none
Can't authenticate into Central Admin via IE but ok in other browsers on client PCs

Question

• This is an odd one - I have a SharePoint 2010 installed on a server and standard Windows authentication is used (via Active Directory). Locally on the server I can access Central Administration web site in IE with no problem.

On other PCs, whenever I try to access central admin in Internet Explorer (7/8) it fails to authenticate. IE quite happily automatically authenticates into the normal sharepoint sites, but not central admin. Yet if I use Firefox, then that quite happily authenticates into Central Admin. I've tried this on quite a few PCs with the same result - IE can't authenticate, Firefox can.

Any idea why this would be? The connection settings in IE appear the same as other browsers (i.e. no proxy).

Thanks.

Friday, September 24, 2010 2:54 PM

All replies

• On other PCs have you tried adding the CA URL to the trusted zones and seen if it works?

Alpesh Nakar's Blog Alpesh Just SharePoint Just SharePoint Updates

SharePoint Conference Southeast Asia Oct 26-27 2010 Contributing Author SharePoint 2010 Unleashed

MCTS: SharePoint 2010 Configuration MCITP: SharePoint 2010 Administrator

Monday, September 27, 2010 12:46 AM
  • I've tried adding the url for the sharepoint server into the trusted sites and Local intranet sites sections but still IE fails to authenticate.

Monday, September 27, 2010 10:24 AM
  • Are you getting any error notifications? If you are then it could give some hint. I am thinking DNC but why would it work in F.F.

Monday, September 27, 2010 3:02 PM
  • Have you tried to disable the loopback check?

PowerShell courtesy of Todd (tk)

New-ItemProperty -path HKLM:\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa -name DisableLoopbackCheck -value 1 -PropertyType DWORD

Alpesh Nakar's Blog Alpesh Just SharePoint Just SharePoint Updates

SharePoint Conference Southeast Asia Oct 26-27 2010 Contributing Author SharePoint 2010 Unleashed

MCTS: SharePoint 2010 Configuration MCITP: SharePoint 2010 Administrator

• Marked as answer by Lily Wu Friday, October 01, 2010 10:38 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by magra Tuesday, October 05, 2010 8:58 AM
    Tuesday, September 28, 2010 3:20 AM
  • That doesn't work I'm afraid. It looks like that registry key is related to KB article 926642 which is when the browser on the Windows Server has problems. In my situation it is on all client PCs.

There are no notable error notifications - the ULS log don't show anything of interest (other than the GET request).

In the IIS failed request logs there is a clue - AUTH_KERBEROS_FAILED .

KMUsed false
     APUserName CN=SPS-SDG\, Farm,OU=Accounts,OU=WWW,OU=XXX,OU=YYY,OU=ZZZ,DC=MYDC,DC=MYORG
     SPNName 
     ADConfigIsOK false
     KerberosInfo

(OU info removed)

However, with browsers other than IE this problem doesn't occur. Also IE on the server PC is fine.

Tuesday, October 05, 2010 8:58 AM
  • I assume this is still unsolved?  I am having the same exact issue.  Authentication to CA works in FF but not in IE or Chrome on client PCs.  Quite frustrating, but I'm glad I saw this thread to see that at least I have a workaround.  It's odd that a non-Microsoft browser (Firefox) works better with a Microsoft product (SharePoint 2010, or IIS?) than does Internet Explorer.  If there is a solution to get this to work with IE, I would be very grateful to know it.

Tyler Huntley
    Thursday, November 10, 2011 9:06 PM