none
Dell PNP drivers for Server 2008R2 image

Question

• Anyone using MDT to deploy Server 2008 R2 image on Dell 12th Gen Servers using MDT?

If yes, can you please share how are you getting the PNP drivers imported in MDT?

If I know correctly, Dell packages MDT friendly driver package in cab file only for laptops and desktops and not for the servers.

Appreciate for the response!

Regards,

Sam 

D_Sam

Friday, February 01, 2013 9:20 PM

Answers

• Sameer,

We Demo'ed the 12G Hardware (M620, R720) and had some issues initially getting this configured correctly.  Heres what I've done to get things working.

Find your NIC on Dell's support website.  Import it into your folder structure in OOB Drivers.  Mine is as follows:

Windows Server 2008 R2\PowerEdge M620\

• NIC
    • Storage

I also imported the H710 controller driver.  These are the only two drivers.  I have this in both an x86 and x64 WinPE OOB driver folder as I only use the x86 boot WIM to make things easier.

Then, during my Task Sequence,  I have three applications that are Dell specific - Install - Dell OpenManage and Install - Dell Driver Pack 2008 R2 and Install - Dell 12G Chipset.

Install - Dell OpenManage does as it sounds.

My Install - Dell Driver Pack VBscript wrapper pulls information from WMI to get the computer type (or you can use the built-in variables which I didn't use, not sure why).  This checks to Model and will install a specific file if is an M620 or R720.

'// Set driver install files.
    	If strComputer = "PowerEdge M620" Then
    		sFile = oUtility.ScriptDir & "\source\M620_Drivers-for-OS-Deployment_Application_8K2F4_WN32_7.0.0.42_A00.EXE"
    	ElseIf strComputer = "PowerEdge R720" Then
    		sFile = oUtility.ScriptDir & "\source\Drivers-for-OS-Deployment_Application_6C9HT_WN32_7.0.0.47_A00.EXE"
    	Else
    		sFile = oUtility.ScriptDir & "\source\OSDRIVERSET_w2008r2_64_6.5_3461.exe"
    	End If

I pulled the Drivers for OS Deployment from the following location:

Support.dell.com -> Select Server Model -> Select Drivers

Verify your OS (2008 R2) is selected

Scroll down to Drivers for OS Deployment.

Download the Windows version.

Dell does not offer the CAB file pack for Servers.  We SysAdmins are left to fend for ourselves.  Let me know if this makes sense.  I haven't updated my script lately with the latest drivers as we have not been deploying many 12G servers.

• Marked as answer by D_Sam Thursday, March 07, 2013 9:47 PM
    Saturday, February 02, 2013 6:12 AM

All replies

• Some have "OS Driver Packs" (R710: http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/DriverDetails/Product/poweredge-r710?driverId=4YJTY&osCode=WNET&fileId=3099675296) that you can get to by drilling for server drivers (base page here), but they run as EXEs and stand-alone installations of drivers.

Also, I haven't tried it and it's more for SCCM, but have you ever looked at Dell Server Deployment Pack for SCCM?  It may offer ways to get the "driver packs".
     - http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/software/smddp/2_0/en/index.htm
     - http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/04/driverdetails?driverid=85vwm
     - http://en.community.dell.com/techcenter/os-applications/w/wiki/2550.dell-server-deployment-pack-dsdp-for-configuration-manager.aspx

But no, I've never directly seen a CAB file like for the Dell Workstations (and I've looked, too). =/  Maybe someone else has...

David Coulter | http://DCtheGeek.blogspot.com | @DCtheGeek

Friday, February 01, 2013 11:30 PM
    Answerer
  • Thanks David,

I will give a try for the SCCM method. But from the file size, it does not give me the feel that it has all the drivers. Below document although talks about extracting drivers from Dell Systems Management Tools and Documentation" DVD but this is no longer available..

http://en.community.dell.com/techcenter/systems-management/w/wiki/1958.aspx

In either case, I pinged Dell and will post here what I find, which might help other looking for something similar!

Thank you for your help!

Sameer

D_Sam

Saturday, February 02, 2013 12:19 AM
  • Sameer,

We Demo'ed the 12G Hardware (M620, R720) and had some issues initially getting this configured correctly.  Heres what I've done to get things working.

Find your NIC on Dell's support website.  Import it into your folder structure in OOB Drivers.  Mine is as follows:

Windows Server 2008 R2\PowerEdge M620\

• NIC
    • Storage

I also imported the H710 controller driver.  These are the only two drivers.  I have this in both an x86 and x64 WinPE OOB driver folder as I only use the x86 boot WIM to make things easier.

Then, during my Task Sequence,  I have three applications that are Dell specific - Install - Dell OpenManage and Install - Dell Driver Pack 2008 R2 and Install - Dell 12G Chipset.

Install - Dell OpenManage does as it sounds.

My Install - Dell Driver Pack VBscript wrapper pulls information from WMI to get the computer type (or you can use the built-in variables which I didn't use, not sure why).  This checks to Model and will install a specific file if is an M620 or R720.

'// Set driver install files.
    	If strComputer = "PowerEdge M620" Then
    		sFile = oUtility.ScriptDir & "\source\M620_Drivers-for-OS-Deployment_Application_8K2F4_WN32_7.0.0.42_A00.EXE"
    	ElseIf strComputer = "PowerEdge R720" Then
    		sFile = oUtility.ScriptDir & "\source\Drivers-for-OS-Deployment_Application_6C9HT_WN32_7.0.0.47_A00.EXE"
    	Else
    		sFile = oUtility.ScriptDir & "\source\OSDRIVERSET_w2008r2_64_6.5_3461.exe"
    	End If

I pulled the Drivers for OS Deployment from the following location:

Support.dell.com -> Select Server Model -> Select Drivers

Verify your OS (2008 R2) is selected

Scroll down to Drivers for OS Deployment.

Download the Windows version.

Dell does not offer the CAB file pack for Servers.  We SysAdmins are left to fend for ourselves.  Let me know if this makes sense.  I haven't updated my script lately with the latest drivers as we have not been deploying many 12G servers.

• Marked as answer by D_Sam Thursday, March 07, 2013 9:47 PM
    Saturday, February 02, 2013 6:12 AM