none
Windows Defender Service Error

Question

• Just yesterday, the Windows Defender service stopped starting. Upon starting the comp, I get the 0x800106ba error, telling me that a problem has caused the service to stop. This happens whenever I try to run MCASCui.exe as well. When I try to start the service manually, it gives me error 1053, telling me that the service did not respond to the start or control request.

My computer was infected with a virus, and since Windows Defender no longer works, I have about 15 trojans on the computer now. Many of which I have manually deleted. Since Windows Defender service doesn't start, I'm pretty much screwed, since these trojans keep downloading other trojans.

I am running Windows XP Home edition, and the version of Windows Defender is not the Beta version. It is the latest version. However, I have tried uninstalling the program and then re-installing it, but during the installation, it won't finish the install because it cannot start the service to complete the installation.

If anyone can give me a straight solution to this, I would be extremely pleased. I've spent the past 24 hours searching every website on google, but nothing helps.

Sunday, March 16, 2008 5:34 AM

All replies

•  xMercury wrote:
    If anyone can give me a straight solution to this, I would be extremely pleased. I've spent the past 24 hours searching every website on google, but nothing helps.

xMercury,

Please download the following Free Anti-Virus software (free for personal/home usage), and do a complete scans of the infected machine hard drives.

1) AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition (click here)

2) avast! 4 Home Edition (click here)

3) Avira AntiVir Personal (click here)

There is an article to reinstall Windows Defender at Microsoft website below.

1) http://support.microsoft.com/kb/931849

Note: If you ran into problem/issue installing the above Free Anti-Virus scanners, visit the following websites to scan online. Normally requires you to accept and download ActiveX control within Internet Explorer.

1) Symantec Security Check (click here)

2) McAfee Virus Scan Online (click here)

3) TrendMicro HouseCall (click here)

4) GFI online Trojan Scanner (click here)

5) Panda Active Scan (click here)

Regards,

Thomas

Wednesday, March 19, 2008 7:43 PM