none
Cannot access share location of Windows 2012

Question

• Hi everyone,

I got a very strange case that is real in my company.

My company has 2 offices that connecting through MPLS WAN link. I found very strange issue.

All Windows 2008 R2 server in an office CAN access shared folders of All windows 2008 R2/2012 R2 in another office.

But all windows 2012 R2 server in an office CANNOT access shared folders of All windows 2012 R2 in another office.

All server are in the same domain. I created shared with full control for Everyone.

I am crazy at this so many day and cannot find solution. So strange. Anyone can help me on this?

Thanks a lot!

Le Nhut Minh PwC Vietname Limited.

• Edited by nhutminh008 Saturday, March 08, 2014 6:57 AM
    Saturday, March 08, 2014 6:49 AM

Answers

• Hi All,

My issue has been resolved, Customer is using riverbad WAN optimization device between there MPLS network and after excluding the Windows 2012 R2 Servers in riverbad device we are able to connect to admin$ share.

riverbad is not suporting Windows 2012 and Windows 2012 R2 server SMB protocol architecture

Thanks,

Manzoor

Thursday, March 27, 2014 11:31 AM

All replies

• Check your windows firewall settings, are they identical on both servers? Are the ntfs -level permissions on the shared folder correctly set? You need to define SHARE and NTFS permissions.

Saturday, March 08, 2014 7:18 AM
  • - All server do not enable Windows Firewall

- The account I use is domain admin

- If server is Win 2008, it can access anywhere without any problem. Only Win 2012 got problem

Any thing else I have to check friend?

Monday, March 10, 2014 2:11 AM
  • have you checked the folder security settings?

What is the settings for the  security rights of authenticated users? 

Every second counts..make use of it. Disclaimer: This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

Monday, March 10, 2014 3:43 AM
  • HI cguan,

- I use domain admin account to try

- From Windows 2008 R2 server, I can access \\server of Windows 2012 R2 server in another office

- From Windows 2012 R2 server, I cannot access \\server of Windows 2012 R2 server in another office

It is very weird...

Monday, March 10, 2014 3:55 AM
  • From Windows 2012 R2 to another Windows 2012 R2

if you do a: net use x: \\Windows_2012_R2_shared_folder_of_another_server

Is there any specific errors?

On the shared folder of the other server you're trying to connect to:

From the command prompt, please type:

c:\cacls Shared_Folder_name

Please post back the result.

Every second counts..make use of it. Disclaimer: This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

• Edited by cguan Monday, March 10, 2014 4:25 AM edit
    Monday, March 10, 2014 4:23 AM
  • On Windows server 2012 R2 server A in office A, I tried to connect to Windows server 2012 R2 server B in office B

I got the error Access is denied.

On Windows server 2012 R2 server B in office B, I run the command and got the result.

Monday, March 10, 2014 4:55 AM
  • hi nhutminh008, i'm not sure why cacls is not working for you.

maybe you can try icacls.

But anyway the error is access is denied, so most probably is the security rights issue.

Please check the folder security settings, whether the user trying to access the other server has the rights to access the shared folder on that server.

Even if you login as domain admin, if the folder security settings is just set to local rights on the local server then you will not be able to access.

Please check if  "Authenticated Users" is on the folder security settings and also the "Domain Administrator" has the rights to access the shared folder.

Or just to rule out the issue, add the "Authenticated Users"  and select also "Everyone" give it a full access.

And try again, if it works then you need to fine tune the security rights.

right click on the shared folder, click on the "Security Tab" and check the settings or add the necessary permissions. 

Good luck!!!

• Edited by cguan Monday, March 10, 2014 5:43 AM edit
    Monday, March 10, 2014 5:36 AM
  • Hi cguan,

both domain admins and autheticated users have full control right on Windows server 2012 R2 server B in office B.

but Windows server 2012 R2 server in office A cannot Windows server 2012 R2 server in office B...

But....Windows server 2008 R2 server in office A can Windows server 2012 R2 server in office B...

Monday, March 10, 2014 6:32 AM
  • I checked my Win2012 box.

Please check if you have this settings below on the LanManServer, DependOnService reg key.

If it is SamSS Srv, if the value is different backup the registry key first before changing it to SamSS Srv,

And check if it will help.

Monday, March 10, 2014 9:35 AM
  • Hi,

Based on your description, can you ping both IP address and server name of the server 2012R2 in Office B from the server 2012R2 in Office A?

Regarding how to troubleshoot shared folder access issues, the following article can be referred to for more information.

Troubleshooting Shared Folders

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc733154.aspx

Best regards,
    Frank Shen

Thursday, March 13, 2014 6:54 AM
  • I checked already. it is like your value. But it still cannot access >.<

Thursday, March 13, 2014 7:39 AM
  • Hello Frank,

I can ping both IP addresses and server names.

Do you have any idea bro?

Thursday, March 13, 2014 7:40 AM
  • The problem exists in one or both direction.

What I mean both windows 2012 servers cannot access each other shared folder?

Thursday, March 13, 2014 8:56 AM
  • Hi cguan,

Prolem exists in both direction.

only Win 2012 cannot access each other share folders. Win 2008 can access successfully.

Share/NTFS security is the same

Friday, March 14, 2014 4:01 AM
  • please download this tools from SysInternal, AccessChk

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb664922

Extract the file and type this command below, please post back the result.

accesschk "VN\admin minh" "path to your shared folder"
    accesschk "VN\Domain Admins" "path to your shared folder"
    accesschk "NT Authority\System" "path to your shared folder"

accesschk -LI "Path to your shared folder"

• Edited by cguan Friday, March 14, 2014 7:32 AM ediy
    Friday, March 14, 2014 7:22 AM
  • Hi,

In addition to cguan’s troubleshooting advice, what was the specific error message when we accessed the share? Besides, we can go to Event Viewer to see whether some related error events were logged?
    From your previous replies, we had the error “System error 67 has occurred”. We can try updating our network adapter driver to see whether it can help.

Regarding this error information, the following article and thread can be referred to as reference.

You receive a "System error 67 has occurred. The network name cannot be found" error message in Windows Server 2003

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/843156

NET USE error: "System error 67 has occured. The network name cannot be found."

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_xp-networking/net-use-error-system-error-67-has-occured-the/64986bcc-fddf-4f3e-9dd2-90aced3fe417

Hope it help.

Best regards,

Frank

Monday, March 17, 2014 9:09 AM
  • Hi,

Is there any update with the issue? Please keep us posted.

Best regards,

Frank Shen

Wednesday, March 19, 2014 2:41 AM
  • Hi All,

I am also facing the same issue for one of my client

They are having 2 offices with the MPLS WAN link connectivity

All Windows 2008 R2 server in an office-X CAN access admin$ share of All windows 2008 R2/2012 R2 in MPLS connected office-Z.

But all windows 2012 R2 server in an office-X CANNOT access admin$ share of All Windows 2012 and windows 2012 R2 in another office-Z also I have checked vice versa.

getting below error

\\192.168.100.10\admin$

The specified network name is no longer available

All Servers are in same domain and there is no hardening

Thanks,

Friday, March 21, 2014 4:00 PM
  • Hi Manzoor

Make sure Network Discovery is enabled on the new server.
    Make sure the new server is pointing to the DNS \DC local box for DNS resolution.
    Make sure that the Windows Firewall service is running. It’s ok if it’s disabled in the Firewall Control Panel, but it should be running in the services tool.

I did some research and found that on Windows 2012 R2, the SMB 1.0 protocol features were not enabled by default. You have to go into Features and enable SMB 1.0 networking. Once you do that, the Computer Browser service shows up, enable it and start in auto mode

In short enable computer browser service and check if it resolves your issue

To enable SMB 1.0 feature on 2012 R2 box run below commands in elevated PowerShell and then reboot server once. Then check if Computer browser is showing in services panel, enable it and start in auto mode

Set-SmbServerConfiguration -EnableSMB1Protocol $true

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2696547/en-us

Mahesh

• Edited by Mahesh_TS Friday, March 21, 2014 6:19 PM
    Friday, March 21, 2014 6:17 PM
  • Hi All,

I am also facing the same issue for one of my client

They are having 2 offices with the MPLS WAN link connectivity

All Windows 2008 R2 server in an office-X CAN access admin$ share of All windows 2008 R2/2012 R2 in MPLS connected office-Z.

But all windows 2012 R2 server in an office-X CANNOT access admin$ share of All Windows 2012 and windows 2012 R2 in another office-Z also I have checked vice versa.

getting below error

\\192.168.100.10\admin$

The specified network name is no longer available

All Servers are in same domain and there is no hardening

Thanks,

Please start a new thread..

it's confusing..

Saturday, March 22, 2014 3:22 AM
  • Hi All,

My issue has been resolved, Customer is using riverbad WAN optimization device between there MPLS network and after excluding the Windows 2012 R2 Servers in riverbad device we are able to connect to admin$ share.

riverbad is not suporting Windows 2012 and Windows 2012 R2 server SMB protocol architecture

Thanks,

Manzoor

Thursday, March 27, 2014 11:31 AM
  • Hi Manzoor,

Yes, my company is using Riverbed to optimize WAN. SO what should I do if RIverbed does not support Windows 2012 R2...?

Thanks!

Tuesday, April 01, 2014 6:57 AM
  • Hi,

In that case you have to take a support from Riverbed support team to check if they have released any new firmware to support Windows 2012 SMB.

Thanks,

Manzoor

Tuesday, April 01, 2014 7:22 AM
  • Hi Manzoor,

Thanks a lot! Have a nice day ^_^

Regards,

Tuesday, April 01, 2014 8:27 AM