none
Windows 7 Pro as a File Server for four other W7Pro's

Question

• Hi

I am looking to run 5 computers with windows 7 pro on them. I know it isn't good to run the server like a work station but it is for an accountant who doesn't want to spend the money for a server. My question is could I just add another windows 7 pro computer to be the server and not spend the money on a real server? Most of the work is done on the main computer right now with some of the computers accessing it, but very limited.

Thanks in advanced for any advice!

RobertoY

Friday, November 01, 2013 6:26 PM

Answers

• You say server but what do you mean exactly?  If its just a file share as you state than it will work with up to 20 connections.  If your trying to share an application than that might void the licensing agreement with how that software is supposed to run (1 install per machine, 1 install per user, etc).  

Be kind and Mark as Answer if I helped.

Friday, November 01, 2013 7:59 PM

All replies

• You should be able to do that.

Another inexpensive option is Windows Home Server 2011

Friday, November 01, 2013 6:38 PM
  • Great! I realize after reading your answer I really didn't ask this right. I wanted to know if I could get away with just running the accountants computer as the server since she does most of the work herself. from time to time she may have her employees help out, but very little.

Thanks again

Friday, November 01, 2013 6:52 PM
  • You say server but what do you mean exactly?  If its just a file share as you state than it will work with up to 20 connections.  If your trying to share an application than that might void the licensing agreement with how that software is supposed to run (1 install per machine, 1 install per user, etc).  

Be kind and Mark as Answer if I helped.

Friday, November 01, 2013 7:59 PM