none
DPM writer was unable to snapshot the replica of DAG

Question

• Hi team, I have a DPM2012 issue and hope you can advise,thanks!

I need to use dpm2012 to backup exchange2010 with d2d ,then use netbackup for tape backup. so I  use dpmbackup.exe to backup the shadow copy . but I got the error when I ran the command here. 

The 3 causes it mentions didn't happen with my DPM . the dpm backup and sync all fine without errors on dpm console. By the way, will the command create a full copy of all replica and I need a same size of Storage LUN for this shadow copy?

C:\Program Files\Microsoft System Center 2012\DPM\DPM\bin>DpmBackup.exe -
    replica
    s
    DpmBackup 1.0 - Data Protection Manager backup command-line <a href="#" id="_GPLITA_1" in_rurl="http://i.tracksrv.com/click?v=U0c6NDIwNzY6MTg3ODp0b29sOmZkYWMyZGM3Mzk0NmQxZWI2YTY0MDc3YjM2N2MyNWY3OnotMTA2My0xMDMxNzY6c29jaWFsLnRlY2huZXQubWljcm9zb2Z0LmNvbTo1NTU2MjowNzM5ODYyMDMyY2MzMTc1MDRmYmViOGU4MzBlZWEzMg" style="text-decoration:underline;" title="Click to Continue > by Browse to Save">tool
    Copyright (c) 2012 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Replica of Microsoft Exchange Writer component Microsoft Exchange
    Server/Microso
    ft Information Store/exchange2010mailboxserver/96c35800-b368-4a2f-a006-fc89897e4323 on
    server X
    CHG1MBX1A.mydomain.com: Failed. Error code = VSS_E_WRITERERROR_NONRETRYABLE
    DPM writer was unable to snapshot the replica of DAG02-NOB-DB1. This may be
    due
    to:
    1) No valid recovery points present on the replica.
    2) Failure of the last express full backup job for the datasource.
    3) Failure while deleting the invalid incremental recovery points on the
    replica

Replica of Microsoft Exchange Writer component Microsoft Exchange
    Server/Microso
    ft Information Store/exchange2010mailboxserver/2e1f203e-891a-467c-94ff-9392f1e361e7 on
    server X
    CHG1MBX1A.mydomain.com: Failed. Error code = VSS_E_WRITERERROR_NONRETRYABLE
    DPM writer was unable to snapshot the replica of DAG02-NOB-DB2. This may be
    due
    to:
    1) No valid recovery points present on the replica.
    2) Failure of the last express <a href="#? id="_GPLITA_0? in_rurl="http://i.tracksrv.com/click?v=U0c6NDI4NTg6NDE6ZnVsbDozMGE4NmE1ZDUwNzZhYmM2Y2EyYmQxY2JmYzEyOGUwYTp6LTEwNjMtMTAzMTc2OnNvY2lhbC50ZWNobmV0Lm1pY3Jvc29mdC5jb206MDow" style="text-decoration:underline;" title="Click to Continue > by Browse to Save">full backup job for the datasource.
    3) Failure while deleting the invalid incremental recovery points on the
    replica

Thanks and best regards, -- KF

• Edited by kongfupanda Tuesday, July 02, 2013 3:38 PM update
    Tuesday, July 02, 2013 3:37 PM

All replies

• HI,

The snapshot is like any other snapshot, and uses recovery point volume to hold it.  You do not need any additional space.

Try removing that exchange DB from protection, retain the replica, then add it back to protection and see if that clears up the fault.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, July 04, 2013 8:27 PM