none
"DPM uses the Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS)"

Question

• "DPM uses the Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS) to create a snapshot of the protected data."
    According to MS (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb808827.aspx)

Does that mean  I have to set asides space on the protected server (a file server), so it can store shadow copies, and the DPM server taps into those  shadow copies to create its recovery points etc?

Thanks

• Edited by Joe Darkman Thursday, February 09, 2012 1:08 PM
    Thursday, February 09, 2012 1:07 PM

Answers

• Hi Joe,

when you are protecting a file server. DPM will implement a change journal to record all the blocks that have been changed.
    Then once the sync starts. The journal is interrogated and will tell DPM which file have been changed.

Then the VSS writer makes a copy of these data and send them to DPM.
    You don't need additionnal space or to create a new folder on your server.

• Marked as answer by Joe Darkman Thursday, February 09, 2012 6:50 PM
    Thursday, February 09, 2012 1:59 PM

All replies

• Hi Joe,

when you are protecting a file server. DPM will implement a change journal to record all the blocks that have been changed.
    Then once the sync starts. The journal is interrogated and will tell DPM which file have been changed.

Then the VSS writer makes a copy of these data and send them to DPM.
    You don't need additionnal space or to create a new folder on your server.

• Marked as answer by Joe Darkman Thursday, February 09, 2012 6:50 PM
    Thursday, February 09, 2012 1:59 PM
  • I have noticed that one of my protected VM's has a 65GB Shadow Copy on its D Drive.  Unfortunately, I have no idea how it got there. I'm assuming that this has to do with the DPM agent, however, none of my other protected VM's has a shadow copy configured.  Is this OK to remove?
    Tuesday, March 20, 2012 5:33 PM