none
Speeding up access to local workstation files

Question

• I've published a RemoteApp (Excel 2010) on our Server 2012 R2 RDS machine. Users are opening files on their local computers from within the Excel RemoteApp, but every time they go to File --> Open, it takes the server a long time - several minutes in some instances - to enumerate/list all of the files in that person's local drive. Is there a way to speed up this process so that the list of files on the user's local machine are displayed more quickly? 

One thing I was thinking of trying was to enable File Indexing on the server, have the user log into the desktop and add the desired folder on their local machine as an indexing location. I also saw "Work Folders" listed as an installable Role on the server and thought that might be an option. Or, maybe try enabling User Profile Disks on my RDS Collection, set the location to be a local drive on the RDS server, and have it only sync the desired folder from the local workstation (i.e., Documents).

Thanks!

Shaun

Monday, July 14, 2014 2:32 PM

Answers

• We're using Windows 7 with RDP 8.1.

We don't have RD Gateway installed on our server, so I don't think that is the issue. We're not having trouble with slow logins, it's slow file enumeration when opening files on the local workstation from within the RemoteApp session.

Anyway, my problem is extremely specific - one user in this case, trying to access files in his local Documents folder - so what I ended up doing was using file redirection to store his Documents folder at a location on the RDS server (just go to properties of his Documents folder on his workstation, Location tab, then change location). Now he can open the files on the server itself and any changes he makes are synchronized back to his workstation.

Shaun

• Marked as answer by Shaunm001 Wednesday, July 16, 2014 1:26 PM
    Wednesday, July 16, 2014 1:26 PM

All replies

• Hi Shaun,

Thank you for posting in Windows Server Forum.

Which client OS and RDP version you are using for your environment?
    I suggest you to use RDP 8.1 for better feature and functionality. 

In addition suggest you to uncheck the option “Bypass RD Gateway server for local address” under RemoteApp manager and then check the result.

Also you can edit the default.aspx or desktop.aspx files depending on your needs that RD WebAccess uses.
    The following change needs to be done:

Old Code
                        if ((DefaultTSGateway != null) && (DefaultTSGateway.length > 0)) {
                            RDPstr += "gatewayusagemethod:i:2\n";
                            RDPstr += "gatewayprofileusagemethod:i:1\n";
                        }
    New Code
                        if ((DefaultTSGateway != null) && (DefaultTSGateway.length > 0)) {
                            RDPstr += "gatewayusagemethod:i:1\n";
                            RDPstr += "gatewayprofileusagemethod:i:1\n";
                        }
    (Quoted from this thread). Apart from this also go through below thread.

Remote App Slow Login Process
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/forums/windowsserver/en-US/679b7523-5794-49fc-a902-b73963e2293b/remote-app-slow-login-process

Hope it helps!

Thanks.

Dharmesh Solanki

Wednesday, July 16, 2014 1:55 AM
  • We're using Windows 7 with RDP 8.1.

We don't have RD Gateway installed on our server, so I don't think that is the issue. We're not having trouble with slow logins, it's slow file enumeration when opening files on the local workstation from within the RemoteApp session.

Anyway, my problem is extremely specific - one user in this case, trying to access files in his local Documents folder - so what I ended up doing was using file redirection to store his Documents folder at a location on the RDS server (just go to properties of his Documents folder on his workstation, Location tab, then change location). Now he can open the files on the server itself and any changes he makes are synchronized back to his workstation.

Shaun

• Marked as answer by Shaunm001 Wednesday, July 16, 2014 1:26 PM
    Wednesday, July 16, 2014 1:26 PM