none
SharePoint 2010 Database Configuration

Question

• Okay, this is driving me nuts.  I had a perfectly working SharePoint Server 2010 SP1 up and running on Windows Server 2008 R2.  Then I made the mistake of run Windows Update, and ever since then, I cannot get into SharePoint.  At first, it kept saying cannot find configuration database and aborted. 

Okay, so I decided to uninstall and reinstall SharePoint 2010.  I did that, but when I go in, and asks me to run the configuration wizard.  The first question is, Database Server.  Okay, I entered the exact same database sever name I use with my SQL Server 2012, which is install on the same server.  Oh, this is a full server, not a VM.  Anyway, every time I enter the database server name, it says "Failed to connect to database server.  Ensure the database server exists, it is Sql Server, and that you have the appropriate rights."  Well, it is SQL Server, I am the admin, and as I said, it is on the same machine, same domain, everything.  I went into it and have no problem create and opening databases in SQL server mgmt.

All of this happened right after I did a Windows Update. 

If anyone has any ideas of what I should try or more information I should supply to solve this debacle, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you in advance.

B.

Saturday, October 05, 2013 10:05 PM

Answers

• If you are using a SQL server with multiple instances installed then you need to specify the SQL server and instance when putting in the name of the SQL server.  Use the format of ServerName\InstanceName.

Paul Stork SharePoint Server MVP
    Principal Architect: Blue Chip Consulting Group
    Blog: http://dontpapanic.com/blog
    Twitter: Follow @pstork
    Please remember to mark your question as "answered" if this solves your problem.

Wednesday, October 09, 2013 3:55 PM

All replies

• First thing I would check would be the network connectivity between the SharePoint server and the database server.  See if you can ping the IP address of the database server.  If you can ping it check both servers to make sure that the Windows Firewall is turned off.  You can configure SharePoint and SQL so it will run with the Firewall turned on, but I usually turn it off to see if that's where the problem is.  That is usually the problem.  

Also check that all the services set to AutoStart have started after you applied the update.  If some necessaryservice isn't running that can cause this problem too.  Those are the first two things I would check.

Please remember to mark your question as "answered" if this solves your problem.

Sunday, October 06, 2013 1:45 AM
  • Thanks for the reply.  However, both SharePoint and SQL Server are on the same machine.  And, I log in as admin.

Sunday, October 06, 2013 2:54 AM
  • I could be wrong here but I've had some similar issues like this before;

When you run the config wizard and enter the DB Server does it resolve the Available databases? If not It could be a possible dns issue/networking issue;

If it does resolve the database names and you still cant proceed forward is most likely a permissions issue.

Sunday, October 06, 2013 4:43 AM
  • Firstly, I would check that SQL is up and running.  Can you log in to SQL Management Studio and access the instance and databases?  Also, when prompted for the database server, are you entering the full SERVER\INSTANCE or just SERVER?

If this all checks out then look at the SQL logs to see if there is a problem with the logon credentials being used, it will tell you if there has been a failed log in.  Maybe the user you are logged on with doesn't have access to the SQL database and you need to run it as a farm administrator, or other user with the appropriate rights.

Do you know what updates were installed?  Just a few since last month's patch Tuesday or several dating back a few months?

• Proposed as answer by Dai Webb Wednesday, October 16, 2013 8:05 AM
    Sunday, October 06, 2013 8:04 AM
  • Did you make any progress with this?
    Wednesday, October 09, 2013 12:25 PM
  • Unfortunately no.  I think the issue is something to do with SQL Server.  I have always been logging into SQL Server using sa/password.  So, I tried logging in with just Windows Authentication and it did not work.  That was strange as I never had that issue before.  So, I set it to single instance, using -m, and Windows Authentication worked.  But, then SharePoint said it could not find the configuration database in SQL Server.  So, I reinstalled SharePoint, but still received the same message.  I need my SQL Server to back to multi-instance, so I removed -m.  But, now my Windows Authentication doesn't work.  As you can see, this is all messed up.  Oh, and the Windows updates were just normal security updates.  Before them, however, everything was working fine.
    Wednesday, October 09, 2013 3:47 PM
  • If you are using a SQL server with multiple instances installed then you need to specify the SQL server and instance when putting in the name of the SQL server.  Use the format of ServerName\InstanceName.

Wednesday, October 09, 2013 3:55 PM