none
Need help installing NVIDIA drivers on Windows 8.1

Question

• After installing Windows 8.1, I have been unable to use the NVIDIA graphics drivers. My Thinkpad W520 has NVIDIA Optimus with the Intel HD 3000 and the NVIDIA Quadro 1000M. I have tried to install various drivers, including the most recent one from Lenovo (made for Windows 8), the most recent one from the NVIDIA website, and the version in Windows Update. All three of them quit halfway and fail to install the driver. Windows Update gives this error: Code 8007000D.
    Saturday, October 19, 2013 1:02 AM

All replies

• Contact NVIDIA support and report this issue and also post it to Thinkpad forum.
    Saturday, October 19, 2013 5:07 AM
  • Contact NVIDIA support and report this issue and also post it to Thinkpad forum.
    Is it safe to say that this issue is NVIDIA's fault? I was wondering if this problem was because of some old NVIDIA driver entries.
    Saturday, October 19, 2013 11:57 PM
  • One thing you might try. I have run into something like this. Update/reinstall Intel video driver, then install Nvidia driver. Has to do with the hybrid graphics. May I also suggest when you go to install the N driver chose the custom install and check the clean install box. Warning!! All profile will be deleted!!! IMHO the best way to install video drivers.

I have a less than a year old Lenovo y580. Hope this helped.

Sunday, October 20, 2013 9:25 AM
  • One thing you might try. I have run into something like this. Update/reinstall Intel video driver, then install Nvidia driver. Has to do with the hybrid graphics. May I also suggest when you go to install the N driver chose the custom install and check the clean install box. Warning!! All profile will be deleted!!! IMHO the best way to install video drivers.

I tried to reinstall the Intel driver, but it also failed in a similar way to the NVIDIA one. My current Intel driver still seems to be working though. I have also tried the clean install and got the same result.
    Sunday, October 20, 2013 10:02 AM

I tried to reinstall the Intel driver, but it also failed in a similar way to the NVIDIA one. My current Intel driver still seems to be working though. I have also tried the clean install and got the same result.

You will most likely have to disable the Intel drivers and disable the Intel graphics. I have a top of the line computer with and Intel  hd 4000 chip and I cannot use the Intel graphics with NVidia graphic card. I run into all kinds of errors and NVidia driver crash's.\

Sunday, October 20, 2013 10:28 AM

You will most likely have to disable the Intel drivers and disable the Intel graphics. I have a top of the line computer with and Intel  hd 4000 chip and I cannot use the Intel graphics with NVidia graphic card. I run into all kinds of errors and NVidia driver crash's.

I tried to install the driver when I disabled the Intel graphics in the BIOS, and it still didn't work.

EDIT: It turns out that I can't install ANY driver, it's not just the NVIDIA card.

• Edited by qilto Monday, October 21, 2013 12:03 AM
    Sunday, October 20, 2013 7:48 PM
  • Hi, 

Let's try following steps and update these drivers again:

Clean update temp files:

1. Press Windows key + R, type service.msc and press enter. 2.

2. Stop Windows update service.

3. Run following command lines one by one to clear update temp files:

cd %windir%

ren SoftwareDistribution SDTemp

exit

4. Restart Windows update service.

If the issue persists, please upload %windir%\Windowsupdate.log in skydrive or similar network drive and post link here for research.

Regards,

Kate Li

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time.
    Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Tuesday, October 22, 2013 2:39 PM
  • qlito,

I have a W530, so I had a similar issue to yours.

Firstly, I noticed you went into the BIOS and disabled one of the graphics' sources.  Did you also disable the Optimus?  I had to do this before Windows would even see the nVidia card.

Secondly, which driver did you download?  I remember searching for the latest driver on the nVidia website, but using the auto-detect function downloaded a different one, that did work.  Don't use the Lenovo site - they haven't really updated the drivers on their site to work with 8.1 (though some of the drivers that work in 8 also work in 8.1)

Hope that helps!

Tuesday, October 22, 2013 3:20 PM
  • After trying all of those things, nothing worked. The NVIDIA auto scan did not work. Here is my Windows Update log. https://skydrive.live.com/?mkt=en-US#cid=6E71217A4B026D42&id=6E71217A4B026D42%21105
    Tuesday, October 22, 2013 9:57 PM
  • The 8007000D error may indicate component store corruption which may have occurred from the upgrade:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/joscon/archive/2012/09/26/fixing-component-store-corruption-in-windows-8-and-windows-server-2012.aspx

Try the following:

Start > type cmd.exe and then right-click cmd.exe and select "Run as administrator"

Then at the command prompt type the following (you can copy and paste) and press "Enter":

DISM.exe /Online /cleanup-image /scanhealth

When that finishes, at the command prompt type the following (you can copy and paste) and press "Enter":

DISM.exe /Online /cleanup-image /Restorehealth   

When that finishes restart the computer.

The following link has some screenshots to further help:

http://www.microcentertech.com/tech_center/DB/read_article.php?faqid=./HowTos2/HOW5008921B.htm

Tuesday, October 22, 2013 10:37 PM
  • try to install with admin sry for the briefness in my post broken finger today  
    Tuesday, October 22, 2013 10:51 PM
  • The 8007000D error may indicate component store corruption which may have occurred from the upgrade:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/joscon/archive/2012/09/26/fixing-component-store-corruption-in-windows-8-and-windows-server-2012.aspx

Try the following:

Start > type cmd.exe and then right-click cmd.exe and select "Run as administrator"

Then at the command prompt type the following (you can copy and paste) and press "Enter":

DISM.exe /Online /cleanup-image /scanhealth

When that finishes, at the command prompt type the following (you can copy and paste) and press "Enter":

DISM.exe /Online /cleanup-image /Restorehealth   

When that finishes restart the computer.

The following link has some screenshots to further help:

http://www.microcentertech.com/tech_center/DB/read_article.php?faqid=./HowTos2/HOW5008921B.htm

Just tried it. Didn't work.
    Wednesday, October 23, 2013 12:43 AM
  • The next step may be a "repair" of Windows - Method 2 in the following article:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/958044/en-us

If you decide to do a "repair" as a general precaution back up any critical files beforehand.

Wednesday, October 23, 2013 2:03 AM