none
Where to Get the Exchange 2010 Administration Snap-In for Windows 7

Question

• Hello--<o:p></o:p>

A while back I had to install an Exchange 2010 administration tool on my machine because our Exchange 2010 server is 64-bit and my version of Windows 7 is 32-bit, so I can't install the EMC directly on my PC. It's a snap-in that I use with my MMC.

Everything has worked great since then, but now we have a new SA and I want to help him install the same snap-in so he doesn't have to remote into the Exchange server each time he needs to administer user mailboxes.<o:p></o:p>

I have scoured the entire Internet (sort of) and I cannot find the tool I installed on my W7 32-bit box that allows me to admin Exchange 2010 64-bit.

Does anyone know where the file and instructions are?<o:p></o:p>

Stephen Davis

Wednesday, September 18, 2013 4:46 PM

Answers

• I recall seeing the 32-bit admin tool for Exchange 2010.  Since I have always used 64-bit Windows 7, I have never needed a 32-bit admin tool, so my recollection is a bit fuzzy.

If memory serves, I think a 32-bit version of Exchange was included with the Exchange 2010 Beta version to allow testing on 32-bit machines with the caveat that 32-bit would not be allowed in production.  Further, I seem to recall that it was also stated that the admin portion of it could be used on a 32-bit workstation.  I'm not sure if this was also included in the RTM version and I know it wasn't included in the Exchange 2010 with SP1 overlay.

I guess my associate is out of luck unless he wants to do a fresh install of W7 64-bit on his PC.

Thanks all

Stephen Davis

Wednesday, September 25, 2013 3:09 PM

All replies

• Hello,

There are not 32bit tool of Exchange 2010. I'm afraid we only install exchange 2010 on windows7 64-bit.

Cara Chen
    TechNet Community Support

• Proposed as answer by The_Techguy Thursday, September 19, 2013 8:20 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Razor8Tech Thursday, September 19, 2013 8:27 PM
    Thursday, September 19, 2013 5:47 AM
  • Hello,

There are not 32bit tool of Exchange 2010. I'm afraid we only install exchange 2010 on windows7 64-bit.

Cara Chen
    TechNet Community Support

Well Cara, I have to disagree with you. I have been running it on my W7 32-bit PC for a couple years now. :-)

Perhaps I'm not naming it correctly, so here is what I'm trying to get setup on my 2nd PC to be like the first...

When I open my MMC and use the ADUC snap-in, I want to be able to access the Exchange related tabs and information on user objects. Again, I know I needed to install something on my W7 32-bit PC and go through some installation steps, but unfortunately I've lost the documentation.

Does that help?

Stephen Davis

Thursday, September 19, 2013 6:29 PM
  • That does not sound like the Exchange 2010 management tool Stephen.

Exchange 2010 does not extend the ADUC tabs with Exchange, that was what Exchange 2003 did.

Can you take a screenshot of add/remove programmes and paste that into here please?

Cheers,

Rhoderick

Microsoft Senior Exchange PFE

Blog: http://blogs.technet.com/rmilne  Twitter:   LinkedIn:   Facebook:   XING:

Note: Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, including but not limited to the implied warranties of merchantability and/or fitness for a particular purpose.

Friday, September 20, 2013 12:34 AM
  • That's a good thought. I looked there too and I can't see anything that would indicate what I installed to allow access to the Exchange related tabs when accessing user objects in ADUC.

Here is what I've got. When I go to the About MMC, it shows Windows 7 Professional Management Console 3.0 Version 6.1 (Build 7601: SP 1)

If I open any mail enabled object in ADUC I can see and configure all of the Exchange related tabs (see screenshot). My associate with idendical permissions as I have doesn't see any email tabs. I remembered I had to do something to see them, but can't recall what. 

Stephen Davis

Friday, September 20, 2013 2:52 PM
  • Any updates to my last post with additional information? We're trying to enable my co-worker to be able to use the email related tabs on user objects from his Windows 7 32-bit PC so he doesn't have to remote into the Exchange server for every little thing.

Thanks!

Stephen Davis

Tuesday, September 24, 2013 7:44 PM
  • Not really - there must have been something installed to load up the Exchange 2003 toolset onto your machine at some point.

Exchange 2010 tools need to be installed onto an x64 based machine, I just tried this and setup.exe does not launch on a Win 7 x86 VM.

You can use remote PowerShell to manage Exchange 2010 from your x86 based PC, details here:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/rmilne/archive/2011/12/20/how-to-maximize-exchange-administrator-productivity-with-powershell-part-2.aspx

But if you want to run the Exchange 2010 EMC and EMS locally then you'll have to load x64 Windows 7 onto your machine. 

Cheers,

Rhoderick

Note: Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, including but not limited to the implied warranties of merchantability and/or fitness for a particular purpose.

Tuesday, September 24, 2013 10:02 PM
  • Not really - there must have been something installed to load up the Exchange 2003 toolset onto your machine at some point.

Exchange 2010 tools need to be installed onto an x64 based machine, I just tried this and setup.exe does not launch on a Win 7 x86 VM.

You can use remote PowerShell to manage Exchange 2010 from your x86 based PC, details here:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/rmilne/archive/2011/12/20/how-to-maximize-exchange-administrator-productivity-with-powershell-part-2.aspx

But if you want to run the Exchange 2010 EMC and EMS locally then you'll have to load x64 Windows 7 onto your machine. 

Cheers,

Rhoderick

I did administer email from my machine when our Exchange servers were running Exchange 2003. Can we load the Exchange 2003 toolset and then the 2010 "update" on my associate's machine to simulate what must have happned on my machine?

Stephen Davis

Tuesday, September 24, 2013 10:06 PM
  • I would not do that, and would want to run the proper OS to get the proper toolset installed Stephen. 

Some of the tool compat issues are in here, http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd638174(v=exchg.141).aspx 

You really must be using a tool that respects RBAC and remote PowerShell, else you are going into unsupported territory.

Cheers,

Rhoderick

Wednesday, September 25, 2013 11:49 AM
  • I recall seeing the 32-bit admin tool for Exchange 2010.  Since I have always used 64-bit Windows 7, I have never needed a 32-bit admin tool, so my recollection is a bit fuzzy.

If memory serves, I think a 32-bit version of Exchange was included with the Exchange 2010 Beta version to allow testing on 32-bit machines with the caveat that 32-bit would not be allowed in production.  Further, I seem to recall that it was also stated that the admin portion of it could be used on a 32-bit workstation.  I'm not sure if this was also included in the RTM version and I know it wasn't included in the Exchange 2010 with SP1 overlay.

Wednesday, September 25, 2013 1:17 PM

I guess my associate is out of luck unless he wants to do a fresh install of W7 64-bit on his PC.

Thanks all

Stephen Davis

Wednesday, September 25, 2013 3:09 PM
  • That's correct Stephen !

The Exchange 2007 tools were available in x86.  2010 is x64 only.

Cheers,

Rhoderick

Wednesday, September 25, 2013 3:10 PM