none
Appdata Local Folder Redirection

Question

• Hello All,

We have an application that out TS users run in there sessions. This program crataes a file in there local profile under c:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\ApplicationName. This file store some database paths and user enterd information. We use RDP roaming profiles and thus this information is not copied back to the user profile share when they log off. So every time they log back on they have to reinput their information and DB path settings. The TS server is set to remove profiles on log off due to space requirements.

Is there a way with group policy or otherwise to redirect this application folder or have it saved to the users roaming profile.

Many thanks

Chris

Monday, April 18, 2011 8:07 AM

Answers

• Am 18.04.2011 10:07, schrieb Helfire:

this information is not copied back to the user profile share when they log off

You can edit it, but I would not recommend it.
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell
    Folders
    "Local AppData" = Reg_Expand_SZ

You do not want to sync "x" Gbyte of files on every login.

Mark

Mark Heitbrink - MVP Windows Server - Group Policy

Homepage:       www.gruppenrichtlinien.de - deutsch
    GPO Tool:       www.reg2xml.com - Registry Export File Converter
    NetworkTrayTool www.gruppenrichtlinien.de/tools/Networktraytool.htm

• Marked as answer by Helfire Tuesday, April 26, 2011 9:03 AM
    Monday, April 18, 2011 5:32 PM

All replies

• Hi,

There is no native way to redirect this folder or include it in roaming profiles. Both mechanisms are created to prevent this specific configuration since this folder is designed for storage of components that shouldn't be redirected or roam. 

You could easily create a logon/logoff script combo that copies the file up at the end of a session and down at the start of a session - essentially manual roaming for the file.

Thanks,

Guy

Monday, April 18, 2011 4:31 PM
  • Am 18.04.2011 10:07, schrieb Helfire:

this information is not copied back to the user profile share when they log off

You can edit it, but I would not recommend it.
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell
    Folders
    "Local AppData" = Reg_Expand_SZ

You do not want to sync "x" Gbyte of files on every login.

Mark

Mark Heitbrink - MVP Windows Server - Group Policy

Homepage:       www.gruppenrichtlinien.de - deutsch
    GPO Tool:       www.reg2xml.com - Registry Export File Converter
    NetworkTrayTool www.gruppenrichtlinien.de/tools/Networktraytool.htm

• Marked as answer by Helfire Tuesday, April 26, 2011 9:03 AM
    Monday, April 18, 2011 5:32 PM
  • Hi,

In addition to script, you may also use Registry Group Policy preference.

You can configure a Group Policy preference item in a Windows Server 2003 environment from either a Windows Server 2008/R2 server or a Windows Vista with Service Pack 1/Windows 7 client with RSAT update installed. If you do not have Windows Server 2008/R2 server, you can download and install Remote Server Administration Tools on a Windows Vista or Windows 7 client to manage and configure them.

Microsoft Remote Server Administration Tools for Windows Vista 
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=9FF6E897-23CE-4A36-B7FC-D52065DE9960&displaylang=en

Remote Server Administration Tools for Windows 7 

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=7D2F6AD7-656B-4313-A005-4E344E43997D&displaylang=en

The CSEs for the new Group Policy preference functionality are required in Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2), Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1 (SP1), and Windows Vista to process the new preference items. To download and install CSEs, please refer to the following link:

Information about new Group Policy preferences in Windows Server 2008

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943729

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Tuesday, April 19, 2011 5:08 AM
  • Hi,

Just to be clear, those solutions are not equivalent! A script can be used to keep the single config file synched whereas changing the User Shell registry key can cause a large amount of traffic on logon and logoff (my system has 12000 files and 2.5GB). Most software vendors write files to this location expecting them NOT to be redirected or roam.

The large amount of data sync can be prevented by adjusting the offline files settings to make sure that redirected folders aren't synched offline by default and redirecting this specific folder to a share that can't be synched offline but then if the redirected location is down, functionality can be seriously compromised.

Thanks,

Guy

Tuesday, April 19, 2011 3:46 PM
  • Hi,

I would like to confirm what is the current situation? If there is anything that I can do for you, please do not hesitate to let me know, and I will be happy to help.

Regards,

Arthur Li

TechNet Subscriber Support  in forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com .

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Monday, April 25, 2011 7:43 AM
  • Thanks for all the posible solutions to this problem. Having weighed them up i got back in touch with the software vendore and they have now created a new version of their software to save this one file to the users roaming profile.

Many thanks to all

Chris

Tuesday, April 26, 2011 9:05 AM
  • Thanks for all the posible solutions to this problem. Having weighed them up i got back in touch with the software vendore and they have now created a new version of their software to save this one file to the users roaming profile.

Many thanks to all

Chris

One of such softwares is IBM Lotus Notes 8.5.3. 

I couldn't yet get another way to do the Lotus Notes config on a Vmware Horizon View VDI setup. Cause each time the desktop logsoff it's flushed back to a default Image. Any clues/suggestions as i wouldn't like to redirect the Appdata Local due to the same reasons stated above?

Shiraz

Wednesday, September 25, 2013 8:22 AM