none
Create / remove GPT MBR volume on an SSD

Question

• I have a system based on a Asus P8Z68-V PRO MoBo, booting from a OCZ Vertex Ex2 SSD. This worked fine for 2 years.

After the MoBo failed, i replaced it with an identical one. But it would not boot to windows (7 Ult. 64b).

Re-installing windows also failed.

So, bright as ever, i removed the SSD and attached it to my other system, where i used Disk Management to delete all volumes from the SSD. Then i formatted it to NTFS, and executed the Convert to GPT option in the right click menu. Installing windows to it in the rebuilt system failed again because the SSD wasn't bootable.

Using diskpart on my other system shows that the SSD now contains two volumes: The first volume is listed as an NTFS partition of 223 GB Healthy, with drive letter E. The second volume is listed as a FAT32 (!) partition of 100MB Healty, Hidden, without a drive letter. In Disk Management the first volume shows on the right of that drive, and the second one is shown on the left as an EFI System Partition. When i right click on the drive, the Convert to MBR option is grayed out. In the right click menu on the EFI partition, only the Help option is active. All other choices are grey. So i can't remove that volume. I tried the diskpart command convert MBR on the EFI volume. That resulted in: "Virtual Disk Service error: The specified disk is not convertible. CDRoms and DVDs are examples of disks that are not convertible".

If anyone could please tell me how to get out of this hole i dug for myself, i would really appreciate it.

Saturday, September 28, 2013 3:41 PM

Answers

• If I were doing this I would clean the SSD with diskpart on your other computer, put it back where you want it and let Windows 7 take care of the partitioning and formatting.  This has worked well for me on many occasions.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

• Marked as answer by FrankvdRt Saturday, September 28, 2013 9:52 PM
    Saturday, September 28, 2013 4:14 PM
  • Then grab a free HDD utility via the web and clean the SSD.

CNet has WipeDisk @ http://download.cnet.com/WipeDisk/3000-2094_4-75449927.html

You can find other by Googling.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Saturday, September 28, 2013 5:49 PM
  • You may in fact have a bad/flaky SSD. Also please update firmware on your computer BIOS and mobo/chipset and, from a working computer, see if there is a firmware update for your SSD. Alternatively, try the same install on another computer with that same SSD.

If firmware updates don't do it and you get the same results in another computer, the SSD is flaky.

Please mark as answer or helpful if I was of help. Thank you.

tnjman

• Edited by TNJMAN Saturday, September 28, 2013 6:01 PM spelling
    Saturday, September 28, 2013 5:59 PM

All replies

• If I were doing this I would clean the SSD with diskpart on your other computer, put it back where you want it and let Windows 7 take care of the partitioning and formatting.  This has worked well for me on many occasions.

Saturday, September 28, 2013 4:14 PM
  • When i try to remove the EFI partition from the SSD, using diskpart Delete volume command on my other computer, i get a windows error window with the message "DiskPart has stopped working".
    Saturday, September 28, 2013 5:42 PM
  • Then grab a free HDD utility via the web and clean the SSD.

CNet has WipeDisk @ http://download.cnet.com/WipeDisk/3000-2094_4-75449927.html

You can find other by Googling.

Saturday, September 28, 2013 5:49 PM
  • You may in fact have a bad/flaky SSD. Also please update firmware on your computer BIOS and mobo/chipset and, from a working computer, see if there is a firmware update for your SSD. Alternatively, try the same install on another computer with that same SSD.

If firmware updates don't do it and you get the same results in another computer, the SSD is flaky.

Please mark as answer or helpful if I was of help. Thank you.

tnjman

• Edited by TNJMAN Saturday, September 28, 2013 6:01 PM spelling
    Saturday, September 28, 2013 5:59 PM
  • Hi Rick,

I tried WipeDisk. It couldn't access the EFI partition. I did run it on the NTFS partition. Every time the wipe process progressed a couple of percent, it stopped. Also, the drive letter for that NTFS partition vanished from Disk Management and Explorer. So i guess that confirms tnjman's answer below that the SSD is iffy.

So i took an old hard drive and removed all partitions from it as you suggested above and Windows installed just fine.

Thanks for the help.

Saturday, September 28, 2013 9:49 PM
  • Hi tnjman,

You were right, the SSD was faulty. Your answer, in combination with those from Rick Dee helped me solve my problem. Thanks for your help.

Saturday, September 28, 2013 9:52 PM
  • You're very welcome. Glad we could help. Sometimes, you can't see the forest for the flaky SSDs. LOL.

tnjman

Sunday, September 29, 2013 7:07 AM