none
VS 2010 This file could not be uploaded. The following error occured: External component has thrown an exception.

Question

• I just started getting this error message from my VS 2010 VB code, earlier this code ran without the error message.  I suspect corruption since this error does not occur on another computer of mine.  I tried repairing the installation of VS 2010 without results.  Then I uninstalled VS 2010 and reinstalled it, but the error continues. The error message is not very definitive so I do not know how to proceed. I could provide the code, but it is rather lengthy and I don't get this error with the VS 2010 installed on my laptop.  So, I don't think my code is the issue.  I would be very grateful for any suggestions you may care to offer for isolating and correcting this problem.  Thank you.  .......................Phil Hoop

Phil Hoop

Wednesday, February 26, 2014 11:53 PM

Answers

• Hi Phil,

What’s the template type of the project? Is it a BI project? Based on my research, the issue may be related to the following factors:

• .NET Framework version of the project. If it targets .NET Framework 4.0 or higher, modify it to target .NET Framework 3.5 instead.
    • Debug or Release Configurations. If the project is set to Release Configurations, try to set it to Debug. For more information, please see:
      http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/wx0123s5(v=vs.100).aspx 

I noticed that you have asked another question in the asp .net forum, if the issue is not SQL Server BI project related, I suggest that you continue troubleshooting within the thread in the asp .net forum.

Regards,
    Mike Yin

If you have any feedback on our support, please click here

Mike Yin
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, March 03, 2014 2:35 AM