none
DC has been using public DNS Servers for a long time - Will fixing this break anything?

Question

• Hi there,

We recently took over IT for a small business that uses SBS 2003 box which is in disrepair (yes, I realize this is the Windows Server general forum, but as far as I know, that makes no difference in this case). Among other things, its DNS client has been set to use public, Internet-based DNS servers for a long time, probably several years. We'd like to fix this in preparation for a migration to a new server which will be a DC, but are concerned that things may go south if we set the DNS client back it itself since it hasn't been for so long. So, we're just wondering if anyone has ever run into this before, and are there any negative side effects to fixing this problem? 

Thanks in advance!

Sunday, January 12, 2014 7:38 PM

Answers

• Well, first I would have wanted to know why someone did it in the first place...

I am guessing that all clients are using the SBS DC as their primary dns, and I can't see any issues changing the SBS DNS to it self, and make sure you have proper forwarders or root hints  configured on the server it self.

I've been running in to this issue Before, and the only thing that changed after we changed the dns was that we got rid of a lot of errors in the event logs.

Hope this helps you out, let us know if you do need further assistance!

/Johan

Microsoft Certified Trainer
    MCSE: Desktop, Server, Private Cloud, Messaging
    Blog: http://365lab.net

• Marked as answer by AITCanada Sunday, January 12, 2014 8:02 PM
    Sunday, January 12, 2014 7:45 PM

All replies

• Well, first I would have wanted to know why someone did it in the first place...

I am guessing that all clients are using the SBS DC as their primary dns, and I can't see any issues changing the SBS DNS to it self, and make sure you have proper forwarders or root hints  configured on the server it self.

I've been running in to this issue Before, and the only thing that changed after we changed the dns was that we got rid of a lot of errors in the event logs.

Hope this helps you out, let us know if you do need further assistance!

/Johan

• Marked as answer by AITCanada Sunday, January 12, 2014 8:02 PM
    Sunday, January 12, 2014 7:45 PM
  • Thanks, Johan. I will give it a try soon.

I, too, wonder why on earth someone did this. We've uncovered so many problems with this client's network that I truly say that their previous IT person had no idea what he was doing. On the one hand, I would love to just create a new AD forest and abandon this one, but there are some other dependencies that would make that cumbersome. 

On closer inspection, the DNS servers specified were OpenDNS IP's, so my guess is that the old IT person wanted to configure the network to use OpenDNS, but didn't know how to properly configure DNS forwarding.

Anyways, I will correct the DNS settings this week and see how it goes.

Thanks for your help!

Sunday, January 12, 2014 8:01 PM
  • Hi,

If you still want to use OpenDNS, be aware of their... somewhat interesting catch-all dns resolver, which can make troubleshooting a bit hard sometimes. (OpenDNS is the first Query below...)

Sunday, January 12, 2014 8:06 PM
  • Ah yes, I've run into that myself in the past...it's certainly very annoying! Thanks for the reminder.
    Sunday, January 12, 2014 9:50 PM