none
Issues using HP SSM softpaqs with Windows 7 deployment task sequence

Question

• I have got HP SSM working to install some drivers and HP software that does not install well any other way.  It installs the drivers and software fine, but the task sequence always hangs when it gets to the end and tries to exit in a "not responding" state.  If I force it to close, then the task sequence continues and the rest of the deployment goes on.

I thought maybe the last driver install was hanging, so I tried removing it, but the same thing happened when it got to the end of installing all the software, so it doesn't matter which softpaq installs last.

The task sequence works and all the software and driver softpaqs successfully install.  The issue is that MDT does not cleanly exit this part of the task sequence.

Tuesday, May 21, 2013 10:54 PM

All replies

• This is what the error looks like:

If I click "close the program" it continues on.  If I don't, then it hangs here forever and the deployment will not complete.

Wednesday, May 22, 2013 12:40 AM
  • That's not really an MDT problem as much as it is a vendor application problem.  If you run this manually, does it throw the same error?  Can you run it with other command switches so it doesn't show the error and will let MDT continue on its own?

David Coulter | http://DCtheGeek.blogspot.com | @DCtheGeek

Wednesday, May 22, 2013 1:15 AM
  • I can use it outside of MDT without it hanging on exit.  So, it seemed as if something to do with running it in a task sequence causes it to hang.

Other people are using this tools within MDT 2012 without this issue.  So, I'm hoping someone knows what to do to prevent it or how to suppress that error page.

Wednesday, May 22, 2013 2:37 AM
  • What command are you using to run it?

David Coulter | http://DCtheGeek.blogspot.com | @DCtheGeek

Wednesday, May 22, 2013 3:27 AM
  • The command being used is \\server\HPUPDATES\SSM.exe \\server\HPUPDATES\ /ACCEPT /install  /CSPWD:Password /NOREBOOT.

Wednesday, May 22, 2013 3:39 AM
  • No experience with HP, but over in the right margin was this post:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/mdt/thread/332d62ed-5a35-4b76-a9a3-f3cfb9a6f2ff

"I just pass my quiet install commands directly against the SoftPaqs themselves for things like this that won't import into Out-of-Box Drivers. For example, here is what I'm using across the board on *all* our HP laptops right now (2000+ machines):"

HP Hotkey Support v3.5.15.1:

sp47618.exe /s /a /quiet /norestart

Validity Fingerprint Sensor Driver v4.0.15.0:

sp47594.exe /s /a /s

HP Quick Launch Buttons v6.50.17.1:

sp49104.exe /s /a /s

"I have them set up as applications and have included logic in CS.ini to do a check to see if its an HP laptop. If that criteria is met they install automatically."

======

I'm a little confused about your command lines, you don't usually add path information in the command line, that's better handled by MDT

• Edited by JoeZeppy Wednesday, May 22, 2013 7:46 PM
    Wednesday, May 22, 2013 7:43 PM
  • If you are running it as an application without source files, you have to put in the path.

What is the benefit of editing the cs.ini to check for hardware models vs filtering the application install with wmi query within the built-in task sequence options?

Thursday, May 23, 2013 4:31 AM
  • The command that I use for SSM during the task sequence is:

\\MDTServer\SSM\ssm.exe \\MDTServer\SSM /ACCEPT /TITLE:"HP Software Updates"

The whole procedure is documented at http://adminnexus.blogspot.com/2012/10/installing-hp-driver-packages-and.html#!/2012/10/installing-hp-driver-packages-and.html

Thursday, May 23, 2013 11:42 AM
  • The command that I use for SSM during the task sequence is:

\\MDTServer\SSM\ssm.exe \\MDTServer\SSM /ACCEPT /TITLE:"HP Software Updates"

The whole procedure is documented at http://adminnexus.blogspot.com/2012/10/installing-hp-driver-packages-and.html#!/2012/10/installing-hp-driver-packages-and.html

That seems pretty similar to what I'm already doing except that you have added "/TITLE:"HP Software Updates" and don't have the /NOREBOOT and don't have the a BIOS password.
    Thursday, May 23, 2013 3:28 PM
  • Oh I see. The path goes in the working directory, not in the install command, then MDT concatenates them.

I just pasted that text from the other post, I'd think the WMI query would acheive the same result.

• Edited by JoeZeppy Wednesday, May 29, 2013 4:12 PM
    Wednesday, May 29, 2013 4:09 PM
  • Does anyone have anything else to add?  I still can't get it to work via SSM so I created separate command line tasks to do silent install of all the HP software.

Everything is working except the BIOS update using the command HPQFlash.exe -s -a.

I think it needs to be able to handle the system being deployed having a BIOS password or not having one.  On new system out of the box, there would be no password because I scheduled the password creation task as a task that runs after the bios update task.

However, if we are reimaging an existing system, the bios password would already be set and the HPQFLASH command needs to be able to handle entering the password if needed.

The other problem I have is that I get a yellow screen at the end of the deployment because the HP software and driver installation tasks exit with an "unexpected" code,  All the software and drivers other than the BIOS update install successfully, but I still get several MDT errors about unexpected exit codes.

Any fix to this?

• Edited by MyGposts Tuesday, August 27, 2013 11:45 PM
    Tuesday, August 27, 2013 11:23 PM