none
Excel Web Part showing stale data for people with NO access to the cube

Question

• Environment: MOSS 2007, SQL Analysis Server 2008; Kerberos authentication

I have a Web Part that displays a Pivot Table from a Trusted Excel doc. When I open the Dashboard page with this web part, I see correct and refreshed data from the cube. When ANOTHER user does the same, (this user does NOT have ANY permissions to view or browse the base cube) they first get an error saying the data cannot be queried, which is fine. BUT, when they click the OK button they see the LAST CACHED VERSION of this Excel Pivot Table from when it was last saved. This happens even if I set the "Refresh Data on opening of file".

How do I make it so that if a User does NOT have permissions on the cube, that Excel Services won't show them anything at all. Stale data is worse than no data at all because even though they don't have permissions to view it, they might then think it is accurate.

Todd C - MSCTS SQL Server 2005 - Please mark posts as answered where appropriate.
    Thursday, September 23, 2010 8:00 PM

All replies

• Hi Todd,

Create an audience for the users that have access to view the reports and after the audience is compiled add the audience to the EWA webpart, this will enabvle the WebPart to show up for the users that have access and to not display for the users who do not.

-Ivan 

Ivan Sanders My LinkedIn Profile, My Blog, @iasanders.
    Monday, July 04, 2011 5:18 PM