none
Some new files moved to PreExisting folder, but initial sync completed months ago

Question

• My DFSR diagnostic report showed a 11003 warning. I found a few files in the PreExisting folder with a last modified date of yesterday. 

The thing is initial replication finished months ago so I don't understand why new files were added to the PreExisting folder.

Search for 4002 events on the DFSR server reporting this warning to see if another initial replication took place, but didn't find any.

I then searched for 2202 and 2204 events to confirm if this was a journal wrap issue, but did not find any.

What else could it be?

Tuesday, August 20, 2013 1:49 PM

Answers

• "... it could be caused by disk analys tool or security program"

Well guess what, I found an antivirus program (SEP11), which was supposed to have been uninstalled on this server, was running an AV scan.

I will assume this was the cause. I have no way to completely confirm this, but if the issue reoccurs after it is completely removed, and I don't see any journal wrap issues, I will update this post.

Friday, August 23, 2013 3:43 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Please check if there is any specific action performed before the issue occurs. I searched and found it could be caused by disk analys tool or security program.

This fllowing script could help us restore files from preexisting or conflictanddeleted folders. But we may first find out the exact cause.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/filecab/archive/2008/01/02/a-script-to-restore-data-from-the-dfsr-conflictanddeleted-or-preexisting-folders-for-disaster-recovery-purposes.aspx

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum |If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by red888 Friday, August 23, 2013 3:43 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by red888 Tuesday, August 27, 2013 2:37 PM
    Thursday, August 22, 2013 7:09 AM
  • "... it could be caused by disk analys tool or security program"

Well guess what, I found an antivirus program (SEP11), which was supposed to have been uninstalled on this server, was running an AV scan.

I will assume this was the cause. I have no way to completely confirm this, but if the issue reoccurs after it is completely removed, and I don't see any journal wrap issues, I will update this post.

Friday, August 23, 2013 3:43 PM
  • Well, thought I figured it out, but I guess I didn't. The antivirus software was uninstalled and I confirmed new AB processes were running, but some additional files appeared in the preexisting folder.

I know of no action that is being performed before this happens, but on the other hand I don't even know when these when are being added. 

4 new files appeared yesterday at some time with the following write times

Mode                LastWriteTime
    ----                -------------
    d----          8/6/2013   5:16 PM
    -a---         8/26/2013  12:54 PM
    -a---          7/5/2013   2:29 PM
    -a---         8/26/2013  12:39 PM

How can I identify exactly when a file is moved the the preExisting folder? Is a specific event logged for each file?

Thanks for the help.

Tuesday, August 27, 2013 2:41 PM
  • Found a 2004 and 2104 error log. It looks like it recovered from the failure successfully though. Perhaps uninstalling the antivirus caused this.
    Wednesday, August 28, 2013 2:23 PM