none
Windows 8 Upgrade ... product # ?

Question

• I own and have properly installed Win7 Pro x64 on physical drive C:.

I've separate physical drive D: which was previously used in a dual-boot with Win 8 Enterprise Eval, now elapsed.

I plan to re-format (~blank) physical drive D:

I then want to purchase/install Win8 Pro x64 on drive D: so as to again provide the dual boot setup.

If I purchase Win8 Upgrade, will I be able to achieve the setup per above ?

What is the recommended MS Product Name/# for purchase & url for purchasing directly from MS ?

Saturday, August 03, 2013 9:11 PM

Answers

• It works and is widely known to work. You'll find a large number of people on these forums who have done this routinely as have I. I'm typing this reply from a dual boot Win 7/8 machine on which the upgrade version of 8 was installed on a different partition enabling me to boot either os.
    • Edited by KentIrwin Sunday, August 04, 2013 2:18 PM
    • Marked as answer by arthur000 Sunday, August 04, 2013 2:28 PM
    Sunday, August 04, 2013 2:17 PM

All replies

• Q.  "If I purchase Win8 Upgrade, will I be able to achieve the setup per above ?z'

A.  You will need to purchase a "Full Version" (and not an Upgrade version) of Windows 8.

Carey Frisch

Sunday, August 04, 2013 1:10 AM
  • I own and have properly installed Win7 Pro x64 on physical drive C:.

I've separate physical drive D: which was previously used in a dual-boot with Win 8 Enterprise Eval, now elapsed.

I plan to re-format (~blank) physical drive D:

I then want to purchase/install Win8 Pro x64 on drive D: so as to again provide the dual boot setup.

If I purchase Win8 Upgrade, will I be able to achieve the setup per above ?

What is the recommended MS Product Name/# for purchase & url for purchasing directly from MS ?

Yes, you can use the upgrade version of Win 8 for a clean installation on your D drive. The upgrade will recognize your Win 7 os on C and allow you to do a custom installation on a clean D. See this http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windows-8/a/clean-install-windows-8-upgrade.htm
    Sunday, August 04, 2013 10:20 AM
  • Thx Carey & Kent for your replies.

Carey says must use FULL ver &

Kent suggests UPGRADE ver is appropriate, resulting in Both systems functional.

We've not yet detailed Kent's link, so Not 100% Sure as to correct answer.

?

Sunday, August 04, 2013 2:13 PM
  • It works and is widely known to work. You'll find a large number of people on these forums who have done this routinely as have I. I'm typing this reply from a dual boot Win 7/8 machine on which the upgrade version of 8 was installed on a different partition enabling me to boot either os.
    • Edited by KentIrwin Sunday, August 04, 2013 2:18 PM
    • Marked as answer by arthur000 Sunday, August 04, 2013 2:28 PM
    Sunday, August 04, 2013 2:17 PM
  • ok, thanks Kent! 

Appears your answer is correct & we will plan to proceed with UPGRADE path.

Note that our system, apparently unlike yours per immediate above,

is TWO internal Separate Physical Drives (ie, not separate partitions on same hardware).

I understand that this is typically academic, but since we're not MS.... must inquire.

Sunday, August 04, 2013 2:27 PM
  • It will work with either separate partition or separate physical drive.
    Sunday, August 04, 2013 2:29 PM
  • I should also mention that your D: drive probably needs to be cleaned via the diskpart clean command since you had another os on it at one time. Just google the procedure, it's simple. Also, I've also found installing 8 from usb media to often be flakey. DVD media has always worked flawlessly for me. 
    Sunday, August 04, 2013 2:37 PM
  • Much appreciated Kent!

Thanks for your help!

Sunday, August 04, 2013 2:40 PM
  • Unfortunately, "Kent" is relying on a third-party workaround that probably will not work and you will end up having to purchase a  Windows 8 "Full License" in order to activate.  Now, why take that chance?

See: "I got a 'Invalid product key' message with a 'Code: 0xC004F061' error! What's wrong?"

Carey Frisch

Sunday, August 04, 2013 2:52 PM
  • Unfortunately, "Kent" is relying on a third-party workaround that probably will not work and you will end up having to purchase a  Windows 8 "Full License" in order to activate.  Now, why take that chance?

Carey Frisch

I have never known this very well known installation procedure not to work. I've personally done it numerous times since the advent of Vista. If the op wishes he can certainly wait for others to weigh in and comment. And in what way is it a "3rd party workaround"? Because the information detailing the procedure is detailed in numerous sites besides these forums? 
    Sunday, August 04, 2013 2:59 PM
  • You have ignored the Microsoft Software Licensing Agreement that states that one can no longer use the license one upgraded from.  So you can no longer use the Windows 7 operating system since that license formed the basis for qualifying for the Windows 8 Upgrade license.

Carey Frisch

Sunday, August 04, 2013 8:10 PM
  • You have ignored the Microsoft Software Licensing Agreement that states that one can no longer use the license one upgraded from.  So you can no longer use the Windows 7 operating system since that license formed the basis for qualifying for the Windows 8 Upgrade license.

Carey Frisch

Well then I suggest that you report me as abusive and then state the reasons why. Let's see where the cards fall.
    Sunday, August 04, 2013 8:18 PM
  • Hmmm.... interesting.

I'd think MS would desire for developers (such as myself) to be able to support Both/All.

I say that, as I sell product for MS via our software systems.

We've active users in most all previous OS's.... IF we have a 'reasonable' path to Win8 then the $ will flow.

If the path to Win8 is loaded with hoops, then perhaps we will convert all to other platform(s).

Given that, we definitely understand dev costs.

Either way, I appreciate both of your inputs and await further  :-)

Sunday, August 04, 2013 8:53 PM
  • Hmmm.... interesting.

I'd think MS would desire for developers (such as myself) to be able to support Both/All.

I say that, as I sell product for MS via our software systems.

We've active users in most all previous OS's.... IF we have a 'reasonable' path to Win8 then the $ will flow.

If the path to Win8 is loaded with hoops, then perhaps we will convert all to other platform(s).

Given that, we definitely understand dev costs.

Either way, I appreciate both of your inputs and await further  :-)

The eula is ambiguous and open to interpretation in this respect as has been discussed here and elsewhere. To the best of my knowledge MS has never made a firm stance one way or the other. I am not an attorney and I doubt many posters in these forums are, if in fact any are. But I do know that MS could easily disallow the procedure I've described by simply making the upgrade installation refuse to install under the conditions I've described.
    Sunday, August 04, 2013 9:04 PM
  • The Microsoft Windows 8 Software Licensing Agreement clearly states:

What about upgrading the software? The software covered by this agreement is an upgrade to your existing operating system software, so the upgrade replaces the original software that you are upgrading. You do not retain any rights to the original software after you have upgraded and you may not continue to use it or transfer it in any way. This agreement governs your rights to use the upgrade software and replaces the agreement for the software from which you upgraded.

Nothing ambiguous and open to interpretation that I see... 

Carey Frisch

Sunday, August 04, 2013 9:31 PM
  • The Microsoft Windows 8 Software Licensing Agreement clearly states:

What about upgrading the software? The software covered by this agreement is an upgrade to your existing operating system software, so the upgrade replaces the original software that you are upgrading. You do not retain any rights to the original software after you have upgraded and you may not continue to use it or transfer it in any way. This agreement governs your rights to use the upgrade software and replaces the agreement for the software from which you upgraded.

Nothing ambiguous and open to interpretation that I see... 

Carey Frisch

And you are not an attorney, are you?
    Sunday, August 04, 2013 9:37 PM
  • No, but I understand what I read.  Please feel free to consult with an attorney yourself and repost back.

Carey Frisch

Sunday, August 04, 2013 9:40 PM
  • No, but I understand what I read.  Please feel free to consult with an attorney yourself and repost back.

Carey Frisch

There's nothing that compels me to do so.
    Sunday, August 04, 2013 9:40 PM
  • I've more than one Win7 Pro (seat) on separate media....

so...., IF I employ Win8 Upgrade and then remove the relative Win7 drive &

replace with another.... & not use the Win7 for which was the Win8 upgrade basis...

Then am I a-ok?

that seems ambiguous :-( 

Sunday, August 04, 2013 10:59 PM
  • Nope!  According to the Windows 8 Upgrade software license agreement, you can no longer use the Windows 7 license that formed the basis for the Windows 8 Upgrade license.  The Windows 7 license was subsumed into the Windows 8 Upgrade license to create a full license for Windows 8.  (Sort of like upgrading your current mobile phone for a newer model...you can't use both)

Carey Frisch

Monday, August 05, 2013 1:15 AM
  • I suspect you have not correctly interpreted my scenario.... my apologies:

In other words:

I install Win8 based on present Win7;

Then I do not have Win7 (according to your info)...

BUT I do own other seats of Win7 on other hard drives, also installed on same pc....

So, all of a sudden I NEED Win7 (... to support my users) so I insert my other "OWNED not upgraded Win7 disc)

into my pc so as to provide the necessary support. 

Are you saying that the 'new' win7 harddrive will not correctly function ?

{nothing in eula indicating this is issue.... could be huge issue).

Thx in advance.

Monday, August 05, 2013 3:26 AM