none
Searching for some help installing a brand new SP 2010 multi-server farm

Question

• My goal is to set up the following:

1 SQL Server - our database team has already created this

2 SP 2010 WFE

2 SP 2010 application servers

and I want the entire farm running SP 2010 SP 2.

I have installed SP 2010 and the service pack on a single server farm before. I have never set up a multiple server farm though.

I know that I want to start with one of the application servers, so that Central Admin runs there.

What I am not certain of are questions such as:

Do I go through the entire install on the 4 machines first, then apply the service pack to them?

Does anyone have a reliable source of information for things that I need to deal with while going through this process?

I have the luxury of walking through the steps and loading data on a dry run before I need to set up the final version.

I really would appreciate types and suggestions.

Is there a book, or a virtual class, that would be exceptionally valuable to use as a resource?

Thank you for all your suggestions.

Wednesday, October 30, 2013 1:36 PM

Answers

• I would patch before configuring the Service Applications.

The main reason for this is to reduce the risk that the patching process will break an existing service application. Some CUs have been known to do this to search and the UPS in particular. In other cases the process to configure the Service App is improved as you move up to more recent SP/CUs, again UPS is the classic example. In both cases you reduce the risk by configuring Service Apps after the patching.

Pre-creating databases in SQL is an advanced trick and is optional. SharePoint can create the databases itself and tidy up activities can deal with any less than ideal configuration later.

Tuesday, November 05, 2013 1:30 PM

All replies

• You can do it in either order. You'll need to run configuration wizard twice either way: once for the SharePoint2010 installation, again for the Service Pack.

So, whether you choose to install SharePoint2010 on all servers first, and then install the SP on all servers (which is probably the way I'd go, but that's just preference. I'd rather know that the farm was built, and then commit to the Service Packs.)

Once the farm is built, you can take a look in http://centraladminsitename/_admin/FarmServers.aspx

You'll see, under Status, whether or not action is required. For example, if the ServicePack has been installed and configured on all of your servers except one, you'll see that information under Status. If they all look good, you'll see "No Action Required".

• Edited by scogordo Wednesday, October 30, 2013 4:18 PM
    Wednesday, October 30, 2013 4:01 PM

You may consider following sequence; since you mentioned " I have never set up a multiple server farm though.".......below are steps

***SharePoint 2010 Installation and Configuration***

1. Install SharePoint 2010 on all 4 servers..
    2. Run SharePoint 2010 Configuration wizard on server designated to Host central Admin i.e Application server, say SPAPP1

2.1 select option....Create a New Server Farm....

2.2 select option....Host Central Administration site. Complete the wizard.

3. On renaming servers(2 WFE, 1 APP) in the farm, run configuration wizard

3.1 Join to existing server farm and provide configuration DB details provided in step 2

3.2 Do not host Central Administration site. Complete the wizard

Now follow below steps to install Service pack or Cumulative Update.

1. Install respective Service pack or Cumulative update on all servers in the farm, in any order. DO NOT RUN configuration wizard until you install same Service pack or Cumulative update on all servers in farm. Reboot servers if prompted for, in general it is better if you restart once.
    2. On Application server, hosting Central Admin, run SharePoint 2010 Configuration wizard FIRST, and wait until it completes i.e. running configuration wizard is sequential and has to be started first on Application server hosting Central admin.
    3. then run SharePoint configuration wizard on remaining servers, one at a time and wait for it to complete.

before this activity you shall make note of Current version of configuration DB by navigating to Central Admin-->Servers in Farm and after successful installation of service pack or Cumulative update again make note of the change in configuration DB version.

i wish this helps...

Naveed.DG MCITP, MCTS -SharePoint 2010 Administrator "Vote As Helpful" If it helps!!

Wednesday, October 30, 2013 6:03 PM
  • That is quite helpful information - thanks!

I think I agree that it is probably best to complete at least the basic install of SP 2010 before the Service Pack.

I should be able to install the SP before configuring the services, though, right?

I am still trying to figure out the steps to configure 2 WFE and 2 App Servers.

One document referred me to http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc288606(v=office.14).aspx - is it really true that to create a multiple server farm the process bounces around between several programs trying to get things set up ? Seems rather ragtag to me.

Wednesday, October 30, 2013 6:06 PM
  • Hi,

I believe in my previous reply (detailed steps) i have covered on "how to configure multiple server farm". I believe you may be having some specific configuration requirements.

may you please let us know, what are you trying to figure out in configuring 2 WFE and 2 App servers....?

Naveed.DG MCITP, MCTS -SharePoint 2010 Administrator "Vote As Helpful" If it helps!!

Tuesday, November 05, 2013 1:10 PM
  • I would patch before configuring the Service Applications.

The main reason for this is to reduce the risk that the patching process will break an existing service application. Some CUs have been known to do this to search and the UPS in particular. In other cases the process to configure the Service App is improved as you move up to more recent SP/CUs, again UPS is the classic example. In both cases you reduce the risk by configuring Service Apps after the patching.

Pre-creating databases in SQL is an advanced trick and is optional. SharePoint can create the databases itself and tidy up activities can deal with any less than ideal configuration later.

Tuesday, November 05, 2013 1:30 PM
  • your detailed answer above will be quite helpful.

What I still wasn't certain of was how to specify that server 1 is a WFE, server 2 is an App Server, etc. 

Things that seem obvious to someone who has been through the process seem daunting to someone not yet there.

I SO appreciate your help!

Tuesday, November 05, 2013 6:01 PM
  • I really appreciate the advice!

Thanks - these suggestions are going into my notes for "what to do next".

Tuesday, November 05, 2013 6:02 PM