none
Failover Cluster with multi Server 2012 Datacenter - how activate VM's

Question

• Hi all,

I read a lot of topics about the licensing but i could not find an answer that would satisfy me.

I have 3 hosts with 3 server Datacenter 2012 licences.

When i install a VM with windows server 2012 i tought it would automaticly activated itself but it doesnt.

How do i activate VM's licences.

1 - Use the Datencenter key on the VM?

2- Use KMS on the host, or on all hosts?

3- Other options?

EDIT: One Datacenter is Retail Channel the other two are volume_MAK.

Sincerely,

AM

• Edited by Alexandre_M Wednesday, July 10, 2013 10:22 AM Add info
    Wednesday, July 10, 2013 10:19 AM

Answers

• If you purchase 1 Windows 2008 r2 Enterprise license and assign it (you don't have to install it, but you must assign the license to the physical computer and not install it on other physical hardware) to the laptop you can have 4 VM instances.

http://www.microsoft.com/Licensing/about-licensing/virtualization.aspx

Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise: Run up to four software instances at a time in virtual operating system environments on a server under a single server license.

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum |If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, July 11, 2013 1:06 PM

All replies

• If you purchase 1 Windows 2008 r2 Enterprise license and assign it (you don't have to install it, but you must assign the license to the physical computer and not install it on other physical hardware) to the laptop you can have 4 VM instances.

http://www.microsoft.com/Licensing/about-licensing/virtualization.aspx

Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise: Run up to four software instances at a time in virtual operating system environments on a server under a single server license.

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum |If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, July 11, 2013 1:06 PM
  • hi Alexandre

I have exactly the same scenario, but I don't get the answer

did you have any solution so far ?

please help

regards,

Tuesday, October 08, 2013 9:09 PM
  • hi Alexandre

I have exactly the same scenario, but I don't get the answer

did you have any solution so far ?

please help

regards,

Hi MCDsharif,

After many contacts with diferent departments from Microsoft with blury answers, on one of the contacts they said that it was not possible, nor they could provide me the key, so im stuck with this.

I have to choices now:

1 - Passing avery single server from 2012 Standard to Datacenter edition( witch the key from the host will activate them)

2 - Migrate the Virtualization hosts to Datacenter 2012 R2 and all the VM's to Server 2012 R2Datacenter, and thus, benefit from the new features, like automatic activation of VM's and others.

I choose the second, and waiting for the oficial launch of the R2, im already doing some testing to the R2.

Microsoft should simplify changing the the version using Windows features or other method, this is very annoying and from my point of view useless, i dont have problems like these on Linux for example.

Also the information on what and how Windows server VM be used and activated should be clarify and simple to read.

• Edited by Alexandre_M Wednesday, October 09, 2013 9:11 AM
    • Proposed as answer by MCDSharif Thursday, October 10, 2013 7:06 PM
    Wednesday, October 09, 2013 9:10 AM
  • thanks alexandre

appreciated

Thursday, October 10, 2013 7:07 PM