none
WSUS 2012 NLB Deployment Guide

Question

• Hi, 

Is there a deployment guide for WSUS 2012 for NLB, the only guide that I found is the WSUS 3.0 SP1 NLB deployment guide where the command line parameter is totally different from the WSUS 4.0.

I already set up the first frontend WSUS 2012, using the server manager add role and features and already configured it. IN the WSUS 3.0 NLB deployment guide, the subsequent WSUS frontend server need to be install using command line. Is there any instruction or guide that I can achieve this.

TQVM for any info.

Rgds

Monday, October 28, 2013 5:44 PM

All replies

• Wednesday, October 30, 2013 11:19 AM
  • Thanks for the info, but I already go through both link before. The first one is configuring wsus 3.0 SP2 for NLB deployment. I stuck at the creating additional frontend wsus server. In that guide after installing the first WSUS server, it required to setup additional frontend server using command line. The guide also stated that we can use simple share as the content directory.

WSUS30-KB972455-xxx.exe /q FRONTEND_SETUP=1 SQLINSTANCE_NAME=server\instance CREATE_DATABASE=0

The parameter CREATE_DATABASE=0 mean that it won't create a database. It will use the existing one.

The nearest command line for WSUS 2012 is the post install utility that need to be run after installing the wsus feature in server 2012

.\wsusutil.exe postinstall SQL_INSTANCE_NAME="<YOUR DATABASE SERVER\INSTANCE>" CONTENT_DIR=D:\WSUS

I'm not sure if running this command on the second and subsequent wsus frontend will overwrite the db instance of the first wsus installation and furthermore it need to specify the WSUS content directory. 

I'm also not sure if specific the same share location for the content_DIR will delete all the data in there that has been download by the first WSUS server

For the second link the operation involve in renaming the WSUS DB. I afraid that in renaming the SUSDB will affect the running of the WSUS server.

Anyway tqvm.

Wednesday, October 30, 2013 4:52 PM
  • Manage to install the additional WSUS frontend server using adding role and feature server manager. Just do as the installation of the first server,  but post installation need to use command line as per above command. Post Installation using server manager failed with error stated that cannot find content directory. My Content Dir is a simple file sharing on another file server. After the post installation there nothing need to be done, coz the WSUS configuration has been done when installing the first WSUS server. When opening the Update Services console, everything is there. Now going to set NLB.

Regards

Friday, November 01, 2013 7:02 AM