none
Where is everyone going after Windows Media Services 2008 R2?

Question

• We're moving our server infrastructure to Server 2012 R2 and one of the last systems to work on is our 2008 R2 Media Services box. Server 2012 R2 doesn't really have an Enterprise solution from what I can see. I've tried installing the Server Essentials Role on a 2012 R2 box but I don't want all the extra bells and whistles that it installs with it.

We using our media server to make .wmv training files available for our staff and they average 500-700 MB each. Wondering what anyone else out there is doing.

Orange County District Attorney

Friday, January 10, 2014 5:33 PM

All replies

• An update on my post. I just ran across some articles on IIS Media Services 4.1 that look like it will do the trick for us. It appears to be installable on Server 2012 R2 as well.

Sunday, January 12, 2014 6:02 PM
  • please let me know where that article is and what your solution is (when you settle on one).  Thanks
    Wednesday, March 05, 2014 2:01 AM
  • We ran across this link that got us started.

http://www.iis.net/media

Wednesday, March 05, 2014 3:09 PM
  • Thee major global CDN will soon stop supporting WM in 1 to 2 years time. We are currently planning now for this. We are currently planning our move over to Adobes AMS Server utilizing RMTFP protocol.

If I am correct Smooth streaming still requires a MS codec (WMA) for its audio track, this in my eyes will be the final nail in the coffin for WM.

Thursday, March 06, 2014 8:56 PM
  • I mostly use Adobe Flash for WAN work, as it is so cross-platform.  I have an arrangement with Netbroadcasting.tv to provide my hosting.  

Windows Media is fine on a LAN especially when IT doesn't want you adding software or crossing onto the WAN (or/and with multicasting).  But getting answers out of MS is lke pulling teeth.

For a lot of my LAN work, I found WME9 and media server 2003 to work fine.

Thanks

Thursday, March 06, 2014 9:09 PM