none
Login Script

Question

• I have about 120+ people mapped to a specific drive letter and share.  This is NOT done via a script, we manually map every time.  We changed servers and now I need a way to find a way to update the mapped drive without going to each user.  I was thinking of GPO but that won't work as each choice (Create, Update, Replace) will add a map for everyone in the organization.

I was hoping something can be done via login script but not sure how to do it.

Thursday, September 19, 2013 7:37 PM

Answers

•   I was thinking of GPO but that won't work as each choice (Create, Update, Replace) will add a map for everyone in the organization.

Well, it will apply to whomever you choose it to.
    If you create a GPO, and add AD group security filtering to that GPO, then only the users who are members of that AD security group will have the GPO applied.

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

Friday, September 20, 2013 12:17 AM
  • You can achieve this by using LOGON Scripts and apply it through group policy .

Please create a simple Batch file to unmap the old drive and Map the new drive. Make sure these users have appropriate rights/Permissions to the share location. See sample batch below

Net use X: /Delete /Y

Net use X: \\servername\share$

Firstly, are these 100+ users in a specific OU? –

If yes, then it makes everything easy (You can link the GPO directly to that OU and it applies to all Users)

If No, then you might need to filter the GPO to a specific group which all your (100+ USERS will be member of).

Regards

MassonTech..

Monday, September 23, 2013 9:28 AM

All replies

• Hello,

please describe if you run a domain and which OS versions, server and clients, are used including the SP/patch level. Without this information it is too difficult to help you as the last years there where major changes for mapping drive shares. So logon scripts can be replaced with GPP for example.

Best regards

Meinolf Weber
    MVP, MCP, MCTS
    Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
    My Blog: http://msmvps.com/blogs/mweber/

Disclaimer: This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

Thursday, September 19, 2013 7:53 PM
  • I am running Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 and the clients are Win XP and Win7

Thursday, September 19, 2013 8:25 PM
  •   I was thinking of GPO but that won't work as each choice (Create, Update, Replace) will add a map for everyone in the organization.

Well, it will apply to whomever you choose it to.
    If you create a GPO, and add AD group security filtering to that GPO, then only the users who are members of that AD security group will have the GPO applied.

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

Friday, September 20, 2013 12:17 AM
  • Hi,

Since you mentioned that it didn’t work while mapping drives via GPP, would you please

let me know how did you configure the settings and where did you link the GPO to?

Have you configured some settings to limit the scope of the GPO applying? In order

to narrow down the cause of the issue,

please try to collect the following information.

GPMC.log

==================

a. On domain controller, click Start ->Run, type GPMC.MSC, it will load the GPMC

console.

b. Right click on "Group Policy Result" and choose wizard to generate a report for the  

problematic computer and user account (please place appropriately). (Choose  

computer and select the proper user in the wizard)

c. Right click the resulting group policy result and click the "Save Report…" => save 

report:to save the report to a HTML file.

Once we get the report, please check if the settings have been applied to the target

correctly.

For reference:

Using Group Policy Preferences to Map Drives Based on Group Membership

Regarding using scripts for mapping a drive, please check here:

Mapping Drives in Logon Scripts Is There a Better Way

Hope this helps,

Best regards

Michael

Friday, September 20, 2013 8:44 AM
  • You can achieve this by using LOGON Scripts and apply it through group policy .

Please create a simple Batch file to unmap the old drive and Map the new drive. Make sure these users have appropriate rights/Permissions to the share location. See sample batch below

Net use X: /Delete /Y

Net use X: \\servername\share$

Firstly, are these 100+ users in a specific OU? –

If yes, then it makes everything easy (You can link the GPO directly to that OU and it applies to all Users)

If No, then you might need to filter the GPO to a specific group which all your (100+ USERS will be member of).

Regards

MassonTech..

Monday, September 23, 2013 9:28 AM