none
Project Professional 2010 and pwa hangs when opening a linked project from PWA on Project Server 2010

Question

• When I open a linked project in Project Professional 2010 from PWA, Project Professional 2010 hangs with the "Links Between Projects ..." dialog box open.  Unable to move or close the dialog box.  Unable to move or close Project Professional 2010.  The PWA tab on internet explorere is frozen and unable to access although other tabs in IE are accessible.  End up having to reboot to close down project or force the process to end.  I suspect a hidden dialog box is the culprit maybe the scheduling conflict dialog box but am unable to access or switch and cannot confirm that there is another dialog box.

Has anybody else experienced this problem?

Thanks,

Julie

Friday, July 26, 2013 5:18 PM

All replies

• Additional information.   When I force a close on Project Professional I received the following error message.

"You cannot quit Project now.  Wait until the operation is finished before quitting.

Friday, July 26, 2013 5:23 PM
  • I have seen it hang when trying to open a project schedule even with no external links.

Project 2013 Pro, Link to schedule is on a PWA on a Project 2007 server.

If Project 2013 is open before clicking on the link, there is a long delay and the project schedule opens up in the web tab where the link was selected. If Project 2013 is not open, it just hangs and has to be shut down via the task manager.

No idea why. I can create a link to the shared volume and that works OK. But if I actually try to open MS Project by clicking on the link to a .mpp file it never opens in MS Project.

Mike

Friday, July 26, 2013 6:26 PM
  • Mike,

I am connecting with Project Professional 2010 to Project Server 2010.  The file opens with a link from PWA but hangs when it displays the external links dialog box.  What is also interesting is that even when I kill the process the window does not close.  I had two projects open.  When I killed the process the other project which opens with no issues closed but the one that was hung is still there.  Definitely a glitch in Project Pro.

Thanks,

Julie

Tuesday, July 30, 2013 2:09 PM
  • I also get the message that "You cannot quit Project now.  Wait until the operation is finished before quitting now."  This happens when I try to reboot after Project hangs.

Thanks,

Julie

Tuesday, July 30, 2013 2:12 PM
  • I supsect what is happening is that the task scheduling conflict dialog box and the links between dialog box are blocking each other.  Does anybody have any idea how to get the scheduling conflict dialog box to be brought to the front so I can dismiss it?

Thanks,

Julie

Tuesday, July 30, 2013 3:20 PM