none
Manually refreshing the data in a Power Pivot workbook using Excel's Data Tab

Question

• This is a local Power Pivot workbook. And I'm aware about the options described here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg399168.aspx

[ To refresh data for a single table or all tables in a workbook ( In the PowerPivot window, click the Home tab, and in the Get External Data group, click Refresh, and then click Refresh or Refresh All )

To refresh data for all tables that use the same connection  (In the PowerPivot window, click the Design tab, and in the Connections group, click Existing Connections ;In the Existing Connections dialog box, select a connection, and then click Refresh) ]

My question: what happens if a user goes to Excels Data tab & clicks on refreshes? Does that get the "cached" copy from Power Pivot and it doesn't refreshes data from source systems that the Power Pivot Models is using?

Thank you.

Paras Doshi (Blog: ParasDoshi.com | Twitter: @Paras_Doshi )

Monday, November 18, 2013 10:21 PM

Answers

• My question: what happens if a user goes to Excels Data tab & clicks on refreshes? Does that get the "cached" copy from Power Pivot and it doesn't refreshes data from source systems that the Power Pivot Models is using?

Thank you.

Hello Paras,

If we click "Refresh" button under PowerPivot windows, the action will load the latest data from our data source into PowerPivot data model. If we click "Refresh" on Excel workbook(Data tab-> Refresh),  this action only refresh data for our PivotTable or PivotChart.

Regards,

Elvis Long
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, November 29, 2013 7:51 AM

All replies

• Any suggestions for Paras?

Thanks!

Ed Price, Power BI & SQL Server Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Answer an interesting question? Create a wiki article about it!

Sunday, November 24, 2013 1:52 AM
  • My question: what happens if a user goes to Excels Data tab & clicks on refreshes? Does that get the "cached" copy from Power Pivot and it doesn't refreshes data from source systems that the Power Pivot Models is using?

Thank you.

Hello Paras,

If we click "Refresh" button under PowerPivot windows, the action will load the latest data from our data source into PowerPivot data model. If we click "Refresh" on Excel workbook(Data tab-> Refresh),  this action only refresh data for our PivotTable or PivotChart.

Regards,

Elvis Long
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, November 29, 2013 7:51 AM