none
Database file created with WebMatrix 2.0

Question

• I developed an application with WebMatrix 2.0. I have also created a file based database for the application with an extension of sdf. When I tried to manage this database file with SQL server management console (2008, and compact edition), I receive an error of DB version=4000000 required version is 35xxxxx. I spent 2 days to search on the internet and mostly suggested that to use ugrade.exe that came with VS 2008 to upgrade the database. I have VS 2010 but there is no such tool.

Please advise what tool should I use to manage this file database.

Thanks

Alex

Friday, August 23, 2013 4:17 PM

Answers

All replies

• I don't really understand what "file based database" is.  Since you are posting to a sql server forum, all I can tell you is that SSMS (sql server management studio - which is what I think you meant by "SQL server management console") can only be used to manage sql server servers and the databases contained with them.  If you have created your own custom database structure in a file, then you will need to write your own management tool.

A little searching finds the below link, as well. 

SSMS cannot open sdf

Friday, August 23, 2013 7:22 PM
  • database for the application with an extension of sdf ... I receive an error of DB version=4000000 required version is 35xxxxx. I

Hello Alex,

So you create a SDF = SQL Server Compact edition database files. WebMatrix uses the version 4.0 of SqlCe, while the old SSMS 2008 only supports version 3.5, therefore you get the error message.

You have Visual Studio 2010, so you can install the free "SQL Server Compact Toolbox" plugin for VS to manage your SqlCe database, it's a fine & useful tool.

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

Sunday, August 25, 2013 6:33 AM