none
How to determine how many cores I need for a SQL 2012 VM install?

Question

• We are going to be upgrading from SQL 2008 Std to SQL 2012 Std and migrating to a virtual machine. How do I determine how many cores I need to assign to the SQL 2012 Std server so I can purchase the correct license?
    Monday, July 08, 2013 6:39 PM

Answers

• Hello,

Have look at the % Processor time counter on the operating system of your current server to know the current CPU usage.

Monitoring suites and tools like ManangeEngine Applications Manager can give you the CPU usage too.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

Monday, July 08, 2013 8:08 PM
  • Hello,

SQL Server 2012 standard edition support Server+CAL licensing model and Core-based model. When deploying SQL Server 2012 software in virtualized environments, we can license either individual virtual machines (VMs) as needed, For example, purchase a core license for each v-core (or virtual processor, virtual CPU, virtual thread) allocated to the VM. Or to license for maximum virtualization in highly virtualized, private cloud, or dynamic environments.
    (Notes:Within the Hyper-V role on Windows Server 2008 SP2 or Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1, a maximum of 4 (four) virtual processors can be allocated to virtual machines).

Reference:http://www.mssqltips.com/sqlservertip/2942/understanding-the-sql-server-2012-licensing-model/

Regards,
    Fanny Liu

If you have any feedback on our support, please click  here.

Fanny Liu
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, July 09, 2013 3:15 AM

All replies

• the below article might be of some help 

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143760.aspx

Nothing is Permanent... even Knowledge.... <br/> <a href="http://everysolution.wordpress.com/">My Blog</a>

Monday, July 08, 2013 7:06 PM
  • Hello,

Please run the following query on SQL Server 2008. It will provide you how many logical processors are available on your SQL Server 2008 instance.

select COUNT(*) from sys.dm_os_schedulers where status = 'VISIBLE ONLINE'

Assign the same quantity of virtual CPUs to virtual machine.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

Monday, July 08, 2013 7:26 PM
  • I know how many processors are available. That's not what I'm asking. What I need to figure out is if I really need that many processors, or if I need more. I don't want to buy licenses for processors that I don't really need. If I have 8 processors, but my server really only needs 4, then I'm wasting money purchasing licenses for 8. But if I have 8 processors now and my server could really benefit from having 12, then I want to know how to figure that out.
    Monday, July 08, 2013 7:30 PM
  • Hello,

Have look at the % Processor time counter on the operating system of your current server to know the current CPU usage.

Monitoring suites and tools like ManangeEngine Applications Manager can give you the CPU usage too.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

Monday, July 08, 2013 8:08 PM
  • Hello,

SQL Server 2012 standard edition support Server+CAL licensing model and Core-based model. When deploying SQL Server 2012 software in virtualized environments, we can license either individual virtual machines (VMs) as needed, For example, purchase a core license for each v-core (or virtual processor, virtual CPU, virtual thread) allocated to the VM. Or to license for maximum virtualization in highly virtualized, private cloud, or dynamic environments.
    (Notes:Within the Hyper-V role on Windows Server 2008 SP2 or Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1, a maximum of 4 (four) virtual processors can be allocated to virtual machines).

Reference:http://www.mssqltips.com/sqlservertip/2942/understanding-the-sql-server-2012-licensing-model/

Regards,
    Fanny Liu

If you have any feedback on our support, please click  here.

Fanny Liu
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, July 09, 2013 3:15 AM