none
Several SharePoint Servers In Different Locations

Question

• My scenario is as the following.

• There are several individual SharePoint Servers located in several geographical areas and they have their own individual AD user groups at the same SharePoint Server. In other words No central SharePoint Server.

SP Server 1 - New York

SP Server 2 - London

SP Server 3 - Paris

SP Server 4 - Melbourne

SP Server 5 - Tokyo

• Each SharePoint Server has its own document libraries.
    • All SharePoint Servers are in a single Server Farm.

My question is when  a user from the New York SharePoint Server wants to access a document in a document library in the Paris SharePoint Server. Then how am I supposed to do that?

Thank You,

Chiranthaka

Tuesday, October 22, 2013 4:22 AM

Answers

• You cannot make these SharePoint servers part of a single farm, they'll each have to be their own, independent farm (with local SQL Server to go with them).  SharePoint requires a 1Gbps connection with 1ms average latency over 10 minutes in order to function as a stretched farm.  Outside of those boundaries is unsupported and untested.

See here for more information: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc748824(v=office.14).aspx#Section4.

You can use a geo-replication product to synchronize content between the farms, such as Metalogix Replicator.

Trevor Seward, MCC

Follow or contact me at...

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Tuesday, October 22, 2013 5:51 AM
  • As Trevor says they must be created as seperate farms.

To allow users from the New York office to access the London farm you would need to have an AD trust in place between the London and New York domains. If that is in place you can grant permissions on the London farm for the New York users (and if it's a two way AD trust, vice versa).

Tuesday, October 22, 2013 11:29 AM
  • Alternatively, if a domain trust is unavailable, you can set up ADFS for each site.  If you do have a trust available with network connectivity, you can set up federated search so each SharePoint farm has knowledge of the other's search index.  This way you can search from the local farm and find results from the other farms.

Trevor Seward, MCC

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Tuesday, October 22, 2013 2:38 PM

All replies

• Is there any relation between those servers ?

Thanks Santhosh V

Tuesday, October 22, 2013 5:00 AM
  • You cannot make these SharePoint servers part of a single farm, they'll each have to be their own, independent farm (with local SQL Server to go with them).  SharePoint requires a 1Gbps connection with 1ms average latency over 10 minutes in order to function as a stretched farm.  Outside of those boundaries is unsupported and untested.

See here for more information: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc748824(v=office.14).aspx#Section4.

You can use a geo-replication product to synchronize content between the farms, such as Metalogix Replicator.

Trevor Seward, MCC

Tuesday, October 22, 2013 5:51 AM
  • Then how should I configure each SharePoint Server individually to allow to access libraries on other SharePoint Servers assuming that they all were connected using a VPN or suchlike? If you can, please mention about the how the user permissions to be care of.

Thank You,

Chiranthaka Jayakody.

Tuesday, October 22, 2013 10:56 AM
  • As Trevor says they must be created as seperate farms.

To allow users from the New York office to access the London farm you would need to have an AD trust in place between the London and New York domains. If that is in place you can grant permissions on the London farm for the New York users (and if it's a two way AD trust, vice versa).

Tuesday, October 22, 2013 11:29 AM
  • Alternatively, if a domain trust is unavailable, you can set up ADFS for each site.  If you do have a trust available with network connectivity, you can set up federated search so each SharePoint farm has knowledge of the other's search index.  This way you can search from the local farm and find results from the other farms.

Trevor Seward, MCC

Tuesday, October 22, 2013 2:38 PM
  • After making a trust connection between 2 domains will both domains shows the users of the other domain?
    Thursday, October 24, 2013 9:59 AM
  • Yes, with a 2-way forest-wide trust.  The SharePoint servers also need tcp/udp port access to the resolvable domain controllers in the trusted forest to resolve users.

Trevor Seward, MCC

Thursday, October 24, 2013 2:11 PM