none
Hyper -V Windows 8 only allows first two VM's External network access

Question

• Hi All

I have configured Windows 8 with Hyper V and configured 4 vm's to run on it ranging from server 2003 to windows xp.

I have created an External Virtual Switch and linked it to the only network interface the workstation has. (Intel(R) Ethernet Connection I217-V) All setting are left at default. The mother board is a Gigabyte GA-Z87-D3HP

On each of the servers I have assigned this Virtual Connection with standard Network Adapter.

Now this is where the mystery begins. Only the first two vm's I start up get external network access regardless of which two I start. If I shut down or restart one another then get's external access. It only effects external access.

The host and all four vm are able to connect and see each other but only two can ping eg. the gateway.

The host has full access to the network and all vm's. I am going to try install a second network card tomorrow and see if this fixes the problem.     

Sunday, July 14, 2013 11:29 AM

Answers

• If that new NIC is patched to a different port of your physical switch, I bet that you have a MAC limiting issue.

Where the first switch port only allows 2 or 3 MAC addresses to be present and blocks any additional. 

This is the historic explanation for "the first X" can talk on the network and the remainder don't.  And if I change the boot up order, it is still the first X that boot up, regardless of the machine.

Brian Ehlert
    http://ITProctology.blogspot.com
    Learn. Apply. Repeat.
    Disclaimer: Attempting change is of your own free will.

Monday, July 15, 2013 2:55 PM
  • No the VM's are on static ip's. I installed a second network card and assigned all vm's to it. 

Now it is working fine with all four vm's on the new NIC and the host on it's own NIC. 

May be the on board NIC has some limitations. 

• Marked as answer by Daffy777 Monday, July 15, 2013 7:55 AM
    Monday, July 15, 2013 7:54 AM

All replies

• Hiya, 

are you running static or dynamic IP adresses?

Sounds very much like a DHCP scope that runs out of address leases for one reason or the other :)

Monday, July 15, 2013 7:44 AM
  • No the VM's are on static ip's. I installed a second network card and assigned all vm's to it. 

Now it is working fine with all four vm's on the new NIC and the host on it's own NIC. 

May be the on board NIC has some limitations. 

• Marked as answer by Daffy777 Monday, July 15, 2013 7:55 AM
    Monday, July 15, 2013 7:54 AM
  • If that new NIC is patched to a different port of your physical switch, I bet that you have a MAC limiting issue.

Where the first switch port only allows 2 or 3 MAC addresses to be present and blocks any additional. 

This is the historic explanation for "the first X" can talk on the network and the remainder don't.  And if I change the boot up order, it is still the first X that boot up, regardless of the machine.

Brian Ehlert
    http://ITProctology.blogspot.com
    Learn. Apply. Repeat.
    Disclaimer: Attempting change is of your own free will.

Monday, July 15, 2013 2:55 PM
  • Good Point.

Yes I did plug the new NIC into the router directly instead of the Cisco switch. 

Wednesday, July 17, 2013 9:24 AM