none
routing traffic in server 2008R2

Question

• Hi guys

I'm having a difficult time trying to get this right, hopefully someone can assist me.

I have a computer with Server 2008 R2 that has a WiFi NIC and a LAN NIC.

The WiFi is connecting to a wireless router that has unrestricted internet access, and the LAN is connected to a wired router allowing a number of clients to connect.

I want for the clients on the LAN to be able to access the internet that is on the wireless, then I can monitor internet activities through the server.

The issue I am having is that the LAN clients just cannot get access to internet, i have tried using RIP and NAT, that did work initially but for some reason it did not survive a reboot of the server and then I could never get it working again.

I do have DHCP installed to provide IP addresses to the LAN clients, and I have DNS installed which is using Google's public DNS (8.8.8.8)

A little background info on my network setup:

Wireless router supplying internet has a gateway address of 192.168.1.1

WiFi NIC on server has a static IP 192.168.1.2

LAN NIC on server has static IP 192.168.0.10 and I have turned DHCP off on the router as i want the server to allocate IPs

If anyone could shed some light on how to set this up properly I would really appreciate it.

Thank you

Wednesday, June 26, 2013 6:09 PM

All replies

• Hello,

is this a domain or workgroup setup?

Best regards

Meinolf Weber
    MVP, MCP, MCTS
    Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
    My Blog: http://msmvps.com/blogs/mweber/

Disclaimer: This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

Wednesday, June 26, 2013 6:47 PM
  • My apologies for ommitting that information. It will be a workgroup setup, I don't have active directory services installed
    Wednesday, June 26, 2013 6:51 PM
  • you can install the RRAS service on the router and do a NAT to give internet access to the local users but as a matter of fact you will not me able to monitor the internet usage or the sites visited by the users, to do this you will need Forefront TMG server.

http://www.arabitpro.com

Monday, July 01, 2013 11:26 AM
  • you can run a proxy server which will help you in sharing the internet, monitoring and filtering traffic among clients.
    Monday, July 01, 2013 11:30 AM
  • Thanks for the feedback What I have done since i posted my query is I left the idea of using RRAS and instead I bridged the two adapters, this has allowed sharing internet between the two connections. I had a look at Forefront TMG but that looks somewhat out of my league to configure, bearing in mind I'm just doing this whole setup as a home server. The monitoring part would have been nice to have, but its not critical. I'm using Softperfect Networx to monitor bandwidth usage but obviously that isn't monitoring which user is doing what. If anyone can suggest a more simple approach to the monitoring, I'm all ears, but otherwise that project is canceled for now... Something I have noticed is that some internet requests from the clients seem to take a long time to get a response, I have a feeling thats due to the DNS so I'm going to experiment with another DNS server and see what happens, maybe use a local one.
    Monday, July 01, 2013 5:00 PM