none
Increase timeout for .NET Data Provider for Teradata

Question

• Get the following error when trying to connect to Teradata:

'[DataSource.Error] Teradata: [.NET Data Provider for Teradata] [100038] Command did not complete within the time specified (timeout).

Is there a way to increase the timeout value in Power Query? 

Thursday, November 14, 2013 12:37 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Mike,

Unfortunately there is no way to modify the provider timeout in Power Query today. However, this is something that we have in our radar as a future improvement (though we can't provide an specific timeline at this point).

Thanks,
    M.

Friday, November 15, 2013 5:55 PM
    Owner
  • What is the current timeout value?
    Sunday, January 26, 2014 7:20 PM
  • Hi Chris,

For all providers, Power Query currently sets the command timeout to 600 seconds for any non-schema query. Schema queries get the default value, which is usually 30s for the Teradata provider installed on the machine. For connection timeouts, we only explicitly override the default value for Postgres. For the Teradata provider installed on my machine, there are the following defaults:

Connection Timeout = 20

Connection Pooling Timeout = 60

Node Down Timeout = 100

You can check the specific values in your machine using ILSpy or similar tool and exploring the Teradata Provider assemblies.

Thanks,
    M.

Monday, January 27, 2014 4:31 PM
    Owner
  • Hi Miguel,

I'm not familiar with the meaning of "non-schema query"

My queries are typically to web resources or OData.  What are those timeouts?

Thanks,
    Chris

Monday, January 27, 2014 4:41 PM
  • In this context, "all providers" means "all ADO.NET" providers and by "schema query" we just mean a query to fetch the database scheme i.e. "what tables does this database contain?"

For web and OData, we don't currently change the default HttpWebRequest timeout -- which is 100 seconds.

(It would have been helpful to specify the context of your question; because you're asking on a Teradata thread, we assumed you were talking about the Teradata provider.)
    Monday, January 27, 2014 4:49 PM