none
SCCM and standalone WSUS server integration

Question

• Sorry if this is a repeat I have been searching through SCCM documentation and threads on this forum.

I have two servers.  One is a standalone WSUS server and the other is a standalone SCCM 2012 dev server (SCCMDEV01) that I am playing with to evaluate sccm.

I know that if you have wsus on another server it says that you need the wsus admin console installed on the sccm server.  I have done this and can connect to the wsus server remotely using the admin console on the sccm server.

however I cant find anything on how to integrate my existing wsus server with sccm.  I read a few things that recommend setting up a fresh wsus install on the sccm server instead.  I would prefer to keep the existing wsus server and integrate it into sccm so that in the event that we dont move forward with sccm I dont loose my wsus server. 

Can anyone point me in the right direction of getting my current wsus server into sccm?

Thanks!

Monday, September 10, 2012 11:31 PM

Answers

• Using your existing WSUS instance will cause you issues however because the existing declines and approvals will affect the catalog synchronized to ConfigMgr. Once integrated into ConfigMgr, you should in general never go into the WSUS admin console. Also, ConfigMgr software updates is a completely different process than stand-alone WSUS and does not directly use or reference the update approvals in WSUS.

If you want to test out using a Software Update Point, why not install WSUS on your site server? Depending on the size of of the managed client base, that is generally the prefered location anyway. Note that adding an active SUP to your hierarchy will repoint all of your manged clients to it unless overridden by a GPO.

To integrate, you simply add the SUP site role to the system hosting WSUS.

Jason | http://blog.configmgrftw.com

• Marked as answer by DaneB_85 Tuesday, September 11, 2012 5:07 PM
    Tuesday, September 11, 2012 2:12 AM

All replies

• Using your existing WSUS instance will cause you issues however because the existing declines and approvals will affect the catalog synchronized to ConfigMgr. Once integrated into ConfigMgr, you should in general never go into the WSUS admin console. Also, ConfigMgr software updates is a completely different process than stand-alone WSUS and does not directly use or reference the update approvals in WSUS.

If you want to test out using a Software Update Point, why not install WSUS on your site server? Depending on the size of of the managed client base, that is generally the prefered location anyway. Note that adding an active SUP to your hierarchy will repoint all of your manged clients to it unless overridden by a GPO.

To integrate, you simply add the SUP site role to the system hosting WSUS.

Jason | http://blog.configmgrftw.com

• Marked as answer by DaneB_85 Tuesday, September 11, 2012 5:07 PM
    Tuesday, September 11, 2012 2:12 AM
  • You should not re-use the existing WSUS server, create a new one and configure the same synchronization rules from within SCCM.
    Tuesday, September 11, 2012 1:50 PM
  • Thanks,

I will make a new wsus instance and leave my current one alone and point some machines to the new instance.

Tuesday, September 11, 2012 5:08 PM