none
File conflicts - "a device attached to the system is not functioning"

Question

• Since I installed PP1 I am getting a lot of yellow alerts complaining about file conflicts beacuse "a device attached to the system is not functioning". If I restart the server, the alerts go away, only to return a little later but relating to different files.

I have no errors indicated on any of my disks (6 in total) and both "server storage" and "shared folders" is showing healthy on all counts.

Any suggestions?

Saturday, July 26, 2008 11:52 AM

Answers

• Haven't been able to follow this topic for a while. FWIW these errors have stopped appearing, for the last 3 weeks my WHS has been rock solid. Must have been something that had to do with the recent upgrade to PP1.

Friday, August 22, 2008 12:10 PM

All replies

•  politby wrote:
    Since I installed PP1 I am getting a lot of yellow alerts complaining about file conflicts beacuse "a device attached to the system is not functioning". If I restart the server, the alerts go away, only to return a little later but relating to different files.

I have no errors indicated on any of my disks (6 in total) and both "server storage" and "shared folders" is showing healthy on all counts.

Any suggestions?

I would suggest running chkdsk on all of the drives.  Also, have you tried looking at the event logs on the server?  It may give you a better idea of what's going on.

Saturday, July 26, 2008 1:09 PM
  • I am also getting this error after the PP1 upgrade (no errors prior).  In addition, I now have about 100 errors of "the system cannot find the drive specified" (and growing")although all files mentioned appear to be fine.

re: running chkdsk.

Can you specifiy how to do this ?  from a remote client station or on the actual server ... I thought we were supposed to stay away from running any command line stufdd directly on the server.  If not, how do I run chkdsk?

Also, any suggestions re fixing the can not find the drive specified error?

Thanks!

David

Tuesday, July 29, 2008 5:20 AM
  • You need to RDP into the server, and then open Windows Explorer on the server. Navigate to C:\fs\(x) where (x) is a random indicator and 'right-click' on the selected drive. Select Properties, which opens the General page, from here, again open Properties, which will give access to Tools from where you can select error Checking.

Alternatively, you can access the same thing through the Disk Management on the server.

Colin

Tuesday, July 29, 2008 3:10 PM
  • Hi Colin,

Thanks for the suggestion.

Ran chkdsk but still multiple instances in Resolve File Conflicts of the "cannot find the drive specified error."

Note - All the files seem fine that are flagged as errors.

Also tried copying the error listed files from WHS to local PC, then deleting on WHS and then copying back to WHS as was suggested by another posting.

This remove a few of the warnings but many still remain. 

Also in one of the Resolve file conflicts listed folder there is a " an internal error occured" error.

Also on the one's that did disappear after the combination of chkdsk and the above copy/delete recopy approach, it took some time for the file conflict screen to update to reflect the success.  I have now waited over 20 hours and still see the other errors.  Is there a way to force a refresh on the File Conflicts recap .. tried exiting tab and aloso shutting down WHS console but that did not seem to help.

Thanks

DD

Any other suggestions.

Wednesday, July 30, 2008 11:03 PM
  • Same problem , here , no issues scince today , file conflicts , a device ....
    3 times this problem is in my list of network health. every time with several files.

The files don't seem to work anymore , nor can I copy or delete them

This is a huge problem scince I have to trust this system with 3.5 TB of data which I can not backup.

The shared folders these files are on show up as failing(check health) , how the *** do I do that ?

I tried chkdsk on al volume in c:fs no issues

I tried the toolkit , but can't find the add-in under /server/software/add-ins ?

I have no software keeping any filles open on shared folders

Wednesday, August 20, 2008 2:10 PM
  •  FluoDude wrote:
    Same problem , here , no issues scince today , file conflicts , a device ....
    3 times this problem is in my list of network health. every time with several files.

The files don't seem to work anymore , nor can I copy or delete them

This is a huge problem scince I have to trust this system with 3.5 TB of data which I can not backup.

The shared folders these files are on show up as failing(check health) , how the *** do I do that ?

I tried chkdsk on al volume in c:fs no issues

I tried the toolkit , but can't find the add-in under /server/software/add-ins ?

I have no software keeping any filles open on shared folders

Did you publish the toolkit to the server?

From the WHS manual

Installing the add-in

You can use Advanced Mode to install the Toolkit Add-In on your home server. The Toolkit Add-In adds a Settings page called Toolkit.

To install the add-in, you must first have the Connector software installed on your home computer. To install the add-in from the Connector Troubleshooter, click Server, and then click Publish Server Add-In.

If you previously installed the Toolkit Add-In, you must first uninstall it by using the Windows Home Server Console, and then delete the Toolkit.msi file from the Software\Add-ins folder on your home server.

Important

Uninstalling the Toolkit Add-In from your home server is not enough. You also must delete the Toolkit.msi file.

The Troubleshooter does not copy the add-in file over an existing Toolkit.msi file, and it warns you about this.

Alternatively, you can use a command prompt or Windows Explorer to copy Toolkit.msi from the %ProgramFiles%\Windows Home Server\Toolkit folder on your home computer to the \\ServerName\Software\Add-Ins shared folder on your home server.

Please file a bug on Connect for the file conflicts. We will need server cabs and both a right justified and left justified screen shot of the error message to make sure that no text is clipped.

Thank you

Lara Jones [MS]

Wednesday, August 20, 2008 5:48 PM
  • I tried , but I can not click anywhere in the Connector Troubleshooter, it just runs and give me the result , No server button or publish server add-in.
    I will try to copy it manualy

I tested some more and found that when running chkdsk on c:\fs\D -> volume not formated.
    Also in eventviewer , disk 1 contains block error

It seemed to me there is something wrong with one of my disks , but no warnig in WHS console ??

I ran WHScleanup to see wich files give trouble. It looks bad , verry bad. the .cmd file is 1.8 MB what measn a lot of text lines in there.

I'm now triing to remove the drive from the storage pool but it says can not remove due to file conflicts , how nice.

My last resort is to connect the possibly faulty drive to another PC and look if there is anything salvageble.
    Thursday, August 21, 2008 12:11 PM
  • I got the add-in working by copy pasting the toolbox.msi file in add-ins on the server. I made a bugrepport on connect with the same name as this thread.

thank you for your help
    Thursday, August 21, 2008 1:08 PM
  •  FluoDude wrote:
    I got the add-in working by copy pasting the toolbox.msi file in add-ins on the server. I made a bugrepport on connect with the same name as this thread.

thank you for your help

Thank you for filing the report. I found it in the database and referenced this thread. It's been assigned to a developer.

Lara Jones [MS]

Thursday, August 21, 2008 2:00 PM
  • Haven't been able to follow this topic for a while. FWIW these errors have stopped appearing, for the last 3 weeks my WHS has been rock solid. Must have been something that had to do with the recent upgrade to PP1.

Friday, August 22, 2008 12:10 PM
  • I have a similar problem in my shared folders after the WHS update the other week. Initially I diagnosed it as one of my HDDs failing. Now (after transfer of data to a new drive) I now know this not to be the case.

Error appears as:

File conflicts: "The system cannot find the drive specified."

Despite being able to see and look at the folders and data in all of my other shared drives.

One of them has the above error for a few (6) files. I can't delete them, the server can't fix them, either thru the console or directly on the server. Run a chkdsk which doesn't fix it either. The drive looks OK for a while after bootup but pretty soon the "Network at Risk" Warning pops up.

Exactly the same symptoms as above. It looks from the help page that the system may think these files are open elsewhere....

My workaround is going to be a painful extract of my shared folders (1 TB+) to external drives and then a reformat of the affected Windows server drive. Luckily I have copies of the affected files elsewhere. Otherwise I'd ahve been severely pissed by this.

This is a totally unacceptable error in a product of this type Sad

THIS NEEDS TO BE FIXED AS A MATTER OF URGENCY AS IT RENDERS THE PURPOSE OF WINDOWS SERVER TO ALL INTENTS AND PURPOSES USELESS.

Does anyone know where we are regards a fix?

Last post on this was 10 days ago....

Thanks for any help/guidance.

Saturday, August 30, 2008 7:14 PM
  •  Trispider wrote:

I have a similar problem in my shared folders after the WHS update the other week. Initially I diagnosed it as one of my HDDs failing. Now (after transfer of data to a new drive) I now know this not to be the case.

Error appears as:

File conflicts: "The system cannot find the drive specified."

Despite being able to see and look at the folders and data in all of my other shared drives.

One of them has the above error for a few (6) files. I can't delete them, the server can't fix them, either thru the console or directly on the server. Run a chkdsk which doesn't fix it either. The drive looks OK for a while after bootup but pretty soon the "Network at Risk" Warning pops up.

Exactly the same symptoms as above. It looks from the help page that the system may think these files are open elsewhere....

My workaround is going to be a painful extract of my shared folders (1 TB+) to external drives and then a reformat of the affected Windows server drive. Luckily I have copies of the affected files elsewhere. Otherwise I'd ahve been severely pissed by this.

This is a totally unacceptable error in a product of this type

THIS NEEDS TO BE FIXED AS A MATTER OF URGENCY AS IT RENDERS THE PURPOSE OF WINDOWS SERVER TO ALL INTENTS AND PURPOSES USELESS.

Does anyone know where we are regards a fix?

Last post on this was 10 days ago....

Thanks for any help/guidance.

Do those particular files have any symbols in the name (such as ~)?  Have you tried rebooting the server (to see if it is indeed that those files are locked somehow)?

Saturday, August 30, 2008 9:54 PM
  •  

Server has been rebooted "n" times.

Files have no particular symbols in their names - since my original post the probelm has got worse - now there are literally hundreds of files that I can;t acces - that I have been able to access with no problem for the last 4 months until the latest patch Sad

I'm at a complete loss as to how to fix this without a "Format Disk" procedure - very painful Sad

Saturday, August 30, 2008 9:58 PM
  •  Trispider wrote:
    Server has been rebooted "n" times.

Files have no particular symbols in their names - since my original post the probelm has got worse - now there are literally hundreds of files that I can;t acces - that I have been able to access with no problem for the last 4 months until the latest patch

I'm at a complete loss as to how to fix this without a "Format Disk" procedure - very painful

Files don't just disappear on their own.  If you are constantly missing more files, then I believe you have a hardware issue somewhere.  Have you tried running chkdsk /r on each drive in the server?  Are any of your storage drives external USB hard drives?

Saturday, August 30, 2008 10:24 PM
  • Thanks for your post - I ran chkdsk late yeserday and it fixed the problems with the shared drives enough thst I could delete the offending files. It also seemed to "fix" the problems with many of the files.

There is no hardware or disk fault - I've eliminated everything that could be going wrong and it seems "somewhat strange and very suspicious" that this problem appears the day after updating with the latest patch.

As far as I am concerned there is still a major problem somewhere in the patch which affects shared drives under specific circumstances. Until MS fix this I'll be taking extra care. At least now I can back up the entire Wndows Server using the Backup Home Server feature which is the reason I installed the patch anyhow. I'd advise folks to make sure that they use this feature until further notice.

One request for an improvement in the next release would be for Windows Home Server to automatically suggest a chkdsk (/r) option for the offending indexing drive and storage drive in the right cicrumstances after a file conflict is detected. This may save alot of pain for alot of people.

Thanks to all who suggested routes to take for the fix Smile

Sunday, August 31, 2008 1:07 PM
  •  Trispider wrote:
    Thanks for your post - I ran chkdsk late yeserday and it fixed the problems with the shared drives enough thst I could delete the offending files. It also seemed to "fix" the problems with many of the files.

There is no hardware or disk fault - I've eliminated everything that could be going wrong and it seems "somewhat strange and very suspicious" that this problem appears the day after updating with the latest patch.

Considering chkdsk found errors and fixed them (at least for now), I would disagree.  While the patch may have brought the problem to your attention, it sounds to me like it was the hard drive errors that was the problem.

Trispider wrote:
    As far as I am concerned there is still a major problem somewhere in the patch which affects shared drives under specific circumstances. Until MS fix this I'll be taking extra care. At least now I can back up the entire Wndows Server using the Backup Home Server feature which is the reason I installed the patch anyhow. I'd advise folks to make sure that they use this feature until further notice.

One request for an improvement in the next release would be for Windows Home Server to automatically suggest a chkdsk (/r) option for the offending indexing drive and storage drive in the right cicrumstances after a file conflict is detected. This may save alot of pain for alot of people.

Thanks to all who suggested routes to take for the fix

You should check Connect to see if that idea has already been posted.  If it has, you should vote for it.  If it hasn't, you should post it, then link to it from here so other people can vote for it.

Sunday, August 31, 2008 2:26 PM
  • Similar problem here.  It started with file conflict error messages about a week or so after pp1 upgrade.  Finally decided to plug in a monitor and saw "Delayed write failed" message constantly popping up.  Isolated the problem to one 1TB drive but wasn't able to remove it the normal way, and trying to offload the files on that drive eventually failed with i/o error and saw the drive going, "Missing" on the console.  In my case, it was definately a hard drive failing and PP1 was very specific about it.  Anyway, I ended up physically disconnecting the drive and then removing it from the pool.  Duplicated data did survive.  As for not duplicated data on that failing drive, I have it in an external enclosure and have been slowly copying files off of it for the past 2 weeks, as it is letting me copy some files off of it before shutting itself off.

Sunday, August 31, 2008 6:23 PM