none
Windows 2012 Domain controller

Question

• Hi All,

I will work on a brand new Dell server. I will install Windows 2012 server on it and setup it to be Domain controller and join it to our corrent domain, also setup it to be a DNS server.

Currently, on our domain, I have two Windows 2003 server which are runing as a domain controller and DNS server.

My question is:

What issue I may have when I do it? What I should make attention on when I setup the brand new server? Thanks a lot.

Friday, September 20, 2013 7:10 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

Before we set up the Windows server 2012 as a DC, we need to check to ensure the Domain Functional Level is currently setup to at least Windows 2003 mode. This is the lowest required Domain Functional Level that would allow a Windows Server 2012 Domain Controller installation.

Regarding adding a Windows Server 2012 Domain Controller to an Existing Windows Server 2003 network, the following article may be referred to as reference.

Step-By-Step: Adding a Windows Server 2012 Domain Controller to an Existing Windows Server 2003 network

http://blogs.technet.com/b/canitpro/archive/2013/05/05/step-by-step-adding-a-windows-server-2012-domain-controller-to-an-existing-windows-2003-network.aspx

I hope this will help, and if there is any further question, please feel free to contact us.

Best regards,

Frank Shen

Monday, September 23, 2013 4:45 AM
  • Hi Frank,

Thank you so much for your help.

Monday, September 23, 2013 2:48 PM
  • hi Frank,

Thank you so much for your help. I checked domain function level on my current Windows 2003 server. It shows Windows 2000 native. My question is:

Before I setup my brand new Dell server to be a domain controller, what I should do?

Do I have to raise the domain function level to Windows 2003 on my currently old Windows 2003 server domain controller? Thanks a lot.

Monday, September 23, 2013 5:36 PM
  • Hi,

I am glad to hear that my post is helpful for you.

According to your description, before we set up the Windows 2012 server to be a domain controller, we need to raise the Windows server 2000 native domain function level to Windows server 2003 level, because this is the lowest required Domain Functional Level that would allow a Windows Server 2012 Domain Controller installation.

However, before going further, we must make sure that the domain doesn’t have or won’t have a domain controller that is of an earlier version than the version that is cited for that level.

Regarding how to raise the domain function level to Windows server 2003, the following article may be referred to for more information.

How to raise Active Directory domain and forest functional levels

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322692/en-us

Best regards,

Frank Shen

Tuesday, September 24, 2013 2:21 AM
  • Hi Frank,

Thank you so much for your help. I checked our system. I just has two domain controllers which all installed on Windows server 2003 Standard Edition. It is OK to raise domain function level to Windows server 2003 level, right?

I checked Forest Functional Level on one of my domain controller. it shows Forest Functional Level Windows 2000. Do I have to raise the Forest Functional Level?

Thanks a lot.

Tuesday, September 24, 2013 8:52 PM