none
the drive where windows is installed is locked windows 8

Question

• Gents,

Desperate dad here.

16 y/o muppet bought HP Notebook with Windows 7 installed 2 months ago + licence to download Windows 8 once released.

Been working on it for two months, mainly school work.  Did not back up his work ....(hind sight is a beautiful thing)

Last Friday downloaded windows 8. Last I heard.... hey dad windows 8 is now downloading and it'll take 8 hours.....how cool is that !!

Cool as it may be.....apparently it worked on Saturday but on Sunday morning he came down and said he had a problem.  If I could help.... hahahhahaha ...me???

The laptop goes straight into repair mode and then into blue screen with repair/reset and advanced repair options. 

what ever you do the main feature is :  "the drive where windows is installed is locked" please unlock and....... etc... etc....  the damn thing wont even let you in, so how do you unlock ?

Muppet is concerned that if he resets to Factory settings that all his school work will disappear hence wiping out last terms' work.....

The outfit that sold him the machine says its a Software fault and dont want to touch it.  Go and call Microsoft is the only thing the spotty guy utters.

Any bright bunnies out there with advice ? 

Thursday, November 01, 2012 4:37 PM

Answers

All replies

• I'm having this exact same problem and haven't been able to find any information/solutions online.
    Friday, November 02, 2012 6:35 PM
  • I'm having this exact same problem and haven't been able to find any information/solutions online.

800 quid reduced to a plastic box with wires and circuits.  Someone should be shot !!!!!!!
    Friday, November 02, 2012 9:08 PM
  • I am trying
    to upgrade OS from Win7 Ent32 Bit to Win8 32 bit, while installing this my
    system got unexpected restart and upgrade has been disconnected, so I moved for
    refresh option as I don’t want to lose my data, <o:p></o:p>

Using refreshing
    option trying to repaired os but seems it is giving error "the drive where
    windows is installed is locked" can someone help me on this?<o:p></o:p>

Monday, November 05, 2012 10:50 AM
  • Latest Update :

Young bright bunny friend of mine (the smartest in the hutch that is) has revived the system.

As far as I know he took the hard drive out of the HP Ultrabook  (the warranty is now void I expect, nice one but unavoidable)

He ran it as a portable hard drive off another confuser so not starting it up with Windows and initially it did not show any stored files, which was rather troublesome.

He then used some gucchi data recovery programmes and 'hey presto' the files reappeared and he managed to download them to a separate storage medium.

He cleaned up the ultrabook and reloaded Win-8.  I've now told muppet to use my 500GB portable hard drive and backup his school files EVERY single time before logging off.

All seems to work fine now.

If you need the proper techie blurb on method and recovery programmes used I would have to ask him.

Tuesday, November 06, 2012 10:50 AM
  • Wednesday, November 07, 2012 8:47 AM