none
OMPM 2010 - strategy for Network File Share scans (importscans operation)

Question

• Our corporate environment has many servers.  To run the OMPM tool on the nework data servers /file shares the server team is likely going to run the OMPM scan from one desktop PC and scan one server at a time.

This will create one(or more) .cab file that will have the computer name of the machine being used to run the scan.  The same machine will probably be used to scan multiple servers.  This will be done consecutively but one complete scan operation at a time.  This will result in multiple .cab files with the same name.  I planned to move the .cab file to a secure location at the conclusion of each completed scan.

I had planned to use the "importscans" function after each server has been scanned.  However you get an error when you try to import a scan with the same computer name a second time.  (something like "a duplicate record exist" - type  message ... it makes sense).

Is there a method to import multiple scans with the same computer name?  Or is there a more obvious/better solution that I am not seeing?  

If I leave the .cab file in the original location (don't move it after the first scan) will the subsequent scan data simple be added to the existing .cab file(s)?

How have other techs approached LAN Shares scanning?

I hope that explanation makes sense.

ps:  Stupid question but...  should i just change the run ID for each subsequent scan?  Would the <same name> .cab file import correctly if the run id is different for each .cab file?  The reason I thought the run ID had to be the same was for reporting purposes.  Is this the obvoius solution I am overlooking?

Thanks

• Edited by ISMDude Tuesday, July 12, 2011 10:52 PM updated with stupid question !
    Tuesday, July 12, 2011 8:34 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Yes start with changing the runID...there is a registry key written with the ID and a scan with the same ID is not executed 2x on the same machine.

K

• Marked as answer by ISMDude Wednesday, July 13, 2011 8:17 PM
    Wednesday, July 13, 2011 6:42 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Yes start with changing the runID...there is a registry key written with the ID and a scan with the same ID is not executed 2x on the same machine.

K

• Marked as answer by ISMDude Wednesday, July 13, 2011 8:17 PM
    Wednesday, July 13, 2011 6:42 AM
  • Hey,

I am in the same boat as you, running one scan from a specific server that will also scan many other file servers.

How long did it take you.. it currently is my first file server scan, and its been going for over 2 days....

I would like to know more about your success, faliures....tips,tricks

CJ.Stacey@canaccord.com

Wednesday, February 29, 2012 11:22 PM