none
windows server foundation limit for devices connected simultaneously

Question

• I'm studying alternatives to implement a file server in a company with +25 users using half windows and half mac computers.

Obviously that, windows licensing cost is an issue here.

They don't need a very complex policie regarding permissions; users are organized in 5 working groups and 5 other persons need individual permissions.

One possibilitie that came up was to use the Windows Server Foundation that, I know, is limited to 15 users.

The question is:

If we create, let's say, 10 users where, some of them, are shared by different persons and, each person using a different computer will be, simultaneously, accessing the server to edit files or print to a shared printer connected to the server.

I would like to confirm if, first, this will not hurt Windows Foundation licensing policie and, second, if this will not be refused ar some point by the server.

Thanks in advance

Tuesday, April 29, 2014 7:52 PM

Answers

• from a licensing perspective, a user, is a person, not an account.

it does not matter if there are 10 people, all login as Jorge - still, 10 licenses are required.

there are strict technical control mechanisms built-in to WSF and WSE/SBS, and if you exceed the permitted configuration, the server will complain, and, perhaps, even shut down every few hours.

I think WSE is limited to 25users/50devices (you can check on the product information website).

Have you considered hosted or cloud instead?

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

Tuesday, April 29, 2014 9:54 PM
  • the documentation for WSF should help with your question, and it is here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj679892.aspx

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

Thursday, May 01, 2014 8:47 AM

All replies

• from a licensing perspective, a user, is a person, not an account.

it does not matter if there are 10 people, all login as Jorge - still, 10 licenses are required.

there are strict technical control mechanisms built-in to WSF and WSE/SBS, and if you exceed the permitted configuration, the server will complain, and, perhaps, even shut down every few hours.

I think WSE is limited to 25users/50devices (you can check on the product information website).

Have you considered hosted or cloud instead?

Don

Tuesday, April 29, 2014 9:54 PM
  • Thanks Don,

So, you're saying that, definitely, WSF will not allow 25 computers accessing, simultaneously, files in the server?

I know that Essentials allows 25 users but, that's the exact number of users they have today so, it would be a start in the limit.

I'm still evaluating all the options to make it work internally but, cloud could be na option.

Appreciate your reply, many thanks.

Thursday, May 01, 2014 12:46 AM
  • the documentation for WSF should help with your question, and it is here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj679892.aspx

Don

Thursday, May 01, 2014 8:47 AM
  • Thanks Don, appreciate your suggestions and comments.

I had read the WSF documentation before but, my doubt raised to the fact that, I haven't found explicitly mentioned restrictions to the maximum number of devices allowed to connect simultaneously.

Anyway, I'm going to consider it implicit and, obviously, will not assume the risk to try it.

Many thanks.

Monday, May 05, 2014 1:26 PM