SQL Server 2012 RC0 SSMS - Associate file extensions to a code editor

Question

• Hi all,

I am trying to configure SSMS 2012 RC0 to a similar degree as my 2008R2 editor, but something seems to be missing. Our sql code library is organized by custom file extensions (eg. PRC for sps, UDF for user functions, etc), so, for 2008 SSMS I've been assigning 'SQL Query Editor' to our non-'sql' extensions via tools->options->text editor->file extension->editor.

The problem with SSMS 2012 (all CTP releases and RC0) so far is that 'SQL Query Editor' hasn't been listed as an editor. There are only 4 editors listed (3 xml & 1 text) as opposed to a dozen or so as in SQL 2005, 2008 & 2008R2.

Can anyone tell me if they've managed to get the full list? Or have I missed something obvious? I have done a full install. Or shall we put it down to its pre-release nature?

I have been through the relevant help page (in development) to no avail. I can't really use this new editor on a daily basis without doing loads of temporary file renaming  :-(

Much thanks!

Lewis

Tuesday, December 06, 2011 3:08 AM

Answers

• This feels like a bug that occured when porting from the Visual Studio 2005 based shell to the Visual Studio 2010 based one.

-GertD @ www.sqlproj.com
    • Marked as answer by Lewis Piera Thursday, December 08, 2011 11:00 PM
    Thursday, December 08, 2011 3:16 AM

All replies