none
Windows ADK and MDT 2013 components

Question

• Hi

I noticed that Windows ADK is installed in its 32 bit version even though I have Windows 8.1 Update 64 bit. It is correct?

Then, I installed MDT 2013 64 bit.

Now, where can I find a detailed description about the components of this MDT?

Having to customize, deploy and create some DVDs of Windows 8.1 Update 32/64 bit, what components should I download?

Thanks

Bye

Balubeto

Monday, July 28, 2014 7:32 AM

Answers

• Yes, there are some weird historical reasons why the AIK goes to "\Program Files (x86)" and MDT goes to "\Program Files". Don't over think it too much, yes it's confusing.

Some recommendations (what I install on my machine):

Keith Garner - Principal Consultant [owner] - http://DeploymentLive.com

Monday, July 28, 2014 5:01 PM

All replies

• Hi

Yes the 32-bits is correct it includes Tools for both x86 and x64.

In the help documenatation of MDT you can find description of Components included in MDT.

ADK Components that are requiered for MDT is: Deployment Tools, Windows PE and USMT.

Monday, July 28, 2014 7:52 AM
  • Hi

You will just need to install Windows ADK for Windows 8.1 found here:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=39982

ADK will include all the relevant components to create x86 and x64 images.

You should then only need to be install MicrosoftDeploymentToolkit2013_x64.msi, which will allow you to create both architecture versions of boot images and operating system images.

Monday, July 28, 2014 8:03 AM
  • Hi

Also be aware that the 64-bit version of Windows System Image Manager can only create catalog files for 64-bit images of Windows.

However with MDT it would be best to use the unattend.xml it creates as these files are NOT Windows version specific so the unattend will work with Windows 7 and Windows 8 (for example). Settings injected by using the Windows SIM are version specific.

If you need specific settings for different OSs then maybe look at leveraging the CUstomSettings.ini or use the MDT Database functionality.

Monday, July 28, 2014 8:14 AM
  • Hi

Yes the 32-bits is correct it includes Tools for both x86 and x64.

In the help documenatation of MDT you can find description of Components included in MDT.

ADK Components that are requiered for MDT is: Deployment Tools, Windows PE and USMT.

In the documentation of MDT 2013 I can not to find a detailed description about the various components that I should download. How come?

Having to use only the LTI method for customize, deploy and create some DVDs of Windows 8.1 Update 32/64 bit, what components should I download?

Thanks

Bye

Balubeto

Monday, July 28, 2014 8:56 AM
  • Yes, there are some weird historical reasons why the AIK goes to "\Program Files (x86)" and MDT goes to "\Program Files". Don't over think it too much, yes it's confusing.

Some recommendations (what I install on my machine):

Keith Garner - Principal Consultant [owner] - http://DeploymentLive.com

Monday, July 28, 2014 5:01 PM