none
No license was available for user xxx using product file print.

Question

• Dear all

anybody can help me regarding this error Small Business Server 2003.

No license was available for user xxx using product file print. Use licensing from the Administrative tools folder to ensure that you have sufficient licenses.

Wednesday, October 13, 2010 12:56 PM

Answers

• Try reinstalling your CALs.

I'm wondering if your CALs have reset to the original 5 that came with SBS 2003.  If so, make sure your antivirus software on the server is not scanning the following licensing folder and file, either in real time or via a scheduled scan:

C:\Windows\system32\LLS
    C:\windows\system32\licstr.cpa

--
    Merv  Porter   [SBS-MVP]
    ============================
    "Larens" wrote in message news:1e9c3df7-8cc1-463f-81f7-a2d3033b4339...

Dear all

No license was available for user xxx using product file print. Use licensing from the Administrative tools folder to ensure that you have sufficient licenses.

Wednesday, October 13, 2010 1:11 PM
  • Note that you must NOT scan the licensing folder and the licensing file with your antivirus software.

The original 5 CALs that came with the SBS server are "built-in" and do not require reinstallation.  If you have remote users (those remoting in via Remote Web Workplace), these users will consume at least one CAL.  So make sure you have enough CALs for the number of users you have.

SBS does not count licenses well.  You may want to reboot the server to see if that fixes the problem, at least temporarily.

--
    Merv  Porter   [SBS-MVP]

"Larens" wrote in message news:ebab5987-848b-4d8a-8ee9-5ff4e71bc891...

thanx for reply.

Shall I scan this file two files c:\windows\system32\lls and c:\windows\system32\licstr.cpa.

I am using 5 users only then how I reinstall license.

Thursday, October 14, 2010 11:44 AM

All replies

• Try reinstalling your CALs.

I'm wondering if your CALs have reset to the original 5 that came with SBS 2003.  If so, make sure your antivirus software on the server is not scanning the following licensing folder and file, either in real time or via a scheduled scan:

--
    Merv  Porter   [SBS-MVP]

Dear all

Wednesday, October 13, 2010 1:11 PM
  • The KB article for what Merv wrote about is http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888818

How many users do you have?

--
    Regards,
    Vik Singh
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Try reinstalling your CALs.

--
    Merv  Porter   [SBS-MVP]

Dear all

Wednesday, October 13, 2010 5:42 PM
  • thanx for reply.

Shall I scan this file two files c:\windows\system32\lls and c:\windows\system32\licstr.cpa.

Thursday, October 14, 2010 3:45 AM
  • Note that you must NOT scan the licensing folder and the licensing file with your antivirus software.

The original 5 CALs that came with the SBS server are "built-in" and do not require reinstallation.  If you have remote users (those remoting in via Remote Web Workplace), these users will consume at least one CAL.  So make sure you have enough CALs for the number of users you have.

SBS does not count licenses well.  You may want to reboot the server to see if that fixes the problem, at least temporarily.

--
    Merv  Porter   [SBS-MVP]

"Larens" wrote in message news:ebab5987-848b-4d8a-8ee9-5ff4e71bc891...

thanx for reply.

Thursday, October 14, 2010 11:44 AM
  • and I'm prompted to ask 'so OK, you are using the 5 builtin CALs but just how many users/devices are connected?'.

There's actually a 'buffer' builtin that negates some of the effects of the Licensing Service's inability to count correctly. You don't normally see this message until you are more than a couple over.

Friday, October 15, 2010 1:27 AM
  • Hi,

I have a Server and 4 clients only and how I solve this problem.

Sunday, October 17, 2010 11:03 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for that advice I solved users problem. But my users not accessing share folders from Server, users cannot read jpeg files. If I opend jpeg file from server it is giving error ( can't preview) at a same time I checked on server side all files are working and jpeg files are going to preview.

Can you tell me how to solve this problem.

Thursday, October 21, 2010 1:40 PM