none
DPM 2010 backup to tape Error (ID: 3311) (ID: 998)

Question

• Hello all,

I need to backup about 8 TB. A backup-2-tape job is set up. Shortly before the 8TB are backuped, DPM2010 stops with the following error:

Error Deatils:
    The back up to tape job failed for the following reason: (ID: 3311)
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff978771.aspx
    The operation failed because of a protection agent failure. (ID: 998)
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff973564.aspx

Recommanded Action:
    Retry the operation:

This error happened two times. I don't want to run the job a 3rd time, knowing that it will break up again after 50 hours.

I searched the web, but I did not find helpful information. Does anybody know a similar problem and perhaps has a solution trial?

Regards Wilfried

System configuration:
    SC DPM 2010
    Hardware: HP X1660 NAS 12TB.

Thursday, July 07, 2011 7:34 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Sorry for letting you wait, I was off for some days.

@Mike: thank you for your reply. Your post is absolutely correct.

I had a phone call with MS DPM Support. See there solution below:

Case: Our officially supported number of file to be backed up to tape is 3 Million, however the limitation on the number of files that get backed up to tape, depends on the size of the in media catalog (max 4 GB today) which in turn depends on the depth of the file path structure and long file names of the million files getting backed up.

Solution: Resolution Possible workaround would be to re-structure the data using mountpoints and let DPM protect the underlying mounted volumes so there is no more than ~3 Million files per volume.

I'm on the way to move my data in different partitions and start the DPM backup to tape. This may take until the end of the week.

At the end of the operation I'll post here how it worked out.

Cheers
    Wilfried

Tuesday, July 12, 2011 2:15 PM
  • Hi,

This fix is included in Rollup-6 fix for DPM 2010.

Description of hotfix rollup package 6 for System Center Data Protection Manager 2010
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2718797

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, July 17, 2012 4:26 PM

All replies

• Hi,

We need the detailed error code associated with the failure.    Is it ID 998 Details: The parameter is incorrect (0x80070057))" ?

If so we have a limit to the tape catalog that gets generated during backup, and the limit is exceeded due to the number of files and long file names used. The only workaround would be to use volume mounts points and move files onto seperate volumes so DPM can backup to tape without hitting the limit.

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Thursday, July 07, 2011 6:30 PM
  • Hi,

Sorry for letting you wait, I was off for some days.

@Mike: thank you for your reply. Your post is absolutely correct.

I had a phone call with MS DPM Support. See there solution below:

Case: Our officially supported number of file to be backed up to tape is 3 Million, however the limitation on the number of files that get backed up to tape, depends on the size of the in media catalog (max 4 GB today) which in turn depends on the depth of the file path structure and long file names of the million files getting backed up.

Solution: Resolution Possible workaround would be to re-structure the data using mountpoints and let DPM protect the underlying mounted volumes so there is no more than ~3 Million files per volume.

I'm on the way to move my data in different partitions and start the DPM backup to tape. This may take until the end of the week.

At the end of the operation I'll post here how it worked out.

Cheers
    Wilfried

Tuesday, July 12, 2011 2:15 PM
  • Bingo - thanks for the clarification - the answer supplied is correct.
    Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Tuesday, July 12, 2011 7:27 PM
  • Hi,

FYI - This problem is fixed in DPM 2012 and we have a test private available for DPM 2010 that will allow you to overcome the catalog size limitation when backing up to tape.  The private fix has a prerequisite of having DPM 2010 rollup fix 2615782 installed.  Since the private fix is not yet made public, you will need to open a support case to get the fix.  You will not be charged for the support incident, however we need the case so we can track who has the private.  

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Monday, February 20, 2012 3:23 PM
  • Is there a private hotfix number or case # associated with this hotfix that I can tell the MS rep to look at when I call? Thanks,
    Thursday, February 23, 2012 8:34 PM
  • Please provide the hotfix number or KB # for this solution.

Tuesday, July 17, 2012 2:41 PM
  • Hi,

This fix is included in Rollup-6 fix for DPM 2010.

Description of hotfix rollup package 6 for System Center Data Protection Manager 2010
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2718797

Tuesday, July 17, 2012 4:26 PM