The "Change PC settings" option is not available to all users

Question

• I just added a second user to my Win8RP.

Both are administrators.

The new user does NOT have access to the "Change PC settings" option.  The option appears at the bottom after clicking the 'Settings' charm.

It just hangs on the blue screen with the Settings Charm icon in the center of the screen.  I tried rebooting first before posting this, but the problem is persistent.

All users need to have access to the "Change PC settings" option, particularly if they are in the Administrators group.

Charles S. Cotton

Tuesday, June 05, 2012 3:34 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Please try the following method:

On Start Screen (Metro Screen), right click your account picture, select change account picture. It will enter into PC Settings as well.

Niki Han

TechNet Community Support

Thursday, June 07, 2012 7:57 AM
  • No, that doesn't work, either.

The exact same thing happens:  The blue 'splash' screen appears for a second and then the Metro start screen reappears.  This approach does work in the first account that was created when windows 8 rp was installed.

Charles S. Cotton

Thursday, June 07, 2012 12:09 PM
  • Is this problem with domain users only? Then I have the very same problem. I installed Windows 8 on two machines in our network. On both of them I can't open the PC settings with any domain account, only with local accounts. With the domain users it just shows the blue screen with the gear and then drops back to the start screen.
    Tuesday, November 27, 2012 10:45 PM
  • With the domain users it just shows the blue screen with the gear and then drops back to the start screen.

Try using ProcMon, filtering on only Process and Network, to compare those two cases?

FWIW I just did that and found that  %windir%\ImmersiveControlPanel\SystemSettings.exe  would be involved.  But when I tried to find that and do a Pin to Start what resulted was unusable--even more useless than your symptom.   I was hoping I could find a way to minimize your repro procedure to just clicking on a Start Screen icon.   So, failing that, the quickest seems to be  Win-I, Backtab, Enter.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Wednesday, November 28, 2012 3:06 AM
  • I checked the event logs and found some errors. Another google search led me to this thread:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w8itproinstall/thread/303f4c93-90c4-4457-8b16-f19bbb98a882

This is definitely related to our problems as the errors and scenario described therein are identical to at least mine. Unfortunately no answer was posted. I'm going to ask in that thread and I'm going to check our user group for any policy that might cause the behaviour...

btw, that SystemSettings.exe is a bit strange. Under C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs you find the actual lnk to the immersive control panel and that one points to %windir%\System32\Control.exe. Now I don't know how the control panel knows when to start as app and when as application but apparently it does.

• Edited by Krabat0903 Wednesday, November 28, 2012 9:02 AM
    Wednesday, November 28, 2012 8:59 AM
  • btw, that SystemSettings.exe is a bit strange. Under C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs you find the actual lnk to the immersive control panel and that one points to %windir%\System32\Control.exe.

Now I don't know how the control panel knows when to start as app and when as application but apparently it does.

Me neither but look at the Target type: Application

And drag that shortcut to an open Notepad window.   WTH?

Actually, even better, use a  strings  program on it, say from SysInternalsSuite.

Robert
    ---

Wednesday, November 28, 2012 5:41 PM