none
PowerPoint 2003 shows corrupted files after April 13 automatic updates on Windows XP

Question

• I know this may the wrong forum as it refers to Office 2010, but I am a school teacher in a school district that only has Office 2003 on Windows XP.  District has no money to upgrade district-wide and teachers are not allowed to put their own software on district computers.  I don't know where else to turn. 

Anyway,  i had no problems displaying my PowerPoint 2003 slides through yesterday.  This morning I said "yes" to automatic updates (of which there were 23).  Now, I get the apparently usual message, “PowerPoint was unable to display some of the text, images, or objects as slides in the file (name) because they have become corrupt. Affected slides have been replaced by blank slides in the presentation and it is not possible to recover lost information. To ensure that the file can be opened in previous versions of PowerPoint, use the Save As command and save the file with the same name or a new name.”

I have tried workarounds such as doing a "save as" with different name.  No luck.  I also tried round tripping, following the procedure in this link, http://www.pptworkbench.com/html/round_trip.htm

The problem with attempting round tripping is the PowerPoint 2003 application keeps crashing during the steps in that link (creating an html file) so that I can never complete the procedure.

I have spent hundreds of hours over many years developing PowerPoints for my three levels of chemistry classes and I absolutely need to get to these soon.  State testing is next week, we're trying to do reviews . . . you get the picture.

For what it's worth, I have successfully opened the files on  Mac using Office 2004, Keynote and Neo-Office.  But, I don't have access to a Mac in my classroom so that will not be a workaround for me.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Branton

Branton G. Lachman
    Thursday, April 14, 2011 1:39 AM

Answers

All replies

• We had the same problem and have resolved it by removing update number KB2464588 which was a Powerpoint Security update.

T

Thursday, April 14, 2011 2:21 AM
  • I'd like to try that.  Can you tell me how to remove that update number?  I'm pretty much of a novice on Windows computers.

Thanks.

Branton

Branton G. Lachman
    Thursday, April 14, 2011 2:47 AM
  • Go into your Windows Control Panel,

Open Add or Remove programs

Tick Show Updates

You need to scroll down til you find Security Update fro Powerpoint (KB2464588) which was applied to Powerpoint overnight.

Select Remove

Thats it

• Proposed as answer by David Bagini Thursday, April 14, 2011 3:57 AM
    • Marked as answer by Branton Lachman Thursday, April 14, 2011 3:19 PM
    Thursday, April 14, 2011 3:48 AM
  • Great!  I'll try that tomorrow when I'm back at school and let you know how it went.

Thanks again.

Branton

Branton G. Lachman
    Thursday, April 14, 2011 4:02 AM
  • This worked for me, on Windows 7, but did not work for my co-worker on Vista!
    Thursday, April 14, 2011 8:28 AM
  • To any MS employee: is this going to be fixed? This is a huge problem for us and is going to affect hundreds of our customers!
    Thursday, April 14, 2011 9:18 AM
  • Ya that worked fine for me! All seems ok now.
    Thursday, April 14, 2011 9:22 AM
  • The bulletin says:

Presentations created with newer versions of PowerPoint that contain layouts with a background images may cause an error when opened in PowerPoint 2003. 
    A dialog will notify you that some contents (text, images or objects) have corrupted; 
    the specific content lost will be what is specified in the layout, not the actual slide content itself. 
    Items that were removed will display a blank box or a box containing “cleansed”.

Workarounds for this issue:
    Remove background images from layouts in presentations that have to be accessed and edited from PowerPoint 2003.

After the error message is displayed, save a copy of the presentation and perform edits on the copy.

Removing the updat is even no solution as using another version of Powerpoint as i could not deploy it over the whole Company.

Nor the editing of the Powerpoint documents as described could be done for a whole company. 

If I open such a presentation in Powerpoint 2010, everything seems to be fine. So I saved it as an *.pptx, which could be opened in Powerpoint 2003 fine.

So if I try to save the opnened *.pptx file as an *.pps in Powerpoint 2003 it seems also OK, but even bigger (3MB to about 9MB)

Thursday, April 14, 2011 10:13 AM
  • Side Effect and Error of Microsoft patch KB 2464588 and Office 2003 / Powerpoint 2003 / Corrupt

File:  Office2003-KB2464588-Fullfile.exe

Office: 2003 SP3

MS Patch: KB 2464588

Affected powerpoint.exe

Hello,

Yes this seems a really nock out for some larger enterprise. Currently they are unsure what to do. Patch and catch the Zerso Day Exploit or risk hundredes of Support calls and co-admins who restore Powerpoint from Backup because they think they are corrupt.

Nobdoy can attack MS here. They released the patch in time and the leak was imense. They just thought that everyone has Office 2007/2010 now? Well or maybe the wanted to push sales for MS Partners? ;-)

Since this is a 0day exploit you can:

a) Remove the patche as mentioned down (risk trouble but make people happy in short terms)

b) Remove any background in PPT Files in Powerpoint 2010/2007 and save the file again

Here is how to Silent uninstall the Patch from Windows XP

Package Code Hotfix 2464588: {9AD3D0BA39CF75F4DA2E6B6679942BE5}

GUID Office 2003 PRO English: {91110409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0150048383C9}

c:\windows\system32\msiexec.exe /package {91110409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0150048383C9} /uninstall "c:\edv\POWERPNT.msp" /passive
    c:\windows\system32\msiexec.exe /package {91110409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0150048383C9} /uninstall {9AD3D0BA39CF75F4DA2E6B6679942BE5} /passive
    c:\windows\system32\msiexec.exe /package {90110407-6000-11D3-8CFE-0150048383C9} /uninstall {9AD3D0BA39CF75F4DA2E6B6679942BE5} /passive
    c:\windows\system32\msiexec.exe /package {90110407-6000-11D3-8CFE-0150048383C9} /uninstall "c:\edv\POWERPNT.msp" /passive

* You can reference the Package Code or the MSP Binary File.

I shortly checked my Windows and i see the package in:

"c:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\Download\656f1c6b07c17e834ebe6336235d9ef6\POWERPNT.CAB"

So you can check for that FILE and maybe ater the Deinstall Remove that Folder.

You can check the full solution at www.butsch.ch or direct at http://www.butsch.ch/post/KB-2464588-Office-2003-reports-corrupt-while-opening-newer-File-Version.aspx

Greetins from lovely Switzerland

M. Butsch

Thursday, April 14, 2011 11:42 AM

Tick Show Updates

You need to scroll down til you find Security Update fro Powerpoint (KB2464588) which was applied to Powerpoint overnight.

Select Remove

Thats it

That worked for me!  It took over 10 minutes to remove the update and although it may not have been necessary I then re-started my computer.  Although yesterday's stress probably shortened my life by 5 years I'm feeling pretty good today knowing I will be able to teach my students, especially with state testing coming up next week.

Thank-you, Tamaillan!

Branton

Branton G. Lachman
    Thursday, April 14, 2011 3:08 PM
  • That worked for me as well! Thanks everyone!
    Friday, April 15, 2011 4:59 AM
  • "It took over 10 minutes to remove the update and although it may not have been necessary "

Yes that is corrent and fine.

> This is a MSP Microsoft Patch foer Windows Installer. It needs to open a go trough the FULL Office 2003 Installation Files to Install or Uninstall the Software. Depending on where (Local c) or Network the Source Files are (better and always on a network share) the longer or shorter this will take. This is called MSI Source Path.

You will have to reboot if a single Office Component (Outlook, Tray in right corner for Outlook ) or any part of it is open.

The good thing is that with the MSP Patch system you onle get a small file.

The bad thing you are based on a file AND if some NON IT User installed from CDROM or DVD your may get stuck.

M. Butsch

www.butsch.ch

Friday, April 15, 2011 12:42 PM
  • "Nobdoy can attack MS here."

The fact that Office 2007 / 2010 files are no longer compatible in PowerPoint 2003?!?  Yes, people can attack MS for being damn stupid to supply such a catastrophic patch.  

Friday, April 15, 2011 1:14 PM
  • I'm having exactly the same problem with my Powerpoint 2003 on Windows XP Professional Edition. Unfortunately I don't seem to have received the Security Update KB2464588. Might one of the other 12 patches I received on the 13th have had the same effect?

By the way, I spent 3 hours on the phone to Microsoft Support today and after several misdiagnoses, was left with instructions to re-install Office (which needless to say failed to solve anything). So, I'm delighted to see this thread. 
    Friday, April 15, 2011 2:25 PM
  • I'm having exactly the same problem with my Powerpoint 2003 on Windows XP Professional Edition. Unfortunately I don't seem to have received the Security Update KB2464588. Might one of the other 12 patches I received on the 13th have had the same effect?

I had a very hard time finding the update.  It didn't seem to show when I sorted the updates by date, but when I sorted them by name there was a section called Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003 and the update was the last one (or one of the last ones) in the indented subsection just underneath that.

By the way, it took several minutes for my admittedly slow computer to compile all the programs. 

You do this under Control Panels/Add or Remove Programs

I hope this helps.

Branton

Branton G. Lachman
    Friday, April 15, 2011 4:33 PM
  • Thanks Brandon but I've checked, re-checked and checked again but no patch is numbered appropriately.
    Friday, April 15, 2011 4:56 PM
  • Thanks very much to David Bagini and Branton Lachman! Gentlemen, I'm quite pleased to discover this site, it has saved me many hours and a lot of frustration. Your suggestion worked perfectly. I also am under a deadline and had composed an intricate PowerPoint in the late hours last evening only to see it destroyed by Microsoft.

I remain persistently perplexed by that organization. It seems to me that they frequently have no awareness of unintended consequences, or the alternative, know exactly what they are doing to force upgrades and additional expenditures on their new product releases.

Thanks again

Patrick McGuire

Friday, April 15, 2011 6:01 PM
  • Thanks Brandon but I've checked, re-checked and checked again but no patch is numbered appropriately.

Perhaps you might recognize the patch to delete by its name.  If you sort the programs by name and if you find the section titled, "Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003," and then look at the files under that section you might find one that has "Powerpoint" in its name. If it is dated on or around April 13, 1010 (as mine was) then I'd suggest deleting it even if it doesn't have the correct number and re-starting your computer.  It won't be completely "lost" because the next day you boot up you will get the "Updates are ready to install . . . " on your computer and you will find that MS is trying to re-install the deleted update.

Forgive me if all this is obvious and you've already tried it.  I'm just trying to help in grasping at straws.

One other thought - perhaps illogical, but what do you have to lose?  Since you have re-installed Office it may be that's why the the Powerpoint update isn't showing even though it might still reside somewhere on your computer (as I said, illogical, but nothing to lose by trying my suggestion below).  As an aside, you mentioned 12 updates, but I had 23 updates.  So maybe, what you could try would be to re-install all updates (again) since this will now be after your Office re-installation and then again look for the PowerPoint security update and it might actually now be visible and therefore able to be deleted

Branton. 

Branton G. Lachman
    Friday, April 15, 2011 6:30 PM
  • The instructions to uninstall aren't working for me - on Windows 7.  I get the following error.  Anyone can help me out?

This update package could not be opened. Verify that the update package exists and that you can access it, or contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid Windows Installer update package.

Thanks!

Friday, April 15, 2011 8:41 PM
  • I blogged about this yesterday:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/bgp/archive/2011/04/14/new-security-update-ms11-022.aspx

For the issues caused by update KB2464588 we are aware and working on a fix with very high priority due to the amount users affected. We don't have ETA but it's in the works but if I have one I'll make sure to post back.

In some cases there have also been PowerPoint hanging/freezing (Not Responding). Despite this we do not recommend you uninstall the security update. If you must uninstall I recommend doing so on an isolated environment, such as a priviate network on its own subnet not connected to the internet. Virtual Machine technonlogy is another method. Once a fix is out I'll try to post a reply to this thread.

Aaron Rykhus

Sr. Support Engineer

Microsoft Corporation

Friday, April 15, 2011 11:30 PM
  • Hello.

I don't know if my answer will be erased, but I try (sorry, english is not my mother language).

First: download a bootable cd or better a usb key with a gnu/linux distribution

second: try to open the pps with LibreOffice (or openoffice.org).

if you don't have any problem, You can go to your class, boot on cd (or usb key), and make your presentation. 

Third: for the future, make your presentation with Tex, LaTex and Beamer... --> presentation in PDF. With it, you'll never use power point.

You can see the result for presentation in PDF by typing "beamer" in the Net.

You'r welcome

Saturday, April 16, 2011 9:06 AM
  • While uninstalling the security update KB2464588 solved the problem, Windows Update installed the same update again and recreated the problem.

I uninstalled the update again, solved the problem again, and now have turned off the automatic security updates to control the problem.

It would seem that Microsoft engineers are aware of the problem, it therefore seems they could at least remove that patch from the current update protocols, until they can resolve the problem in an alternative fashion.

Sunday, April 17, 2011 1:56 PM
  • Another twist. One of my users apparently had two installations of office on her machine, standard and pro. The patch installed twice and both had to be removed seperately.

Monday, April 18, 2011 2:09 AM
  • I blogged about this yesterday:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/bgp/archive/2011/04/14/new-security-update-ms11-022.aspx

For the issues caused by update KB2464588 we are aware and working on a fix with very high priority due to the amount users affected. We don't have ETA but it's in the works but if I have one I'll make sure to post back.

In some cases there have also been PowerPoint hanging/freezing (Not Responding). Despite this we do not recommend you uninstall the security update. If you must uninstall I recommend doing so on an isolated environment, such as a priviate network on its own subnet not connected to the internet. Virtual Machine technonlogy is another method. Once a fix is out I'll try to post a reply to this thread.

Aaron Rykhus

Sr. Support Engineer

Microsoft Corporation

1. How does "blogging" about it constitute any kind of formal response to serious flaws in a security update?!

2. Hanging / freezing: correct.  When working with MS Graphs objects, we have seen about 1 in 10 graphs PowerPoint hangs when exiting the datasheet.  This only happens when "corrupt" data has been removed.  

3. If you are still asking people to install the patch then you clearly do not understand the extent of this problem.  Enterprises cannot install this due to fact that many use background images for logos and need to exchange documents with clients that still have PowerPoint 2003

This patch really needs to be pulled so that (1) people stop installing it and (2) pressure is applied to correct it.
    Monday, April 18, 2011 7:26 AM
  • Ahhh. Am getting really frustrated. I'm a freelance instructional designer and about 80% of my work at the moment is in ppt.

I have ppts that have been created by authors in office 2010. When I opened them, i got that message.I said ok and started working in the ppt - but every time about 30 seconds later after a bit of clicking about, it crashes. The authors saved as .ppt, not .pptx.

I then deleted the security updated as suggested above, the message has gone, but still the crashing.

In desperation i deleted all of the security updates (another 3) for PowerPoint corresponding to that day.

It still keep crashing.

Any suggestions would be most welcome as it's stopping me working! Lovely microsoft - hmmm.

Cheers.

Monday, April 18, 2011 3:38 PM
  • @Ybird29 You must disable the autospelling in powerpoint2003. This resolves the Problem. Works for me

Cheers!

• Proposed as answer by Batti Monday, April 18, 2011 8:01 PM
    Monday, April 18, 2011 7:40 PM
  • I was able to solve the problem for our presentations in the following way without uninstalling the security patch:

1. disable autospelling as mentioned above (start powerpoint 2003 with empty presentation, change options, quit)
    2. open a presentation with the mentioned error
    3. change to the master view and delete one of the images (there should be at least one image as this is causing the error as far as i understood)
    4. undo the deletion with CTRL-Z and save the changes
    5. now assign the "new" master to all existing pages
    6. save the changes again

After this procedure we are able to open the presentation without the error message....

Good luck,

Dirk

Tuesday, April 19, 2011 2:29 PM
    1. disable autospelling as mentioned above (start powerpoint 2003 with empty presentation, change options, quit)
    2. open a presentation with the mentioned error
    3. change to the master view and delete one of the images (there should be at least one image as this is causing the error as far as i understood)
    4. undo the deletion with CTRL-Z and save the changes
    5. now assign the "new" master to all existing pages
    6. save the changes again

Whilst this solves the problem for a single individual this cannot work for entire organisations.  

Consider company X on PowerPoint 2007 collaborating with company Y on PowerPoint 2003.  You cannot ask Company X to update all its PPTX files to remove their background images and you cannot train all users in Company Y to correctly open documents.

Yes this is a proposed solution for a single instance of the issue but this cannot be the solution for enterprises that are regularly exchanging documents.

Tuesday, April 19, 2011 2:37 PM
  • By " turn off Autospelling" do you mean uncheck all spelling boxes in Spelling and Style Tab? or just always suggest corrections?

This is causing lots of frustration with my speaking and training colleagues, who speak to many corporate audiences. This is why more and more of us are turning to Macs.(Auto updates just reinstalled the offending patch, that I removed yesterday)

Tuesday, April 19, 2011 3:46 PM
  • The Office Sustained Engineering, the group who's in charge of Office patches, posted this on their blog which has updated info on a fix.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/office_sustained_engineering/archive/2011/04/12/april-2011-office-security-update-release.aspx

Until we have a fix to correct the issue there's a few comments:

• The "content" that is throwing the error is new layout masters in 2007/2010 with something added. It's not just backgrounds. It can be anything in the layout master. If you add something to one of the layouts in Slide Master view in 2007/2010 then you'll see the error in 2003. The biggest entry point for this is Themes or copying/pasting from slides and keeping source formatting.
    • The workaround of saving in 2003 to save a copy as should work fine if you can open the file and click OK to get past the message pop-up. I've heard of some issues with PowerPoint hanging when you click OK. So the workaround obviously won't work if you get the hang. The other issue I've seen is if you save the copy and try to make a change powerpoint hangs. The one tip here would be to make just a minor change, delete one charater, save and close the file. The key point is to CLOSE the file, then re-open and you should be fine.
    Tuesday, April 19, 2011 10:45 PM
  • @snspy

Love it, but not practical for my users.

Wednesday, April 20, 2011 11:48 AM
  • Many many many thanks! That worked like a charm. I'm using ppt'03 with vista home, and I thought I had lost all my presentations!! But your solution did the trick.
    Wednesday, April 20, 2011 1:30 PM
  • Its madness! I have had to remove it from many many computers, most customers still using outlook 2003.. 

When they open up slides, says many slides have become corrupt, 

worked this out by running a restore, noticed powerpoint update KB2464588, once deleted all is well again!

but not good when you have many customers and who dont use Wsus.

thanks Microsoft.

Wednesday, April 20, 2011 1:44 PM
  • The Office Sustained Engineering, the group who's in charge of Office patches, posted this on their blog which has updated info on a fix.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/office_sustained_engineering/archive/2011/04/12/april-2011-office-security-update-release.aspx

Until we have a fix to correct the issue there's a few comments:

• The "content" that is throwing the error is new layout masters in 2007/2010 with something added. It's not just backgrounds. It can be anything in the layout master. If you add something to one of the layouts in Slide Master view in 2007/2010 then you'll see the error in 2003. The biggest entry point for this is Themes or copying/pasting from slides and keeping source formatting.
    • The workaround of saving in 2003 to save a copy as should work fine if you can open the file and click OK to get past the message pop-up. I've heard of some issues with PowerPoint hanging when you click OK. So the workaround obviously won't work if you get the hang. The other issue I've seen is if you save the copy and try to make a change powerpoint hangs. The one tip here would be to make just a minor change, delete one charater, save and close the file. The key point is to CLOSE the file, then re-open and you should be fine.

That doesn't seem to apply to me.  I do not have Office 2007/2010.  I only have Office 2003.  The problem occurs with my slides - not with any that have been sent to me by users with a possibly later version.  Since it is only my 2003 slides I don't see how the new layout masters in 2007/2010 would have anything to do with it.  Only removing KB2464588 worked, although I note that I haven't tried turning off autospelling as a previous poster has suggested.  Anyway, I bring this up to suggest MS's Office of Sustained Engineering (thank, Aaron, for sharing their post) that there may more wrong with KB2464588 than merely an issue with the 2007/2010 new layout masters. 
    Branton G. Lachman
    Wednesday, April 20, 2011 2:55 PM
  • This worked for me...

Thanks,

Wednesday, April 20, 2011 3:49 PM
  • I have the exact same situation as Branton - my XP media center machine has office 2003 only and I created all my own slides and ppt. Only removing KB2464588 and supressing the re-installs of it worked. No turning off autospell etc

I also have a brand new windows 7 home premium desktop with an Office 2010 home and business trial which opens those 2003 ppt with no problems.

Terry

Wednesday, April 20, 2011 5:47 PM
  • Thanks so much for taking the time to post your clear, concise answer. Today, I was confused and concerned because while editing a powerpoint from two weeks ago for a meeting, Powerpoint kept crashing. I also have 2003 and noticed that some work powerpoints seemed fine, other ones corrupted.  Rebooting several times did not help. Fortunately, I googled and came to this site. Following your directions, I ( a non-techie writer)easily  fixed the problem!
    Wednesday, April 20, 2011 11:30 PM
  • After deleting the KB2464588 update the user was able to work on her PPT, But today the issue came back and the update got installed again. I went and deleted the update again and now again able to work on PowerPoint. Is there a way to disable that update from coming in, or another work around till the fix comes out?
    Thursday, April 21, 2011 7:28 PM
  • It would be helpful to explain the exact nature of the dangers of deleting the patch.

1) Is there any danger of an infection if the user does not download any ppt presentations from the internet?

2) Is there any danger if downloaded ppt files are run in ppt viewer, but not in ppt itself?

Friday, April 22, 2011 1:30 AM
  • I had the same problem with PPT after the April 12 2011 Security Update.  I use Windows 7 on 64bit.

I could not find KB2464588, but I did find for "Security Update Microsoft PowerPoint 2002 (KB2464617) Installation date: ‎4/‎13/‎2011", removed it, and success!

Saturday, April 23, 2011 3:04 PM
  • I had the same problem in the company I work.

This forum really helped me solve this problem.

Thank you all!

V.Bruno 

Monday, April 25, 2011 4:42 PM
  • Looks like Microsoft released a Patch.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2543241

• Marked as answer by David Wolters Tuesday, April 26, 2011 3:45 PM
    Tuesday, April 26, 2011 2:12 PM
  • The Hotfix works like a charm.

Has anybody experienced similar problems with word and TOC.

Wednesday, April 27, 2011 10:38 AM
  • MS11-022 doesn't apply to Word, just PowerPoint.

Notes on the hotfix KB2543241:

• Request the hotfix here http://support.microsoft.com/hotfix/KBHotfix.aspx?kbnum=2543241&kbln=en-us
    • To install the hotfix you need to extract the hotfix with password received in email, then run the office2003-KB2543241-ENU.exe to extract POWERPNT.msp. Then run POWERPNT.msp.
    • The hotfix 2543241 includes the security update in 2464588 and fixes the error opening ppt files. So if you have uninstalled 2464588 you can simply install 2543241 and the vulnerabilies in MS11-022 are patched.
    • If you already saved files with 2464588 error that removed the "corrupt" content, the hotfix 2543241 will not be able to go back in time and recover that data.
    • Files that were not saved after you opened with 2464588 and got the error (closed without saving) will have the content in-tact without the error.
    • The Powerpnt.exe build for the hotfix 2543241 is 11.8335.xxxx. You can check the file version in %systemdrive%\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office11, assuming you installed to the default install location for Office 2003. This may come in handy if want to verify you have the hotfix or not.
    • The hotfix 2543241 applies to all languages.
    • The hotfix 2543241 is not in Windows Update or WSUS.
    • The hotfix 2543241 will be in the June security updates that will be in Windows Updates.
    • For the hotfix announcement see http://blogs.technet.com/b/office_sustained_engineering/archive/2011/04/23/issues-after-installing-powerpoint-2003-update-kb2464588.aspx
    • If you're still seeing issues with the hotfix 2543241 installed please contact MS Support - http://support.microsoft.com/select/Default.aspx?target=assistance
    Thursday, April 28, 2011 3:36 AM
  • Thursday, April 28, 2011 10:54 PM
  • The hotfix worked until today.. has anyone else had this problem??? My Powerpoint is doing the exact same thing it was before. I can open it for like 10 seconds then it stops responding but it doesn't say there's anything corrupted this time. What is going on with PPT?!?!?
    Friday, April 29, 2011 2:08 AM
  • I had the same problem but I can't delete the KB.... and the hotfix doesn't work. HELP!!
    Friday, April 29, 2011 2:14 AM
  • Well done Batti! Your solution to disable autospelling has worked for me and Microsoft's Hotfix didn't. Many thanks.
    Friday, April 29, 2011 10:21 AM
  • For me the same. Hotfix doesn't solve the powerpoint hanging problem. Disabling the the autospelling works great. Also saving the powerpoint 2003 file as 2007 or 2010 pptx file also works.
    Friday, April 29, 2011 11:33 AM
  • Update

When i disable the autospelling using the GUI it works. When i disable the autospelling using GPO it doesn't work.

Friday, April 29, 2011 1:29 PM

Tick Show Updates

You need to scroll down til you find Security Update for Powerpoint (KB2464588) which was applied to Powerpoint overnight.

Select Remove

Thats it

Thanks! This worked for me!

However I have lost several days of time and work trying to work this out.  What a disaster!  At least it just might be over....

Saturday, April 30, 2011 5:57 PM
  • The hotfix was said SP3 then SP4, so I wasn't confident I was going to fix the right thing.

Removing KB2464588 worked for me.

Thanks!

Wednesday, May 04, 2011 7:52 AM
  •  Removing the security patch didn't work for me (XP, PPT 2003). The hotfix didn't fix anything. Removing autospelling did. Thanks Dirk.

For what it's worth, I'm getting rid of my laptop after this experience and getting a Macbook. I already work on a Mac desktop in the office and was using the Windows machine when travelling to see clients, but this was the last straw. Good bye Microsoft, and good riddance.

Monday, May 09, 2011 1:37 PM
  • The Hotfix seems to stop the error message but the application still freezes when editing a slide.  How can I fix this for my entire orginization without uninstalling the security patch.  I am not sure the disabling the autospelling is feasable across the whole company.

Thanks,

Jeff

Monday, May 09, 2011 2:13 PM
  • Hi All

I am having the opposite issue, I have a file that was created in Office 2003, it work fine in all the latest version of office, except OFFICE 2010, The embeded images disapear and some Embeded Excel chart disapear, any Idea about this issue..

Thank you in advance

Monday, May 16, 2011 1:48 PM
  • I tried to remove KB2464588, but could not find it since I am using Windows 7. I removed the latest security update for PowerPoint, but it did not fix the issue. Any ideas?

Tuesday, May 17, 2011 4:05 PM
  • Hi

i was having the issue i remove the KB2464588 but the issue still there when i move some graphics after a random time it freeze again don't know what to remove ...

Thanks

Monday, July 18, 2011 6:01 PM
  • Hi, I am using PowerPoint 2007 on Windows 7 and after saving a file (that had lots of pictures in the background in the master slide), it gives me that error message above and my slides are replaced by blank ones. It's possible that the original file was created a long time ago in PowerPoint 2003, I wouldn't know. I don't have the Security Update KB2464588 as I am not on PowerPoint 2003. As Thinkfast00 I tried removing the two PowerPoint security patches I found in the Control Panel but it didn't make any change. Is there anyway I can restore my file or is it just corrupted forever??
    Thursday, August 11, 2011 1:46 PM
  • If you saved that file after you got the message, then yes. If not you can copy the slides into a new presentation or use the Home tab, Slides, Reuse Slides option to insert the slides into a new presentation.
    Thursday, August 11, 2011 2:01 PM