none
Microsoft Hyper-V VFC issue

Question

• Hello users,

I  am trying to configure Microsoft 2012 Hyper-V Virtual fibre configuration in our lab environment, facing some issues on configuration below are the issues which i am facing.

1. Configured VFC on the Base Hyper-V.

2. Created Virtual machines, with VFC enabled on all of them.

3. After this i have included those virtual WWN's of these VM's in the zone also.

4. The problem is that once zoning is done, and try to present the luns to that VM, i am not able to see those LUNs from the array to the host.

my question was here, that is there any zone issues, or there is some standard steps or guide which needs to be followed during the VFC zoning configuration.

Switch and HBA details used in our environment are as mentioned below

Adapter: 0[com.emulex-LPe1105-HP-0]
    HBA Model:LPe1105-HP
    Model Decription : HP BLc Emulex LPe1105-HP FC Mezz Option Kit
    Driver Version : 2.74.014.001
    Number of ports :1
    Firmware Version : 2.82X4
    Driver Name : elxfc

Switch details are :-

Brocade 4100 SAN Switch 

Kernel:     2.6.14.2
    Fabric OS:  v6.2.2f
    Made on:    Wed Dec 14 18:34:06 2011
    Flash:      Wed May 30 05:38:09 2012
    BootProm:   4.6.6

Any help would be appreciated....!

Thanks,

Vinay

Tuesday, October 08, 2013 5:54 AM

Answers

• There are so many things that need to be configured to use virtual fibre channel, and very little benefit, particularly if you have access to 2012 R2.  R2 provides the ability to cluster VMs using plain old .vhdx files stored on CSV.  It is so simple to set up.

But, you said you had just 2012.  Anyway, you don't mention your storage.  You most likely have to mask the LUNs on your storage.  You don't provide any of the details of your zoning, so that's pretty hard to guess at.  Don't know what you mean when you say you "Configured VFC on the Base Hyper-V".  Virtual FC is for virtual machines, not for physical.  Maybe you mean that you have configured FC on the physical Hyper-V host and have proven access to the LUNs presented by FC?

One of the basic places to start is check flogi on your switch.  When you turn on your VMs, do they show in flogi on the switch?

One thing I noticed when I configured VMs for vFC was that I only needed the first set of WWN from each adapter - found out by looking at flogi.

The fact that you were able to configure vFC for the VMs means that you have a driver that supports it.  Once you have created the VMs with the vFCs and connected them to the defined vsan, configuring them is pretty much the same as configuring for the physical environment.  The devil is in the details.  (That's why I really like R2).

.:|:.:|:. tim

Tuesday, October 08, 2013 9:32 PM