none
MSDN OS Licensing Question

Question

• Hello, I would like to find out whether I can download an ISO of an operating system from the MSDN subscription site, and activate it using my MAK for production. I specifically want to know whether this will violate any intellectual rights.
    Friday, May 09, 2014 8:52 PM

Answers

• I'd get in touch with the MSDN online concierge.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/subscriptions/cc150618.aspx

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Friday, May 09, 2014 9:36 PM
  • a good forum for MSDN subscription questions is here: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?forum=msdnfeedback

MSDN subscription licensing info is here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/subscriptions/cc150618.aspx

In general, what you are *permitted* to do, and, the technical steps involved for *how* you do it, can be difficult to align.

MSDN Subscriptions are available in two licensing channels: Retail, and Volume Licensing.
    The Retail subscription doesn't offer exactly the same product licensing channels, compared to the VL MSDN Subscription, so, MSDN Retail might not offer the VL channel product you want, which means that MAK (which is a VL key) might not work.
    e.g. Win7Professional, via my VL MSDN, might be a VL channel product which accepts a VL MAK, but yours might only offer Win7Professional as a Retail channel product, which might not accept a VL MAK so you'd need to use your Retail MSDN Win7Pro key.

Either way, if you are using Win7Pro in compliance with the MSDN licensing terms, that's fine.

MSDN licensing terms for OS, are a little different to MSDN licensing terms for non-OS products, as stated in the MSDN licensing info (it is assumed that you already have an OS license for the hardware)

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

Friday, May 09, 2014 11:42 PM
  • Gotcha, thank you for the information, so here is my example -

I got a MAK key for Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition, and I don't have the actual ISO for it, can I download the ISO from the MSDN, and activate it using my MAK for production purposes? This MAK keys is not used on any other systems.

WS2003 doesn't use MAK, it only uses VLK pkey or Retail pkey.
    If your MSDN subscription is provided via a VL agreement (like mine) then you should have the VL channel ISO and you can use your VLK pkey with that.
    If you have a Retail MSDN subscription, you will have a Retail pkey, and I'm fairly sure that a VLK pkey won't be acceptable for a Retail channel ISO.

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

Monday, May 12, 2014 9:03 PM
  • Hello,

Don is correct, for Windows Server 2003 the media and product key have to match.

So you would need a VL product key for Windows Server 2003 and you would need Windows Server 2003 VL media.

Thanks, Darrell Gorter [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, May 13, 2014 12:12 AM

All replies

• I'd get in touch with the MSDN online concierge.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/subscriptions/cc150618.aspx

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Friday, May 09, 2014 9:36 PM
  • a good forum for MSDN subscription questions is here: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?forum=msdnfeedback

MSDN subscription licensing info is here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/subscriptions/cc150618.aspx

In general, what you are *permitted* to do, and, the technical steps involved for *how* you do it, can be difficult to align.

MSDN Subscriptions are available in two licensing channels: Retail, and Volume Licensing.
    The Retail subscription doesn't offer exactly the same product licensing channels, compared to the VL MSDN Subscription, so, MSDN Retail might not offer the VL channel product you want, which means that MAK (which is a VL key) might not work.
    e.g. Win7Professional, via my VL MSDN, might be a VL channel product which accepts a VL MAK, but yours might only offer Win7Professional as a Retail channel product, which might not accept a VL MAK so you'd need to use your Retail MSDN Win7Pro key.

Either way, if you are using Win7Pro in compliance with the MSDN licensing terms, that's fine.

MSDN licensing terms for OS, are a little different to MSDN licensing terms for non-OS products, as stated in the MSDN licensing info (it is assumed that you already have an OS license for the hardware)

Don

Friday, May 09, 2014 11:42 PM

I got a MAK key for Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition, and I don't have the actual ISO for it, can I download the ISO from the MSDN, and activate it using my MAK for production purposes? This MAK keys is not used on any other systems.

Monday, May 12, 2014 11:33 AM

WS2003 doesn't use MAK, it only uses VLK pkey or Retail pkey.
    If your MSDN subscription is provided via a VL agreement (like mine) then you should have the VL channel ISO and you can use your VLK pkey with that.
    If you have a Retail MSDN subscription, you will have a Retail pkey, and I'm fairly sure that a VLK pkey won't be acceptable for a Retail channel ISO.

Don

Monday, May 12, 2014 9:03 PM
  • Hello,

Don is correct, for Windows Server 2003 the media and product key have to match.

So you would need a VL product key for Windows Server 2003 and you would need Windows Server 2003 VL media.

Thanks, Darrell Gorter [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, May 13, 2014 12:12 AM