none
Needed patches are not downloaded/installed

Question

• Hi,

When troubleshooting a problem with wsus that is not installing 2 patches on one machine i saw that the softwaredistribution.log had a time stamp of 9:00AM and the last line in the log was from 7:00AM the last sync had been done at 9:00AM.

how can it be that there is a 2 hour difference in the log? and can it be that this has to do with the issue of not downloading the patches?

checked the local time of the wsus server, this is ok.

on the client computer the wuauserv service has been restarted and the command line commands wuauclt /detectnow and /r /detectnow have been used to check for new patches/report the current status.

Barber

wsus version: 3.2.7600.226
    os version: 2008R2 SP1

Friday, July 18, 2014 7:50 AM

Answers

• how can it be that there is a 2 hour difference in the log?

Because synchronization is synchronization, and file downloading is a completely separate process performed by a completely different service.

and can it be that this has to do with the issue of not downloading the patches?

Hard to say. If updates are not being downloaded to the WSUS server, that's certainly a question of concern. Look for EventID 364s in the Application Event Log of the WSUS server.

If updates are not being downloaded to the *clients*.... maybe those updates are not needed?

• Which two updates are of interest here?
    • Are those two updates approved for the correct group(s)?
    • Do the updates show as "Files are downloaded" in the WSUS console?
    • Do the updates show as NEEDED for the client(s) in question?
    • Are the updates superseded?

Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCSA, MCITP:EA, MCDBA
    SolarWinds Head Geek
    Microsoft MVP - Software Packaging, Deployment & Servicing (2005-2014)
    My MVP Profile: http://mvp.microsoft.com/en-us/mvp/Lawrence%20R%20Garvin-32101
    http://www.solarwinds.com/gotmicrosoft
    The views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of SolarWinds.

Monday, July 21, 2014 2:15 AM