM more details
    Wednesday, June 19, 2013 2:50 AM

All replies

• Note that you only have to follow that method if you aren't using the Boot Image to just point to the MDT Deployment Share (ie, you are using a hub, USB Flash Drive, and USB --> NIC adapter vs using MDT's Offline Image / Media).  I've been imaging mine this way (hub, UFD, USB --> NIC adapter) since it's a lot easier then trying to build the USB Flash Drive as Offline Image / Media.

David Coulter | http://DCtheGeek.blogspot.com | @DCtheGeek

Monday, June 17, 2013 3:06 PM
  • Hi David,

Thanks for the information. However I have found the solution and fixed my problem.

On your external USB Media, split to 2 partition, Partition 1: FAT32 (BOOT), Partition 2: NTFS (DEPLOY)

Copy c:\media\content\autorun.inf, bootmgr, bootmgr.efi to root of the BOOT drive

• Marked as answer by Kay Gan Wednesday, June 19, 2013 2:50 AM
    • Edited by Kay Gan Wednesday, June 19, 2013 2:52 AM more details
    Wednesday, June 19, 2013 2:50 AM
  • Do you mean sources folder and not deploy?
    Wednesday, August 07, 2013 1:00 PM
  • Hi All, 

In case someone else care, I've made a fix that allow MDT 2013 to work with splited image. I've modified LTIApply.wsf to support .SWM format (This what you get when you split a WIM) and made a Powershell UI to import and split WIM images into MDT.

All infos here : http://www.osd-couture.com/2013/11/how-to-allow-mdt-2013-to-use-wim-file.html 

Thursday, November 28, 2013 12:39 PM
  • Hi David,

Hello

I have followed these steps and they work well.  But... after MDT applies the image and reboots the PC reports no bootable devices.  My USB drive is also modified.  The BOOT partition has 2 hidden files autorun.inf and bootmgr and the Boot folder.  The Deploy partition now has MININT and _SMSTaskSequence folders.  Any suggestions?

Thanks

• Edited by Ws2000 Thursday, December 05, 2013 4:48 AM update
    Thursday, December 05, 2013 4:27 AM
  • I don't know if I can advocate the solution of splitting the USB device into multiple partitions. It was my understanding that USB flash media devices only support 1 partition, and if you are using Hard Disk USB devices, then MDT might get confused that the USB device is the target device.

I can't tell what is going on from the description above, if you have the full BDD.log file, that would explain things more, please copy the bdd.log file to a public share like SkyDrive, and post the link here.

Keith Garner - keithga.wordpress.com

Thursday, December 05, 2013 11:03 PM
  • Hi,

I was trying the same approach, based on the similar explanations in the MS downloaded document on how to deploy Surface Pro Enterprise image.

I've used a Windows To Go USB stick, have a 4GB FAT32 partition and a 60GB NTFS partition. I copied the files and folders as mentioned above.

When booting from the USB device, the deployment wizard starts up fine, but then asks for the deployment share. What do I need to do to tell the deployment wizard he needs to look for the files on the NTFS partition? I tried about all letters of the alphabet, thinking it would use Y:\ as drive letter for the second partition, but no success.

Can I define the drive letter somewhere in the deployment script or bootstrap.ini or ...? (same as I assume it is somewhere defined the boot partition is always the X-drive)

Thanks for helping me out, I'm so close to having a full offline MDT media deployment ready...

Grtz, Peter

Tuesday, January 07, 2014 6:00 PM