none
Losing internet and all network connectivity - SBS2011

Question

• Our old server died, so I'm replacing it with a new machine running SBS 2011 Standard. We have DSL through AT&T with a Netopia modem. The modem is making the PPPoE connection and forwarding everything to my router. The static IP on the modem is 65.15.138.9.

I tried using our old Sonicwall SOHO3, but the 50 connection limit proved to be too little and it was dropping connections. I have a Cisco ASA 5505 coming soon, but in the meantime, I'm trying to use a simple Netgear router and I've also tried a Linksys. The router was set to: WAN: 65.15.138.10, DNS entries from AT&T, and Gateway of 65.15.138.9, LAN: 192.168.168.168.

Everything works great for about two hours, then no more internet, all computers have little yellow triangle in the connection icon by the clock and they can no longer access anything on the network.

After turning the router off and back on again, it works for a little while, then quits again. Last time I cycled the power it didn't work, so I rebooted the server as well and it started working again.

Under Server Management, DNS has no red or yellow indicators, nothing to speak of in any of the event log entries. If I run the Fix My Network wizard, it comes back telling me it couldn't find the router, couldn't connect to the internet and couldn't connect to Exchange.

Most of the day today we had the Linksys router in place and unplugging/plugging the power would make everything work again. But it seems each time we did that, the sooner we would have to do it again.

I've checked all I know to check and I'm about to pull out my last two hairs. I don't know who to call locally to come look at our system and last time we did that, we got an idiot that knew less than me.

Tuesday, October 04, 2011 4:19 AM

Answers

• What is the level of base os?Is it sp 1[u can check that from start->run->winver]

Can you install follow hotfix,reboot and check:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/980663

It is known to call all sorts of networking issues in 2008 r2

Also when this happens can you try "arp -d" from a command prompt to check if it makes a difference.
    • Edited by Jkazama Tuesday, October 04, 2011 11:54 AM
    • Marked as answer by Rick TanModerator Thursday, October 20, 2011 8:16 AM
    Tuesday, October 04, 2011 11:49 AM

All replies

• When this happens is the PPPoE connection still up ?

Tuesday, October 04, 2011 8:37 AM
  • Sounds to me like the Netgear has DHCP enabled and it's causing your SBS DHCP service to stop. Many routers will keep DHCP running, but if SBS sees another DHCP server it'll stop (or at least, deauthorise).

Jim

Tuesday, October 04, 2011 10:45 AM
  • Yes, PPPoE connection is always up. I never have to reset the DSL modem.

DHCP is disabled on the routers. UPnP is enabled only on the Netgear router and sometimes when I check, the port settings are gone, so I manually entered them. If DHCP was enabled on the routers, I think Windows would've said so when I ran the "Connect to the Internet" wizard.

Tuesday, October 04, 2011 10:54 AM
  • What if you bypass the router and use Modem to connect to the SBS Server.

You'll need a second NIC but that'll help you narrow down.

Tuesday, October 04, 2011 11:17 AM
  • I know it would only be for troubleshooting, but I'd hate to not have a firewall for even a couple hours (or longer) waiting for it to drop connection again.
    Tuesday, October 04, 2011 11:37 AM
  • Well then get a machine to point to an external DNS source, eliminating SBS from the picture.

If it drops connection on that machine, talk to Router people.

Tuesday, October 04, 2011 11:48 AM
  • What is the level of base os?Is it sp 1[u can check that from start->run->winver]

Can you install follow hotfix,reboot and check:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/980663

It is known to call all sorts of networking issues in 2008 r2

Also when this happens can you try "arp -d" from a command prompt to check if it makes a difference.
    • Edited by Jkazama Tuesday, October 04, 2011 11:54 AM
    • Marked as answer by Rick TanModerator Thursday, October 20, 2011 8:16 AM
    Tuesday, October 04, 2011 11:49 AM
  • Well then get a machine to point to an external DNS source, eliminating SBS from the picture.

If it drops connection on that machine, talk to Router people.

I tried using Google's DNS addresses on my office computer and it still does the same thing.
    Tuesday, October 04, 2011 2:42 PM
  • I'm not sure what came on the installation DVD, but I haven't run any updates yet on the SBS 2011 machine.

I'm not receiving the stop message described in the KB (or any messages for that matter). Event viewer is only showing informational messages in the System logs.

Tuesday, October 04, 2011 2:45 PM
  • I would still install that hotfix as rdbss.sys it causes all sort's of networking issues on 2008 r2.

Alternatively you can apply 2008 r2 sp1  [if its not there already].....it includes that hotifx and many other updates....in that case we would know  server is fully patched.Again you can check service pack level from start->run->winver ....check if it saps sp1 or not.

Also did you try arp -d ? Its to delete the arp cache.

Also if you eliminated SBS from the picture by pointing it to Google's DNS.....its most likely router and not the server.
    • Edited by Jkazama Tuesday, October 04, 2011 2:55 PM
    Tuesday, October 04, 2011 2:53 PM
  • I get in to the office around 4:00pm. I will install all updates. I believe new firewall should be here today as well. So, I'll let you know how it goes.
    Tuesday, October 04, 2011 3:16 PM
  • One more question...

Looking at the documentation for our DSL modem, I can either set it up to use "PPPoE with a Routed Subnet" (which is what I'm using now--modem makes the connection with username and password and forwards everything to my router) or I can put in Bridge Mode. I couldn't configure the Sonicwall to have a static WAN IP address if I set it to use PPPoE. That's why I went with the routed subnet option.

Which is better to use? Is the throughput faster in bridge mode? Can I set a static IP in the Cisco if I set it to use PPPoE?

Tuesday, October 04, 2011 5:30 PM