none
Table Formatting Lost After Edit

Answers

All replies

• Hi Richard,

I was able to get the border, but it was odd.

I looked to the de-DE's article, and the table data was not the same. (but it permitted me to copy and paste in the en-US's edit html page)

The table header; (the correct's one)

<table style="border-style: solid; border-color: #000000; border-top: 1px solid #000000; border-left: 1px solid #000000;">

And I changed some TD header to that (the correct's one)

<td style="border-style: solid; border-color: #000000; color: #ffffff; border-right: 1px solid #000000; border-bottom: 1px solid #000000; background-color: #37638f;"> (for Activities in exemple that one)

But I just did the first TR, and that seemed to corrected the whole table, so my guess it's the table line the faulty's one there.

Why the editor messed with it is another question, but I know they try to correct the table bug, maybe a collateral's bug.

Thanks

MCP | MCTS 70-236: Exchange Server 2007, Configuring

Twitter - @yagmoth555 ()
    Blog: http://www.jabea.net | http://blogs.technet.com/b/wikininjas/

Monday, February 25, 2013 4:29 AM
  • I tried again to edit the same Wiki article, but his time I only modified some text. I did not touch any of the tables. Before my edit the first table looked like this:

This is what it looks like after the edit (the only change I made was to the sentence before this table, as shown below):

Before my edit I copied the HTML to a text file so I could compare. I find no difference at all in the HTML for this table. It looks exactly the same to me. The first row of this table in the HTML editor looks like below:

'

<table style="border: 1px solid rgb(0, 0, 0);">
        <tbody>
            <tr>
            </tr>
            <tr>
                <td style="border: 1px solid rgb(0, 0, 0); color: rgb(255, 255, 255); background-color: rgb(55, 99, 143);"><strong>Activity</strong></td>
                <td style="border: 1px solid rgb(0, 0, 0); background-color: rgb(151, 72, 6);"><strong>Bronze</strong></td>
                <td style="border: 1px solid rgb(0, 0, 0); background-color: rgb(191, 191, 191);"><strong>Silver</strong></td>
                <td style="border: 1px solid rgb(0, 0, 0); background-color: rgb(255, 192, 0);"><strong>Gold </strong>
                        </td>
                <td style="border: 1px solid rgb(0, 0, 0);"><strong>Comments</strong> </td>
            </tr>

For now I reverted my updates until I figure this out.

Richard Mueller - MVP Directory Services

Monday, February 25, 2013 9:10 PM
  • Hi Richard,

This

Must be

To work out.

The editor seem to want to save HTML's code IMO, thus it cut off some option. Do you use the in-build table editor ?

MCP | MCTS 70-236: Exchange Server 2007, Configuring

Twitter - @yagmoth555 ()
    Blog: http://www.jabea.net | http://blogs.technet.com/b/wikininjas/

• Edited by Yagmoth555MVP Monday, February 25, 2013 10:02 PM error while pasting the code, the line got stripped
    Monday, February 25, 2013 9:37 PM
  • I'm used to using the HTML editor, but on my first try I used the regular editor and just removed some text from two of the cells. I was not adding rows or otherwise modifying the table, so I just deleted the text. That didn't work. All of the tables lost all formatting (color and borders). After that I tried only in the HTML editor, but with the same result. Then I just changed some text, without touching any of the tables, but all of the tables still lost all formatting.

I just tried your suggesting, changing the <table style> tag as you suggested. All of the tables got formatted as below:

I think you are correct, that the editor no longer recognizes some of the old syntax, in particular the "border: 1px solid rgb(0, 0, 0)". The solution might be to modify all <table style> and <td style> tags. I may try again later. I also notice the Italian version is messed up. The German version is closer, but not exactly the same as the English.

Monday, February 25, 2013 11:52 PM
  • I modified every <table style> and <td style> tag, but the result was no color and inconsistent borders. I reverted, then only added a tag, but still this resulted in no color and no borders for the tables. I have reverted back to the version before I started. The table editor now has major bugs.

Tuesday, February 26, 2013 3:27 AM
  • I just modified another Wiki article with a table. This time I used the normal editor (not HTML) to make a few of the cells have a light blue background. This shows up fine in the editor, but when I click Submit, it does not show in the table. I can see the new <span style> tag in the HTML, but it never renders in the browser.

Tuesday, February 26, 2013 11:32 PM
  • Markus was having this issue too.

I can submit this as a bug request and see if they have it captured yet.

Also, can you add it as a feature/fix request here:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/4703.feature-requests-for-technet-and-msdn-profiles-and-social-platform-tools.aspx#TechNet_Wiki

Thanks!

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Answer an interesting question? Create a wiki article about it!

Wednesday, April 03, 2013 10:39 PM
    Owner
  • Okay, I submitted it as a bug request.

Thanks!

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Wednesday, April 03, 2013 10:41 PM
    Owner
  • Okay. The Wiki team wants this written with repro steps. Can someone write it up with repro steps?

Like... step 1... paste this HTML into the HTML tab of a Wiki article...

Thanks!

Wednesday, April 03, 2013 10:59 PM
    Owner
  • I will update the Wiki article to request the fix.

Update: Markus Vilcinskas recently came up with a workaround for code color that seems to work for tables as well in this thread:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/tnwiki/thread/f11f4f79-cbd3-4649-9a3c-a9736b99ac9e

He suggests replacing "color: rgb(255, 0, 0)" with "color: red" in the style in the HTML. I assume the same would apply for the hex format, "#FF0000". I've been busy today updating some of my Wiki articles with tables to take advantage of this. The problem is knowing what color corresponds to which set of numbers, but the following site helped me a lot:

http://www.w3schools.com/html/html_colornames.asp

I am pleased with my results today. Still, this requires a lot of messing around in the HTML, which most people don't like. After I catch my breath I will tackle the article I linked above. Rich Prescott spent a lot of time making it pretty, but I want to make two corrections without losing all the color (two of the Profile achievements that we thought were no longer available have been recently awarded).

Wednesday, April 03, 2013 11:09 PM
  • This may be difficult to reproduce this bug from scratch. Here is HTML from the article I linked above that creates a short table with color:

<p>This is a test, this is only a test.</p>
        <tbody>
            <tr>
                <td style="border: 1px solid rgb(0, 0, 0); color: rgb(255, 255, 255); background-color: rgb(55, 99, 143);"><strong>Activity</strong></td>
                <td style="border: 1px solid rgb(0, 0, 0); background-color: rgb(151, 72, 6);"><strong>Bronze</strong></td>
                <td style="border: 1px solid rgb(0, 0, 0); background-color: rgb(191, 191, 191);"><strong>Silver</strong></td>
                <td style="border: 1px solid rgb(0, 0, 0); background-color: rgb(255, 192, 0);"><strong>Gold </strong>
                        </td>
                <td style="border: 1px solid rgb(0, 0, 0);"><strong>Comments</strong> </td>
            </tr>
            <tr>
                <td style="border: 1px solid rgb(0, 0, 0); color: rgb(255, 255, 255); background-color: rgb(55, 99, 143);"><strong><span style="font-size: 12px;">Writer</span></strong></td>
                <td style="border: 1px solid rgb(0, 0, 0);"><span style="font-size: 12px;">New Blogger</span></td>
                <td style="border: 1px solid rgb(0, 0, 0);"><span style="font-size: 12px;">Blogger II<br>
                        Blog Conversation Starter</span></td>
                <td style="border: 1px solid rgb(0, 0, 0);"><span style="font-size: 12px;">Blogger III<br>
                        Blogs All-Star<br>
                        Blog Party Starter</span></td>
                <td style="border: 1px solid rgb(0, 0, 0);"><span style="font-size: 12px;">(Microsoft employees only)</span></td>
            </tr>
        </tbody>
    </table>

The problem is that this will look as it should in the Wiki editor, but once you click Submit, all the color will probably disappear. My problem is that the article was last saved months ago (except for my reverts), so it still appears at it should, with gold, silver, and bronze colors. If I now edit anything in the article, such as the short sentence I added at the start of the HTML I pasted above that is not even in the table, the process of submitting the update removes the color. If you check, the HTML has not changed.

In other words, the process that happens when a Wiki article update is submitted has changed. Months ago the html above resulted in a table with color. Now it probably does not. To see this, make any change anywhere in this article:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/4491.technet-profile-achievements.aspx

No matter what change you make, even to text outside of any table, all of the tables will lose all colors. You will need to revert your change.

It will take me awhile before I can edit the article I linked to replace all rgb() in the html with the correct colors. I'll wait awhile before I do this.

Thursday, April 04, 2013 12:34 AM
  • FYI

Here are the symptoms and reproduction / fixing

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/16768.wiki-troubleshooting-color-issues-in-your-wiki-articles.aspx

Reproduction: save and reopen an article that uses rgb color codes.

Fix, as stated by Markus, use color names.

Kind regards,
    Peter

Peter Geelen (Microsoft Belgium) - Premier Field Engineer Security & Identity

[If a post helps to resolve your issue, please click the Answered "Mark as Answer" of that post or click Answered "Vote as helpful" button of that post.
    By marking a post as Answered or Helpful, you help others find the answer faster.

Thursday, April 04, 2013 4:20 PM
    Owner
  • I updated Rich Prescott's article "TechNet Profile Achievements". In the HTML I replaced all rgb() values with color names. The global find and replace made it easy once I decided on colors. I couldn't match the colors exactly, there are over 16 million possible rgb values and only about 147 color names. But I think I got close enough.

Friday, April 05, 2013 12:30 AM
  • Since I determined the workaround discussed here, every time I modify a Wiki article, I check if colors have been lost. Often they are lost, and I fix the article by replacing all RGB values in the HTML with the closest color name I can find.

Today, yottun8 modified the article that I originally had problems with above:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/4491.technet-profile-achievements.aspx

He added a new table for Translation Wiki achievements. Great. Exactly what we want. But I noticed that some colors are now specified by RGB values, not just in the new table, but all of them. I've never used the table editor, but my theory is that yottun8 did. If he sees this thread, maybe he can confirm. Because otherwise I don't know how he managed to update the article with RGB values that work.

My theory is that you can update an article using the table editor and all will look good to you. However, if later someone else updates the article without using the table editor, perhaps to add or modify text outside of any table, the colors will disappear. I have seen this many times in other articles. In this case, I just updated the second sentence in the article (outside of any table). I changed the 70 in this sentence "There are currently a total of 70 known achievements" to 74 (to reflect the new table). Now all the colors specified by RGB values are gone. The colors that remain are specified by standard color names.

This means my efforts to "fix" the article only worked until someone used the Table editor (which I'm not familar with). There are 2 ways you can see what the article looked like before my minor edit. You can use the History tab to compare the current version with Revision #82, then view Revision #82. You will see all of the colors. Or, you can edit the current version and the Wiki Editor will show all of the colors (then "Cancel").

I can either "Revert" to restore Revision #82, or I can again replace the RGB values in the HTML with standard color names. However, the workaround is apparently only good until someone updates with the Table editor (if my theory is correct), or until this bug is fixed.

I will leave the article alone for now, but when I fix it, the workaround will be to edit the article in the HTML editor as follows (using global find and replace):

• Replace rgb(149, 179, 215) with lightSteelBlue
    • Replace rgb(255, 215, 0) with gold
    • Replace rgb(198, 217, 240) with powderBlue

By the way, the critical date for this issue (bug) is February 22, 2013 (I believe). Articles modified before that date are fine, but any modified since may have their colors lost.

Thursday, May 09, 2013 5:16 PM
  • But I noticed that some colors are now specified by RGB values, not just in the new table, but all of them. I've never used the table editor, but my theory is that yottun8 did. If he sees this thread, maybe he can confirm. Because otherwise I don't know how he managed to update the article with RGB values that work.

Hi, Richard.

OK, I explain "How I updated this article".

When I create/update every article, I don't use the WYSIWYG mode. Table Editor too. (excluding Picture Upload.)  I use HTML Editor mode to edit an article everytime, because I don't want to add any unnecessary or unexpected tags in the article. In case of Revision#82, I copied "Blogs" achievement table, then I rewrote strings of that table. It's both HTML mode. I edited some strings, but I didn't edit any HTML tags.

Thanks.

Friday, May 10, 2013 4:02 AM
  • Hi Tomoaki,

Thanks for the explanation. That is exactly how I work, in the HTML editor. I guess I cannot explain how the RGB values got in the article. They must have been there when you started, but then I cannot explain why the colors showed up before I changed "70" to "74".

Friday, May 10, 2013 11:54 AM
  • UPDATE: Bug 1122196 was logged to track this.

Thanks!

Saturday, May 18, 2013 1:14 AM
    Owner
  • I updated this article today, background-color is back.

I used "Chrome 26.0" on Windows 7 with SP1.

Thursday, May 23, 2013 4:26 PM
  • The article looks great yottun. The colors look correct. However, the HTML is now full of RGB values. I'm sure if I touch it all colors will be lost. I'm using IE9 on Windows 7 with SP1. That must be the difference, unless it's geography. The code that runs when we Submit edits must be different for you than it is for me. Some code runs that converts the HTML you see into the published page.

Thursday, May 23, 2013 9:15 PM